Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the cheapest way to ship a bike? I did the little calculate thing and it looks pretty expensive but I've heard it can be done for 50ish with own packaging. Who has experience on this subject?

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
FedEx Ground

Complete Bike? I've found FedEx Ground to be cheaper.

Frame only? USPS Priority works as well there.

Pack your bike well...get foam pipe insulation @ Hope Depot - Lowes...zip tie it to the tubes.
Zip tie everything!!!

I like to put an extra 2-3 layers of cardboard where my hubs kinda poke out.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
gnr0385 said:
What's the cheapest way to ship a bike? I did the little calculate thing and it looks pretty expensive but I've heard it can be done for 50ish with own packaging. Who has experience on this subject?
I've been told business-to-business is cheaper, so if you can ship from bike shop to bike shop, you might save a few bucks. Last time I shipped a bike, from NY to SF, it was around $40 with UPS, but that was 3 years ago. Fuel prices have probably raised shipping costs quite a bit.

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't IMBA members get a discount for shipping bikes? I think I remember something in the member packet about it. Too lazy to go look tho.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Buy Insurance!

This is probably blatantly obvious but whatever shipping method you use (we liked FedEx) be sure you have enough insurance on it to replace or repair your bike if damaged.

After a bike of mine was damaged enroute with UPS the adjuster who came and looked at it told me that damaged bikes were one of the most common claims. The extra insurance is only a few bucks - don't risk it to save money! Mine had over $300 damage and could have very easily been irreparable.

edit - oops - meant to reply to the original poster. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.