Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you 24hour racin' guys can likely relate to this glutton for punishment. His name is Geoff, and he's riding this rig around the world. I ran into him in Death Valley, and he said he'd just come south from SF. Gearless, but I think he's modified it to have a freewheel at least. I like the idea of touring, but seeing stuff like this (note the patella bands), I start to doubt. His sidekick was touring on a full sussie NRS, and I wondered if they're far out on each side of the happy medium.

BTW -- This might be the best testament to the Brooks saddle :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,263 Posts
105millimetersofpleasure said:
Some of you 24hour racin' guys can likely relate to this glutton for punishment. His name is Geoff, and he's riding this rig around the world. I ran into him in Death Valley, and he said he'd just come south from SF. Gearless, but I think he's modified it to have a freewheel at least. I like the idea of touring, but seeing stuff like this (note the patella bands), I start to doubt. His sidekick was touring on a full sussie NRS, and I wondered if they're far out on each side of the happy medium.

BTW -- This might be the best testament to the Brooks saddle :thumbsup:
Cool. I'm trying to figure out how he reaches that water bottle by his back tire.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I ran into him in Death Valley, and he said he'd just come south from SF.
I don't remember seeing them around here, and I'm pretty sure I would have remembered if I ran into an A's fan on the trail.

Cool though.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,694 Posts
EBrider said:
I don't remember seeing them around here, and I'm pretty sure I would have remembered if I ran into an A's fan on the trail.

Cool though.
105mm is the A's fan, unless I'm much mistaken. He's got good taste.

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not touring in jeans

Plim said:
Howdy Plim!
I believe baseball is best served live & in person. I have a love/hate relationship with the A's, but between the cement McAfee colander and the one across the water, I'll take the A's bleachers over SF's Disneyesque metro/retro park any day. Garlic fries & silicone are overrated.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
sorry but...

Howdy Plim!
I believe baseball is best served live & in person. I have a love/hate relationship with the A's, but between the cement McAfee colander and the one across the water, I'll take the A's bleachers over SF's Disneyesque metro/retro park any day. Garlic fries & silicone are overrated.
silicone may be overated but Garlic Fries are not!:p

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Silicone is not overated. There are many pics on the net to prove out that theory.

That bike and kit is uber cool. Does a SUV follow him around the world at 10mph?

Nice shirt 105!

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Meanwhile, there's a Nigerian lieutenant wearing a Giro road helmet. Someone traded up...

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Giant NRS "support vehicle"

rensho said:
Does a SUV follow him around the world at 10mph?
Between Furnace Creek and... where ever they were headed, there isn't much on the map; ~ 80 miles of hills, sand and salt from camp to Shoshone, NV. I get up late & groggy when I camp, and I think they were a bit behind and had several sightseeing stops to make along the way. The only SUV was his buddy on the NRS. It's possible that they were meeting up at regular intervals with someone, but at least through DV, it was just 'dem two nuts out there pedaling.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,694 Posts
baycat said:
A's suck!
:madmax:

I'm going to kick your ass the next time I see you. (Truth is no defense when bad-mouthing sports teams.)

Even worse, I'm gonna steal your beer.

·
Ground Pounder
310 Posts
I like the idea of touring, but seeing stuff like this (note the patella bands), I start to doubt. His sidekick was touring on a full sussie NRS, and I wondered if they're far out on each side of the happy medium.
Touring is great fun. I know this is cliché, but it's a great way to really see an area. People are friendlier and more approachable, you're not isolated from the world, and it's cheap with the exception of time. I did it when I quit my last job and moved out to the Bay Area. A month off to ride the Adventure Cycling Great Parks route. Total sweetness. We crossed the divide 12ish times in 30 days.

Here's my 29er, my happy medium rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Plim said:
Next ride, I'm bringing beer for all the A's fans:thumbsup:

Oh, and anyone on an old fashion bike with a pith helmet is welcome to a beer too.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
EBrider said:
Next ride, I'm bringing beer for all the A's fans:thumbsup:

Oh, and anyone on an old fashion bike with a pith helmet is welcome to a beer too.
I'll be bringing beer for Giants fans ... to cry into.

Really now, you signed Zito why? Perhaps if you paid more attention to the A's games while he was with them ... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts