Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two Lyrics here: a 160 mm 2018 RC which i would intend on reducing to 140 mm with airshaft change , normal 51 deg offset

Also a 2020 ultimate , 150mm which i would probably leave as is , reviews say it sits down in the travel a bit , which customers didn't like but will be fine with me as i'd be happy with 140 mm of usable travel . Problem is this model is 42mm offset.

I've read a fair bit about changes , or lack of that the offset difference makes , but it would be nice to hear experience from fellow 2019 Fuel EX users if they have used forks with the shorter offset and how they got on.

I'm a trail rider who like most tries to find the gnarliest of trails in the area but bearing in mind i live in SW England it's not that gnarly. Don't care much about cross country times but don't want to turn the EX into a bus that handles badly at slow speed or is a real chore to ride uphill. Extra downhill performance is nice obv but needs to be balanced with normal trail ride ability.

I bought the Fuel really cheap second hand so that's why i didn't buy a remedy etc. instead ;)

Forks were special offers and CR didn't list the offsets on the ultimates but should be easy enough to send back the one i don't want as long as i don't use them so really want to make the right choice first time if possible. My current fork is a recon RL so no doubt both of the forks will be a huge step up in performance.

Any help gratefully received .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Curious about this too. 42mm vs 44mm, same dilemna for 2022 top fuel owner if they want to upgrage the sid to a pike for increasing the travel to 130mm. The only offset that I could find in available forks and that comes close to the same angle is 42mm With a pike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The upshot i got from reading a lot of articles is that it won't make much difference to anyone but a top level pro rider and if there is a small difference the riders adapts to it over time . I went with the 42mm offset and the bike rides great i don't find it at all sluggish or unwieldy at slow speeds . In my case there is a 9 mm difference between what i'm running and what is recommended . I'd say chances of anyone being able to even notice the difference of so small a difference as 2mm offset is highly unlikely .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.