Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried a non platform shock on a VPP suspension yet (Nomad, Blur, 6.6, 5.5, VPX )? If so how does it pedal, does it bob a lot? On small bumps going downhill, does it perform better than the platform shock?

By non platform shock I'm thinking about the Marzo Rocco, CaneCreek Double Barrel, Avalanche or even the CaneCreek Cloud9.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have ridden both platform and regular on Blurs, one with a Fox AVA (no platform) and it was great. I also have a used a 5th element air. I now run the 5th's IFP (platform) pressure at 25psi (min recommended is 50psi) to minimize the platform. IMHO the VPP design really needs very little platform to perform best. Too much platform robs you of small bump sensitivity.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Blur LT

- Totally concur with that.
The lighter the platform the better, NONE at all would be nice.

Ohhhh to have the good ol' Float R High Volume shock back from my Classic Blur :(
Not that the RP3 is bad or anything, just unecessary.....

- I will say that on the Longer Travel bikes it likely is a necessary evil :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
No platform and loving it

I've been riding my classic Blur for over 2 years with the stock Fox AVA (no platform) and have never felt that I needed a platform shock. This bike still plasters ear-to-ear grins on my face every time I ride. I also have a 2004 Stumpy with the Fox Triad shock (platform, no platform and locked out) and on that bike I think the platform is a necessity. The FSR suspension tends to wallow too much when you put the hammer down. Something I never sense on the Blur.

Too bad they don't make the non-platform AVA anymore.

joe
spokane, wa

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
babar said:
DT swiss SSD 210 or 225 are one option no SPV and large air volume
- Yes, this is an interesting shock. It is new-ish I guess and comes from a good company.
Does anyone have any significant time on one yet???

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Banz, the DHX Air.

BanzaiRider said:
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried a non platform shock on a VPP suspension yet (Nomad, Blur, 6.6, 5.5, VPX )? If so how does it pedal, does it bob a lot? On small bumps going downhill, does it perform better than the platform shock?

By non platform shock I'm thinking about the Marzo Rocco, CaneCreek Double Barrel, Avalanche or even the CaneCreek Cloud9.

Thanks.
Banz, the VPP may be the ideal design for the characteristics of the DHX Air shock...at least as far as the Blur series and Nomad bikes are concerned. We haven't had a Nomad at our shop yet, but we have had the Blur and some BLTs. The Blur had the large air volume Float R, and I swear it felt as good as the BLTs with the Propedal RP3. I haven't gotten any real trail time on our BLTs, but they feel a little too efficient with the RP3 while riding around on our little "test" area behind our shop. I'm really thinking the DHX Air will be an ideal shock for the BLT and the Nomad...that design efficiency coupled with a plush air shock. That said, I'm finding the DHX Air to be an awesome shock for my trail Bullit. Even with the Propedal turned all the way off, the shock still provides very decent pedaling efficiency. I can't wait to ride this shock on the Nomad I ordered...someday.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TNC said:
That said, I'm finding the DHX Air to be an awesome shock for my trail Bullit. Even with the Propedal turned all the way off, the shock still provides very decent pedaling efficiency. I can't wait to ride this shock on the Nomad I ordered...someday.
TNC, that last sentence of yours to me pretty much tells the story, if the DHX Air with Propedal way off feels decent pedaling efficiency on your Bullit, then it is too much pedaling efficiency on a Nomad, 6.6 or BLT because those already have chain tension to keep their suspension in check at sag point while pedaling. Mind you my opinion is only based on theory (I've never even seen a VPP bike! haha) but now I think I would be willing to bet some money that a Nomad will feel very good with a DHX-A or C but will feel even better with a Marzo Rocco, CC Double Barrel, what the heck, maybe even a Cloud9!!!

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Except...

BanzaiRider said:
TNC, that last sentence of yours to me pretty much tells the story, if the DHX Air with Propedal way off feels decent pedaling efficiency on your Bullit, then it is too much pedaling efficiency on a Nomad, 6.6 or BLT because those already have chain tension to keep their suspension in check at sag point while pedaling. Mind you my opinion is only based on theory (I've never even seen a VPP bike! haha) but now I think I would be willing to bet some money that a Nomad will feel very good with a DHX-A or C but will feel even better with a Marzo Rocco, CC Double Barrel, what the heck, maybe even a Cloud9!!!
that the DHX Air has the most unusual characteristics of any shock I've ridden. I believe it will produce a nice plush result on just about any bike. Remember too that the Propedal on this shock doesn't operate exactly like the stable platform on Progressive or Manitou shocks. Banz, if you can get a ride on a bike with one of these on it, I think you'll see what I mean. It didn't act like the stable platform shock I thought it would be...it's better.

On the other hand, I'd have no reason to think that those shocks you have listed there wouldn't do a good job also. None of those shocks are offered as an option when ordering a frame, however. I've even asked about ordering a frame without a shock when talking to them at the shop, but SC says they don't offer that option. I don't know how flexible they might be on a shock other than what they list.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TNC said:
that the DHX Air has the most unusual characteristics of any shock I've ridden. I believe it will produce a nice plush result on just about any bike. Remember too that the Propedal on this shock doesn't operate exactly like the stable platform on Progressive or Manitou shocks. Banz, if you can get a ride on a bike with one of these on it, I think you'll see what I mean. It didn't act like the stable platform shock I thought it would be...it's better.

On the other hand, I'd have no reason to think that those shocks you have listed there wouldn't do a good job also. None of those shocks are offered as an option when ordering a frame, however. I've even asked about ordering a frame without a shock when talking to them at the shop, but SC says they don't offer that option. I don't know how flexible they might be on a shock other than what they list.
I'm with you TNC, the DHX-A must be good since SantaCruz and Intense both speced it on their offering but well, maybe they'll review that soon. I read that Intense is considering the CaneCreek DB as a shock option on their 6.6. I'm sure Marzo will be lobying hard also to spec the Rocco on some bikes in 2007 and since SantaCruz doesn't do calendar year bikes, they could well include it mid-year... Is it worth it to carry a pound more weight to have one of those coil shocks versus the DHX-A, that is still in the air but aapling72 seems to be overwhelmed by the performance of the CC DB...

·
sugoi chairinko
131 Posts
I'm a little late to post, but here's my 2 cents: I have two Blurs, one with an AVA, and one with a 5th Element, and I like the feel of the AVA better. It seems to be a little more plush, and the VPP does a good job filtering most of the bob. The 5th Element is firmer, and the bike has no bob. It feels more like a cross country racebike should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts