Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, there are classifieds on here....I know there is craigslist....maybe some of you just haven't gotten to posting it yet.

I recently (As in yesterday) went from a Toyota Tundra to a Toyota Tacoma, gas was absolutely killing me and the new Tacoma has a higher tow capacity for my camper so...WIN WIN. I reduced my bed size significantly as you can imagine and am in need of a hitch mount, tray style bike rack prefered.

I travel a ton between Marin and Monterey so I am not to comfortable just throwing my Carbon Transition over a tailgate pad on a regular basis. I have heard rumors its not good for the frame over long distances...

Anyways. If anyone is selling a rack or knows of someone selling a rack please send them my direction.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I know, there are classifieds on here....I know there is craigslist....maybe some of you just haven't gotten to posting it yet.

I recently (As in yesterday) went from a Toyota Tundra to a Toyota Tacoma, gas was absolutely killing me and the new Tacoma has a higher tow capacity for my camper so...WIN WIN. I reduced my bed size significantly as you can imagine and am in need of a hitch mount, tray style bike rack prefered.

I travel a ton between Marin and Monterey so I am not to comfortable just throwing my Carbon Transition over a tailgate pad on a regular basis. I have heard rumors its not good for the frame over long distances...

Anyways. If anyone is selling a rack or knows of someone selling a rack please send them my direction.
How much are you hoping to spend on a used rack?

·
Registered
399 Posts

Make sure you do your homework on fit. Many new trucks (I just bought a RAM 1500) have a thicker tailgate which means it may hit (rest on) your hitch rack when the tailgate is down. I have a rocky mounts split rail that I love (off my 2012 Frontier), but the new truck doesn't work. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out a fix. I've read that One Up racks have excellent clearance, but they aren't cheap... Good luck!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got a Thule T2 Pro 2" hitch that I use maybe only a couple of times year. Now that I have a Tacoma I almost always use a tailgate pad locally.

They're $600 + tax brand new (if you can be patient, they are allowed in the REI 20% off members sale). I'd let it go for $400 obo and it's located in Santa Rosa.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Tacoma has a higher tie capacity than a tundra? An old tundra?
No, I had a gen 2 tacoma back in the day, it had a lower tow capacity so I went with a Tundra, but the new gen 3 taco's have a higher tow capacity than the old gen 2 and my camper is well below the limits so I went back to the Taco mainly due to gas mileage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.