Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to lose some weight on my next wheelset, but I also don't want to trash them in six months. I know the XTR and XC One wheels are much more intended for XC than all mountain, but I'm 165 lbs and don't tend to beat my wheel all that hard even on AM rides. The trails I ride are mostly combo of all mountain and aggressive XC-type terrain, and I ride a 5.5" FS bike. Don't usually hit SUPER gnarly trails, except on occasion.

I just found out I can get the XTRs for a great deal (around $550 new vs. $1,000 MSRP), so I'm tempted to give them a shot. (And I can get the XC Ones for about the same price.)

These wheelsets are light, but can either of them hold up to some all mountain abuse?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I could be wrong so don't quote me, but I seem to remember seeing the XTR wheels on the Giant Factory riders Super-D bike (I think it was Adam Craig's Giant Reign, but I could be wrong). Its been awhile and the site that had the build for his bike is no longer running.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run the Easton Havoc AM wheels and I am very happy with them. A little heavier than the XC 1 but are much beefier so its a trade off

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Easton is just about to introduce the bolt on rear hub upgrade kit for the Havoc AM wheels. I just had a chance to install one of these kits on my Havocs along with a 4 pawl freehub. Man that tightened up the rear swingarm on my Slayer SXC. Big 10mm diameter bolts and a very large head on the bolt using an 8mm hex key. A nice kit to install, comes complete with new hub bearings.

The Havocs are 1980gms but that's pretty light for a 28mm wide rim wheelset.

Brian Lopes was running Havoc AM's on his new Ibis Mojo at the recent Leapin' Lizard DH race.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had an Ibis Mojo for about 18 months now, the bike came with an XTR build and the wheels are oustanding, very stiff and light. I made the mistake of letting a clydsdale ride it and he wound my derailer into the spokes!!! I thought my wheel was toast but it was still true and I rode it for 4 months untill the damaged spoke finally gave out and I had to make a trip to the Bike Co. to get it fixed. I feel it was extraordinary durability from a wheelset. I am not saying other high end wheelsets would not have held up but this one did. I think it was money well spent @ $1000.00 much less $500.00. I have about 2500 miles on mine and no complaints.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I also have an Ibis MojoSL with XTR wheels. I don't have any complaints. They ride very nice, are pretty stiff, and seem to be built very well as they haven't come out of true yet (after 3.5 months). They are light, but I have Maxxis tubless Ignitor's on the front and back, and they aren't so light, so it is a wash.

I would recommend them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experience with both the Easton Havoc as well as the XC One wheels you are interested. The XC one are also very stiff and can recommend them for all-mountain use. I used them here in Europe on my trips to the Alps and had no problems at all.

The Havoc's are bomb proof and also fine wheels. I used both on my Epic and although the Havoc are almost 300gr heavier, I never have the feeling that they slow me down.

I cannot comment on the XTR wheels...no experience with those.

Good luck with your choice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
rockyuphill said:
Easton is just about to introduce the bolt on rear hub upgrade kit for the Havoc AM wheels. I just had a chance to install one of these kits on my Havocs along with a 4 pawl freehub. Man that tightened up the rear swingarm on my Slayer SXC. Big 10mm diameter bolts and a very large head on the bolt using an 8mm hex key. A nice kit to install, comes complete with new hub bearings.

The Havocs are 1980gms but that's pretty light for a 28mm wide rim wheelset.

Brian Lopes was running Havoc AM's on his new Ibis Mojo at the recent Leapin' Lizard DH race.
i've been waiting for this upgrade.. i'm also interested on the 4 pawl freehub. are the freehub from easton too?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your responses. I couldn't resist the great deal so I pulled the trigger on my new set of XTRs. Just got them installed on my Mojo today, so can't wait to try them tomorrow. Just doing a few hops and turns outside today they felt nice and stiff (not to mention they look sweet on my bike), so I have high hopes that they'll live a long and happy life with me. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts