Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
It ain't easy being Green
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
it's a fast course with only a couple short, steep climbs; 32:18 would probably be fine. You may have to walk up the 30ft "Marlin" climb but you won't spin out on the rest of the fast stuff. Pre-ride if you can.
 

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
I have always seen some guys out there on single speeds. They look like they are having fun.. There is one brutal SS climb though... Good luck. What are you riding so I can encourage you as I pass by on my geared bike:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I would think even a smaller gear. I rode a 1x9 and lost my low end after a crash but I still had a 28 or so and after a few laps I was cooked on the damn climb. After 5 laps and 50 miles and 6000 feet of climbing the damn climb is a little bit of a b*tch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for the info guys. I won't be able to pre-ride so I'll bring a selection of gears. I could start w/32x18 and change out to a 19 or 20 if needed later. I'll be on a 09 Gary Fisher Rig so be kind when you pass me!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aulmen said:
I would think even a smaller gear. I rode a 1x9 and lost my low end after a crash but I still had a 28 or so and after a few laps I was cooked on the damn climb. After 5 laps and 50 miles and 6000 feet of climbing the damn climb is a little bit of a b*tch.
I hear ya man. I did a 24hr race in Nov, SS, and that 18t was starting to suck on the climbs. Changed to 20t, cost me on the flats but saved me on the climbs. My average splits didn't change much at all in the end by going to the 20. Thanks.:thumbsup:
 

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
1sportsdoc said:
Hey, thanks for the info guys. I won't be able to pre-ride so I'll bring a selection of gears. I could start w/32x18 and change out to a 19 or 20 if needed later. I'll be on a 09 Gary Fisher Rig so be kind when you pass me!!
I suggest maybe starting with the 20 and then switching to 18....the climb is challenging on SS. Just my opinion...regardless of fitness level..this is what I would do. To hike a bike the entire climb will take forever...
 

·
It ain't easy being Green
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
No Dam climb on the January course! The "main" climb is just a short switchback and a bit of fire road, five minutes maximum. The rest of the climbing is much more spread out and the course is generally much faster than in November.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sdcadbiker said:
No Dam climb on the January course! The "main" climb is just a short switchback and a bit of fire road, five minutes maximum. The rest of the climbing is much more spread out and the course is generally much faster than in November.
This sounds like 32x18 to start and maybe for the whole race. Thanks for the thoughts guys, this helps me plan my first Solo SS 12 hr. Looking forward to the day. :cool:
 

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
sdcadbiker said:
No Dam climb on the January course! The "main" climb is just a short switchback and a bit of fire road, five minutes maximum. The rest of the climbing is much more spread out and the course is generally much faster than in November.
Good to know! Thanks..and YES this does change things for sportdoc. Good luck and see you at the race!
 

·
It ain't easy being Green
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Not really; the Vail sand drains pretty fast, a little rain the week before a race tends to make the dirt tacky and fast. Conditions were similar last year and the dirt was outstanding! It will not rain on race day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Even if the sandy soil drains better than most, I have a feeling that the course will be muddy given the huge amount of rain we are getting. I rode in the January race last year. The dirt was perfect but the amount of rain that fell the day before the race was nothing compared to the rain that is coming down this week.

This year I am riding my SS 29er. I just ordered a pair of Michelin XC AT tires for the conditions. Last year I completed 10 laps which was good enough for 3rd place in the beginner class. It will be interesting to see how well I can do this year on my SS. With the wet conditions and AT tires I am going with a 34x20. Sportsdoc1, I hope to see you on the trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
unclesam said:
Even if the sandy soil drains better than most, I have a feeling that the course will be muddy given the huge amount of rain we are getting. I rode in the January race last year. The dirt was perfect but the amount of rain that fell the day before the race was nothing compared to the rain that is coming down this week.

This year I am riding my SS 29er. I just ordered a pair of Michelin XC AT tires for the conditions. Last year I completed 10 laps which was good enough for 3rd place in the beginner class. It will be interesting to see how well I can do this year on my SS. With the wet conditions and AT tires I am going with a 34x20. Sportsdoc1, I hope to see you on the trail.
10 laps as a beginner is, uh um, sandbagging, best to move up.:nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kind of been on the fence this week regarding 12 hrs Temecula due to the rain, but now it looks like Saturday may be fairly good weather. That along with what has been posted here about the course, looks like it's a go!

Thank for all the feedback. :cool:
 

·
It ain't easy being Green
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Yeah, we might get lucky! I talked to JR the other day, he's going to be there all week working on course maintenance so at least we don't have to worry too much about soil erosion with the rain that's yet to come. I forgot to ask him about the June race location, dammit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
My Michelin XC AT tires came in today so I should be ready for a wet course. In response to the prior posts referring to me as a sandbagger for doing 10 laps in the beginner class, it was my first podium in a 12 hour race. The previous time I did the race solo, I only did six laps and I found myself in the ER the next day to have my appendix removed. I am now racing in the men's SS class which is "open". I hope we have a fun day of racing.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top