Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
hardcore on the bunnyhill
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any reviews of the specialized lock-on grips on here so I was wondering if anyone has tried them. I myself have actually never ridden a bike with lock-ons so I don't really know much about them. I did notice that the spesh ones only lock on the inside end of the grips, where as ones like Lizard skins have the lock on both ends (I think). I would think this would create a crappier hold...but like I said, I don't really know what I am talking about with these.

PS..I only ask about the spesh ones because I can get a better deal on them then other brands.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
out of curiosity are you guys using "xc" ones or the "rocco" ones (i think that is what they are called)?

·
for three!
208 Posts
Have the rocco ones on my hardtail, i think they are great. The roccos are a little thicker, which i like, than the xc's, and are very, very comfortable.(haven't tried the xc's though) . I think the hold is pretty solid, haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am running the Rocca's on my Pitch, Love them. They dont slip and have a great feel. I am also running the XC's on my trials bike, and are also perfect. I love the simplicity of the design and you dont have to worry about scratching up your bars. They are light too!

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I use the brown Rocca on my Epic XC race bike. I have the lock on the inside, near the shifters since I have bar-ends on the ends and didnt want the metal rubbing against the carbon bar-ends. They work fine.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I run Specialized lock-ons on three of my bikes now. I've had some slippage, but that's been down to my not tightening the bolts enough. A few turns of the wrench has taken care of any slippage.

I have to admit, I bought Specialized lock-ons mostly because they are what my dealer had in stock. I do, however, like the look that results from having the bolt on only one end. The grips are also really simple to get off and on -- only one bolt to play with, and no loose parts to keep track of.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i just love the specialize lock on xc grips -------they are so narrow and just perfect, ---they do not slip at all , and i feel way more incontrol with these on the bike , your gloves stick on them perfectly !!:thumbsup:

however ------i am a morron and an idiot and i ride in an area that really tears your bike up when you drop it , ------and my bike gets used by other guys while we are testing different suspension valving , tires and set ups -------so needless to say my poor bike get droped abit :madman: :madman: ,

so i had to go with a grip that has an aluminum cap or clamp on cup on the out side to save me from ruining my carbon bar all the time ( im getting tired buying the dam 711 mm carbon bars :madman: )

so i am running the lizerd skins Peaty grips , ------they are fat , and i do not like them , ---they wiggle on the bar , ----( just drives me nuts ) -----but my bike has been slamed down many times now and the ugly dumb Peaty grips do save the bars and the grips actually live -----which is a shame :madman: :confused:

i am going to have to machine up some little clamp ons that will go on the end of the specialized xc grips , ---i just have not had time

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
ekard said:
You mean like these: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=34931 ?

Just pick some up from your local dealer (or the website), flip your grips around so the clamp is on the outside, and go ride.

:thumbsup:
oh my god !!! -- you haved saved me hrs of work making something !!--,
i have not seen those ever , but i ask both my specialized dealers all the time and they have told me "they do not make anything"

now i can tell them , "yes they do make these"

i can't wait to get back on my spec lock on xc grips :thumbsup:

thanks ekard

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have these on two of my bikes and have stripped the threads on one when tightening. Otherwise they have been great.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I had a pair which I stripped the threads becuase they kept moving .Got another pair under warranty and they held fine but wore out quick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They can go either way. Most people I've seen (myself included) run them inside. I like to have my hands on the outer edge of the bars with just rubber out there and the clamp inside away from my hands.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Has anyone tried the specialized lock ons and the specialized enduro grip? I currently have the enduros and love them, but they slide all over the place. I want to try the lock ons, but they don't seem as "squishy" and "hand friendly" as the enduros.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I just got the lock-on rocco's and they are holding tight (at least here in my living room). They feel like they will be pretty comfy too. I got them to replace the enduro grips I had that just twisted all over. They were horrible. One thing I did notice though is that these lock-ons are almost 1 inch longer than the enduros were. They hang a good 3/4 inch off the end of my bars now. And no, I don't want to move my brakes/shifters in...I like them where they are.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.