Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if any two-niner riders have tried out the Yakima King Cobra rack that takes 29" wheeled bikes. I'm thinking about taking the plunge with one of these, but would be ordering sight unseen (outside of the Yakima catalogue).

I just finished a ride across Iowa (RAGBRAI) with the Karate Monkey mounted up with Specialized Infinity tires. Smooth ride all the way and it was nice to participate in some pacelines and hold my own with the 700c "roadie" crowd. I didn't ride the Monkey every day of the ride, but it did have somebody on it every day of the trip across Iowa as I alternated between a tandem, a recumbent and the Monkey. Another team member shared the Monkey and tandem with me all week long.

Glad to be back and getting ready for a family vacation that will include lots of mountain biking in Colorado, Utah and California the next two weeks.

Just need to know about the King Cobra as I think it would haul the Fisher 293 quite well according to the specs.

BB

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
The King Cobra is good in theory..but..
1. it suffers from working itself loose.
2. it's hideous
3. it's hideous

A good alternative would be the sportworks Bob Ratchet.
Sportworks
I use it for my 29er. There is a small trick to it, but it works and works well.

We have two and my wife loads it with ease. Much simpler than the Cobra and never becomes loose.

That being said.. i think i'll be swapping the ratchets to the bed rails on my truck and opting for fork mounts for the 29er. My bike is soo big that I just feel better keeping the profile lower...

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speedüb Nate said:
Yeah, the Cobra holds my Buzz Bomb just fine, with room for larger tires.

Rather than rehash, I'll direct you to this thread from yesterday:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=39756

Thanks for the replies and actual use observations Padre and Nate. The "RED KNOB" must be what you are making reference to in working itself loose, Padre.

I was interested in the King Cobra for 2 purposes. The most immediate would be an upcoming trip to the Wild West for some camping and riding. Thereafter, it would be an easy solution that doesn't involve removing wheels or using an attachment to carry a Sugar 293 to and from my favorite trails in the area on top of my old Honda Accord wagon which sports a Yakima rack on top.

In terms of the Wild West trip - we are taking 4 bikes on the trip. I have the option of carrying everything on the hitch rack (Yakima Roc 4). To do so, I would need to purchase one of those dealie-bobers that attaches to your head tube and seat tube to create a top tube for a Sugar 293 so you can hang it on the rack. With a two niner XL frame and everything hanging down low off the back of a Mecury Villager - I don't know how close to the ground this would put the bike as I haven't tried it. Nor do I know if those "false top tubes" or whatever you call them are the best way to carry such a bike for long distances. Does anyone here have any experiences they could share of carrying a Sugar or another fully in such a manner across the country and back? Does that attachment scratch things up? Is it a viable carrying method for long distances?

I have the Yakima towers and poles on top of the van along with a RocketBox - so I have room to put a bike or two up on top of the van along with camping gear. I was thinking the King Cobra might be a good solution if I wanted something on the roof that would carry a two niner and the front wheel. I have three tandem trays with the fork QR attachment method. I could certainly use one of them for the Sugar by removing the front wheel. The only problem there is we will have no room inside the van (family of 4 and 2 dogs) for the wheel which means I need to get a wheel carrier for my rack.

Plenty of options - just not sure which one will work the best.

BB

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Dude, if you have the option of the hitch.
Please go buy the Sportworks transport immediately.
Holds 29ers with ease and holds up to 4 bikes.
It's flawless.
Here's mine w/ 3 bikes on it.
No top-tube-hangy devices required...

And another with 3 really heavy bikes on it. Don't have the 4 attachement yet....
Been beating this for about 3 years.

Attachments

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ncj01 said:
Bruce, when are you gonna show us that 293?
Ha!

It's hanging here in the garage on my work stand receiving some finishing touches before the trip out west. For the heck of it and to try something new for me - I'm going with Mike T's idea of running the front brake with the right hand - so I'm working out the cable routing and the puzzle has me stumped at the moment. The rear brake cable stops on the frame are huge and there must be some sort of a rubber thing-a-ma-jig that goes in there to hold a full housing brake cable in place, but I obviously don't have the thing-a-ma-jiggies. If I do use those stops (which are more geared and angled for the rear V brake), it puts one heck of a bend in the cable at the rear and I think I want to avoid that to take any slop out of the rear brake.

I got the scotch tape off of the frame - finally. I will use Jagwire protecters any where the cables have the potential to rub the frame. Then I dropped the dang frame a few weeks ago and put about 4 scratches on it. I'll have to get some touch up paint to fix those spots.

I can shoot a picture and post it later today - as is. I was really waiting for my wheelset (Dyad's, Sapim spokes, King hubs) to arrive and mount up before I submitted an "official" all finished picture. This trip will be with the bike running the Mavic Speedcity's until the Dyad's arrive at the builders from Australia.

BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts