Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here running SRAM Rise 40s with the stock SRAM rim tape under the Stans rim strip?

I recently purchased a new set of SRAM Rise 40's that came with the Stans rim strips in the box. Instructions said it was ok to go over the stock SRAM rim tape. Doing that, I've noticed that at the Valve stem area, the height of the SRAM and the Stans rim strips is very close to the rim edge. I'd like to verify this is ok before installing sealant and then finding the tire is not stable.

Answers, Suggestions?

Oh. 26" with Schwalbe Furious Freds

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have the 29" SRAM Rise 40's on my Tallboy, and I also had the Rise 40s on my 650b-converted Blur LT before I sold it. In both instances, I took the SRAM rim tape out immediately before installing the Stan's rim strips... I don't see why you'd want to leave the SRAM tape since it doesn't serve any purpose. FWIW, with the Stan's rim strips the tubeless setup has been perfect- I haven't lost a pound of pressure in over four months of consistent riding. I have a Maxxis Ardent 2.4" up front with a Honey Badger 2.2" in the rear and they were both super easy to seat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 29" SRAM Rise 40's on my Tallboy, and I also had the Rise 40s on my 650b-converted Blur LT before I sold it. In both instances, I took the SRAM rim tape out immediately before installing the Stan's rim strips... I don't see why you'd want to leave the SRAM tape since it doesn't serve any purpose. FWIW, with the Stan's rim strips the tubeless setup has been perfect- I haven't lost a pound of pressure in over four months of consistent riding. I have a Maxxis Ardent 2.4" up front with a Honey Badger 2.2" in the rear and they were both super easy to seat.
Are you running it without any additional Tape, or did you use the Stans brand recommended "thin tape?"

This:
Stan's Tubeless Rim Tape-25mm - Sport Chalet

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've run it two ways... on my current 29" SRAM Rise 40 wheelset I have the Stan's Rim Strips that came with the wheels. These: Cross Country 29er Rim Strip

On my old Blur LT conversion with the 650b wheelset, I ran those with Gorilla Tape instead of the Stan's tape and used removable-core Stan's valve stems. I personally can't stand the thin yellow Stan's tape, and I've never once had a problem using the 1" Gorilla Tape. Plus, it's like $3/roll at Home Depot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've run it two ways... on my current 29" SRAM Rise 40 wheelset I have the Stan's Rim Strips that came with the wheels. These: Cross Country 29er Rim Strip

On my old Blur LT conversion with the 650b wheelset, I ran those with Gorilla Tape instead of the Stan's tape and used removable-core Stan's valve stems. I personally can't stand the thin yellow Stan's tape, and I've never once had a problem using the 1" Gorilla Tape. Plus, it's like $3/roll at Home Depot.
Thanks for that info. I've seen the Gorrilla tape mentioned. I thought the Stans was some special tape. It seems it it purely for air-tightness and not chemical resistance.
I removed the existing rim tape, added the stans, and everything worked fine.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts