Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What follows below is long and detailed, but the long and short of what I'm asking is this - is anyone out there running the new Fox remote, is anyone doing it on a float, and am I the only one so far running it on a Trek DRCV? If you answered yes to any of those, does it work alright?

Details are as follows -

I recently sent my 2013 spec Evolution series Float DRCV CTD rear shock back to fox for upgrades. Among them was conversion to remote activation of the CTD. I did the same with the fork. I set these up with separate remotes. When I got it back the action on the front was beautiful - smooth with solid resistance and a solid 'snap' return. The rear, however, felt like I was setting it up improperly. It required much more effort, as though there were high friction in the cable house. When set to climb (the bottom-most notch on the lever), and the return button is hit the force shakes the cable housing, and the nub at the end of the cable that seats it in the lever (it's a brake cable) pops out and then snaps back in. If the shock is under any compression the lever won't fully return until the shock cycles once or twice.

When this happened I first removed the entire setup, replaced the housing and the cable and reinstalled it, this time adding extra lubrication to the cable in the housing. Same result. I then took it to my LBS and asked them to install it. Same thing. Finally I called Fox, spoke to the warranty department and was asked to send it back.

It took three weeks from the time I sent it to the time I got it back. When I sent it in I removed the entire assembly and shipped it intact - lever to shock, the way it was installed on my bike. When I got it back that's how it came. The box also included a new lever and a hand written note. I accidentally threw away the note, but basically said here's a new lever, try both of them to see which works better (they're the same model), and play around with the cable tension to find a setting you like. It said nothing of the issue I described to the rep I spoke with (the note was signed with a different name). If they looked at my shock internally or otherwise they didn't mention it.

At any rate I crossed my fingers, reinstalled the shock and found that it's basically exactly the same, particularly after a ride.

So, again, is my experience unique? Does the rear remote just not work as well as the front? Any fixes? I was actually thinking of sending the entire setup to PUSH for further tuning mid season (the deer flies are absolutely awful for about two weeks in July), so I may ask if they can do something about it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry - I should have been clearer on that - the new 2014 model.

The lever for the rear shock is independent of the front - I have two levers; the one on the left operates the fork and the one on the right operates the shock.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really sorry for the bump here, but I just wanted to see if there's anyone out there with a similar experience/any ideas for a fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts