Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I was riding Shimano SPD's for XC and then switched to flat pedals since I was riding more DH /freeride stuff.

Now I want to get a XC bike and will obvioulsy get better performance out of clipless pedals. But I still need to ride flats on my other bikes.

Anyone ride both types of pedals on a regular basis? I can picture me killing myself pretty fast!

·
Banned
683 Posts
Sounds like you have been riding for a while...you will be fine. I have clips on my Heckler, and flats on my DH-9 and ASX. No problems switching back and forth. I keep the real nasty stuff to my DH bikes anyway.

QUOTE=FISHLEG]Years ago I was riding Shimano SPD's for XC and then switched to flat pedals since I was riding more DH /freeride stuff.

Now I want to get a XC bike and will obvioulsy get better performance out of clipless pedals. But I still need to ride flats on my other bikes.

Anyone ride both types of pedals on a regular basis? I can picture me killing myself pretty fast![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
FISHLEG said:
Years ago I was riding Shimano SPD's for XC and then switched to flat pedals since I was riding more DH /freeride stuff.

Anyone ride both types of pedals on a regular basis? I can picture me killing myself pretty fast!
I use Mallets. I ride clipless on the trails and ride around town with regular shoes. I started with flats only. When I switched to clipless riding performance dramatically increased. Now I find it difficult to jump or ride the trails with regular shoes.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
I switch all the time

Clipless offroad (shimano 959) and flats around town (which is more often than offroad). I use either Ringle flats or some old Club roost Go Fast pedals, with spikes galore. Get used to riding flats and they'll make you all the better with clipless. You'll be bunny hopping 4 foot trees in no time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use those big ass shimano DH clipless jobs on my free-ride / urban assault bike, and flats on my single speed xc / commuting bike. Sort of the opposite of what people would normally do, but I like the extra power and smooth spin on my dual boinger, as well as being connected during jumps, while for my ss (a ridged) I like the convienince and crash safety, since I ride it in sketchier situations- bussy sidewalks, drunken latenight rampages, etc. Plus you will never have a smooth spin on a SS....

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
I use Mallets. I ride clipless on the trails and ride around town with regular shoes. I started with flats only. When I switched to clipless riding performance dramatically increased. Now I find it difficult to jump or ride the trails with regular shoes.
I just got Mallets last week. I got them cuz I thought they may be comfortable if I wanted to ride with reg shoes at times. Got them put on and off to the trails the same hour. What a way to test out clips.
Now I have Egg Beater cleats on my trail bike, SPD on my hardtail and SPD-R on my roadie. Funny, I only have one pair of shoes now so I'll be swapping cleats.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
bunny hop

neveride said:
Clipless offroad (shimano 959) and flats around town (which is more often than offroad). I use either Ringle flats or some old Club roost Go Fast pedals, with spikes galore. Get used to riding flats and they'll make you all the better with clipless. You'll be bunny hopping 4 foot trees in no time.
I've been riding flats for all riding for the past 4 years. Just got my first set of clipless. Went to bunny hop a little uphill jump I've hit numerous time with flats and went flying.

wooohoo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.