Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
implant
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the original Float R on my '06 East Peak. While the bike climbs great, I really don't like the (fixed) platform feature of this shock on descents or through rock gardens. It almost feels like my old hardtail.

Anyone tried a coil shock, either platform or not (such as an earlier Vanilla or a Vanilla with Propedal) on a pre-'07 Quad XC bike? Is there excessive bobbing when climbing with a non-platform shock?

Guess, I could always upgrade to a RP23 or a Rock Shox MC3.3, though either way, I'd constantly be flipping a lever on the shock for different conditions.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
A couple of months ago I put a cane creek cloud 9 on my 04 rock springs. before It had a float R with preset propedal as well. Can't say that I loved the float....at all. At the moment I have my brothers 05 attack trail with an rp3. I've took it out twice this weak after servicing the fork and setting the fork and shock up to my liking. I preferred my cloud 9 over the rp3, but I love a plush shock which the cloud 9 is (the rp3 isn't, at least in comparision to the C9).
It does have a semi-lockout (called RCA, I don't remember what the acronim stands for). I have never used it, so can't say if it works, or helps. I stand and pedal a bit each ride and if it does bob, it doesn't bother me. The bike still motors up the mountain for being how plush the shock is.
So if the the quad tara and quad xc have anything in common, I would give a look at a C9.
Depending on your preferences and riding style the C9 could be a contender.
Bunk

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
farmboy,
how did you get the QR shock mount out to remove the shock?
I removed the QR lever and the nut on the other side, but the bolt does not budge.
Someone mentioned that it needed to be pressed out, but is there another way?

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Strafer said:
farmboy,
how did you get the QR shock mount out to remove the shock?
I removed the QR lever and the nut on the other side, but the bolt does not budge.
Someone mentioned that it needed to be pressed out, but is there another way?
Strafer
mmm, it came right out by just pulling it with my hand. It only had a couple hrs. of use before I changed it out. I'm guessing you have a few more mile on it then I did, and that it's some how sesized up? I'm trying to think what you could spray on it to loosen it up other then wd 40. I guess if the QR shaft is steel that it could have bonded to the aluminum spacer and you could add ammonia to dissolve the bond. It will soften steel to aluminum bonds. I had to do this once to an old steel hardtail to remove the aluminum seat post. It would not have budged other wise. Other then that, I'm at a loss. Because it should be really fairly easy to remove...
If you do try one of those suggestions, let me know how it goes.
Bunk

·
implant
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just replaced the air Float R with an old (new stock) Vanilla RC coil shock, and so far, it's a big improvement, particularly in small bump compliance and when descending. I haven't even noticed any increase in bobbing when climbing without the (fixed) Propedal of the Float, so that's a tribute to the Marin frame design.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
xcessvnold,
glad to hear you like the non platform shock vanilla.

Strafer,
Any luck removing your shock? What are you wanting to replace it with? or are you just going to service your old shock (which I'm guessing is a float?).
Bunk

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Nope, no luck at all.
Dripped ammonia on the bolt, let it sit then drip some more, repeat.
Tried mallet then hammer, but could not budge it.
Oh well, gave me an excuse to order that Chumba XCL frame i've been drooling over!:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.