Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and goes out solo doing dropoffs and natural stunts deep in the woods where u really dont come across anyone. one thing for sure, you better be precise. Oh yeah, I dont have a cell phone. Just wondering if other people tame their ride if they cant get a riding buddy to come along.

·
Registered
629 Posts
calvinator said:
and goes out solo doing dropoffs and natural stunts deep in the woods where u really dont come across anyone. one thing for sure, you better be precise. Oh yeah, I dont have a cell phone. Just wondering if other people tame their ride if they cant get a riding buddy to come along.
buy a walkie talkie at walmart

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A lot of my friends kinda got out of riding so I ride solo probably over half the time. At first I toned it down but you can't keep that up forever. I do mostly urban riding so I'm sure someone will be there to laugh/help me when I fall off a wall or screw up a stair gap.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dandurston said:
A lot of my friends kinda got out of riding so I ride solo probably over half the time. At first I toned it down but you can't keep that up forever. I do mostly urban riding so I'm sure someone will be there to laugh/help me when I fall off a wall or screw up a stair gap.
Do you feel like you do less risky/challenging stuff when you are far away? ur right you cant tone down for too long.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
calvinator said:
I might still be stupid, but got a bit smarter when an endo put smashed end of handlebar into sternum and guts while alone late in the day about 6-7 miles from my car.

I have only done solo rides when and where there are others on the trail since then.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had been riding in Trumbull valley and came across 2 guys, one's ankle was snapped and dangling. The other guy walked out and to some houses to try and get help, but its a long rugged way in to where they were. A few weeks later I was ridin there w/ friends and they took off as I hit the log ride 1 more time, slipped comin off at the end and smashed my face into it(no full face yet). Tooth through the lips and saw stars, luckily caught up with them in the parking lot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I ride solo about 99% of the time, and yeah I do tend to ramp things up a bit when other people are there.

Actually, the only times I have really f'ed myself up have been while riding with others. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
get a phone

I reckon if you're out riding on your own you need some kind of communication device. Now, unless you're good at rubbin' two bits o' wood together and making smoke signals, i'd really recommend you get a mobile phone. Get a cheap pay as you go that you wouldn't mind loosing or breaking and take it with you. Could save your life!

:eek:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shoogly said:
I reckon if you're out riding on your own you need some kind of communication device. Now, unless you're good at rubbin' two bits o' wood together and making smoke signals, i'd really recommend you get a mobile phone. Get a cheap pay as you go that you wouldn't mind loosing or breaking and take it with you. Could save your life!

I probably should break down and get one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
shoogly said:

Very good idea, only they don't work where I ride. (I've tried!)

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
calvinator said:
I probably should break down and get one.
But good luck getting service in the middle of nowhere. Busted a derailleur hanger at the top of Poison Spider, no cell service, and no tools to do SS conversion. Big storm was coming too, so I was about to start walking down, but got a ride with a nice off-roader, the very people I was cursing the way down Amassa Back. Traded in a bit of karma on that one. If you are near a metropolitan area, you'll probably get service, but anywhere else hope you run into someone friendly.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
I ride alone most of the time. I try to ride with a cell phone everytime, but teh no service thing can mess that one up if it's the only lifeline. I'm working on a project for school right now that involves HAM and VHF radio stuff, and it seems like the handheld radios can connect you to something or someone just about anywhere. If you're knocked out, some of the radios have gps that is always reporting a position, and people can find out where the radio is located on maps online.

After a pretty good scare about possible broken ribs a long way from the car, I've toned down a bit when no one is within shouting distance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Techfreak said:
I ride solo about 99% of the time, and yeah I do tend to ramp things up a bit when other people are there.

Actually, the only times I have really f'ed myself up have been while riding with others. :rolleyes:
they were talking about toning down their riding when solo in case they get hurt and there is noone to help you, not because there is noone to show off in front of.

i ussualy don't ride solo, but if i do i stick to XC riding. I don't hit jumps when i am alone.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
calvinator said:
ride solo all the time but experience has taught to carry a spare tube, pump, chain tool, a compact tool kit, and cell where there is service...bike i can now fix on the fly, but have dislocated shoulder twice, elbow once, and lots of bumps/scrapes...and now know why sandpaper is made with sand

welcome to my world

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fair enough

Techfreak said:
Very good idea, only they don't work where I ride. (I've tried!)
Mobile phones tend to work almost everywhere over here - Scotland - and sometimes work better up in the hills and mountains than they do in cities and towns... or Glentress Car Park!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
But good luck getting service in the middle of nowhere. Busted a derailleur hanger at the top of Poison Spider, no cell service, and no tools to do SS conversion. Big storm was coming too, so I was about to start walking down, but got a ride with a nice off-roader, the very people I was cursing the way down Amassa Back. Traded in a bit of karma on that one. If you are near a metropolitan area, you'll probably get service, but anywhere else hope you run into someone friendly.
bring a poncho in a backpack for the weather, it makes for good coktail talk later on

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
I've been toning things down on solo rides after getting a few stark visions of my own mortality. Too many stitches and busted ankels with no one else around'll make you think twice about doing that drop or attempting the new gap. Whenever I go out alone now (which is about 80% of the time) I always carry my phone, ID, and health insurance info. I figure that between all that, if I'm found lying close to being dead in the middle of the trail, if (and it's a big IF) someone comes along, they'll have some way to contact someone. But, I typically ride places that have a decent amount of traffic that are relatively close to town....

·
the target bike basher
777 Posts
I am stupid.....but besides that, I love going alone, to the deep woods, doing drops, I feel alot better usally by myself and usally get way bigger air when no ones around(funny huh?) i dont feel any pressure to go big, i just hit what i want. kinda like when i bike to school, and skip study hall to go to the skatepark a half a mile away, all by my lonesome self.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have problems doing difficult rides alone. I find that I get tentative and I tend to eat it even harder as a result of being on the brakes too much. It's like my internal definitions of "fast" and "a big drop" change significantly, and I find it hard to ride comfortably and smoothly as a result.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.