Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Avalanche Chubie on the way for my Id (7.5x2.0) and was wondering if anyone went with this shock option. I know that it's more of a downhill shock, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it over something else and what they thought of it in a trailbike application.

Bryan

·
Registered
257 Posts
I owned a 2001 Dare, and found with the stock Vanilla RC that the rear end was "either or". I could get the bike plush but not ramp up in time and it would bottom; or, it would not bottom but not be plush. I looked into getting an Avalanche for my frame and contacted them regarding the possibility (I got the president, I forget his name). He told me that the Avalanche would not fit on the Dare. There were no other platform shocks available at the time, so dismayed, I sold the frame.

Strangely, the guy who bought my Dare put it up for sale last year, and it is still for sale on the MTBR classified site, has an Avalanche on it. I do not know how or why. I was told flat out that it would not fit and yet there it is, on the very frame I had. I wonder what would of happened if I was told different. But that is in the past.

My friend's Rogue has a Fox propedal on it (the top model) and it exhibits none of the traits I remember. The rear end does feel a little dead, but it is not set up for my weight. But the shock does allow the rear end to be plush then ramp up, and the rear end is identical to a Dare. I cannot vouch for the wear and tear factor, and I have only seen an Avalanche and can report that they are well made. Apparently, any motorcycle shop can fix them. But definitely a higher-end option that is not readily available due to cost.

But worth it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an Avalanche Montie (monotube) on the way for a used Moment frame I bought without a shock. UPS says it'll be delivered tomorrow, and the bike is otherwise ready to go. I found the Avy since I wasn't able to find a good deal on a new DHX 5.0 in stock. Fox is apparantly backordered several weeks, and I only had to wait one week for the Avy. The retail price is the same.

I like the idea of a shock that was custom valved for me and my bike, rather than a generic shock with a bunch of knobs and dials to futz with. Every shock is built to order. The Montie is cheaper and lighter than a Chubie, and has basically the same internals. Not as many size options, though. I also have a MX suspension guru one block from my house, so he can perform any maintenance (oil changes, nitrogen recharging, Showa seals). Craig Seekins at Avy is real helpful, and their other products seem to have received excellent reviews.
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/

I'll let you all know how it rides in a couple of days.

As far as the Vanilla shocks, my understanding is that they're difficult to tune for frames that are real linear (or falling-rate). You either need a progressive coil spring (or air), or a shock with separate valving for bottom-out control.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the Avy Montie on my Moment. It's a nice shock, but I took it off and put on a Fox DHX Air '07. The Avy's are really nice, but they are damped pretty heavy. Since Avy is mainly a downhill shock company, they tend to design things that will take a beating and as such, their custom damping is still on the stiff side. For a heavy rider or someone who rides really aggressively, I would highly recommend it. Otherwise stick with the DHX-Air. I like my Moment a lot more since I changed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
WaState said:
I had the Avy Montie on my Moment. It's a nice shock, but I took it off and put on a Fox DHX Air '07. The Avy's are really nice, but they are damped pretty heavy. Since Avy is mainly a downhill shock company, they tend to design things that will take a beating and as such, their custom damping is still on the stiff side. For a heavy rider or someone who rides really aggressively, I would highly recommend it. Otherwise stick with the DHX-Air. I like my Moment a lot more since I changed.
I've just done two rides with the Montie on my Moment, which came in yesterday. You're right about the damping. I'm about 205 with gear and a fairly aggressive descender. The shock worked fine climbing, but when I turned around and started coming down, I was blown away. The compression damping really seems to give you something to push against and I was getting about twice as much air over little trail-side kickers. Also much smoother on small bumps than anything I'd tried before. I haven't had a chance to hit any real jumps, but it should shine there as well.

With a 600 lb spring I get about 30% sag at 1/2 turn of preload (Craig says don't use less preload than this). I could probably use a 550 for general trail riding, but the next lightest he has is a 500. I think the 600 will be perfect for bigger hits, though.

The construction is really burly, with details like stainless steel reducers with o-rings, and the brass rebound adjuster. I have no question that the shock will outlast any frame I'd be likely to put it on. Can other shocks be tuned to perform as well? Maybe, but the Montie was great right out of the box, and I have more confidence in its durability than any of the other options. Very good price as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lucky7 said:
I've got an Avalanche Chubie on the way for my Id ...
Ahah, it looks like you're the one who outbid me on that Ebay auction. I am hoping to California-ize my Id so if you want to sell your old 7.5 I2I, drop me a line.

BTW, you should like the performance of the Avy. If not, Craig should be able to set it up to your liking.

·
not so super...
11,461 Posts
Lucky7 said:
I've got an Avalanche Chubie on the way for my Id (7.5x2.0) and was wondering if anyone went with this shock option. I know that it's more of a downhill shock, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it over something else and what they thought of it in a trailbike application.

Bryan
I did a 14 mile trail test of a chubbie on my 6 pack and really liked it. handled the pedaling forces well and stil remained very plush over small hits. Big water bar jumps felt like landing on a pillow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I will probably have to have my Avys tuned for light compression since I don't do huge hucks (especially on the Id) and weight about 135 with gear. I'm just starting to really get to tuning my Avy on the Turner and am liking it more and more, hence the Avy for the Ellsworth. It will have to wait to be mounted though, since I just found out I cracked my rear hub almost completely across the hubshell and need to get it warranteed.

·
El Malo
551 Posts
I hate to burst any bubbles here, but based on my own personal experience riding on other ppl's bikes set up with Avalanche shocks, I'd have to say "did you not know that these are downhill specific shocks ?" I mean, each to it's own, but that's that, these aren't really XC or big hucking shocks, they're more DH oriented shocks that bear the MX design and application in mind...
Please correct my assumptions as necessary if otherwise...

·
not so super...
11,461 Posts
I hate to burst any bubbles here, but based on my own personal experience riding on other ppl's bikes set up with Avalanche shocks, I'd have to say "did you not know that these are downhill specific shocks ?" I mean, each to it's own, but that's that, these aren't really XC or big hucking shocks, they're more DH oriented shocks that bear the MX design and application in mind...
Please correct my assumptions as necessary if otherwise...
Not a DH specific shock at all. Craig custom tunes for each application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.