Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see if anyone was running platform pedals on their XC single. I would think it goes hand in hand with the simplicity of the full rigid single and would give your upper body an even better work out. I just don't know how easy it would be to give up my frogs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bluebeat007 said:
Just curious to see if anyone was running platform pedals on their XC single. I would think it goes hand in hand with the simplicity of the full rigid single and would give your upper body an even better work out. I just don't know how easy it would be to give up my frogs.
simple, yes. but far less efficient as well. I'm not sure how much it would affect your upper body either. I occassionaly slap on some bmx platforms for jumping or snow, but as soon as the climbing sets in, I'm sure missing my Times. If you were going to go straight retro-grouch, then toe clips would be in order...though i've always found them scarier than SPDs.

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
Bluebeat007 said:
I switch back and forth, though I do spend most of my time on clips. For me it has nothing to do with simplicity, and everything to do with skill. After riding clips for 7 years, I realized that there are many things that I just rely on my clips to keep me moving forward, particularly big step ups and tough technical sections. So I put the platforms back on. At first, I couldn't get over without the clips, but I learned some new skills and shorly I was flying through the section without any trouble. I put the clips back on, and I combined the two skills and it was that much smoother.

Frank

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking if your feet weren't attached, you would be using more upper body strength to get the bike off the ground (jumping, bunny hops, etc...) :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hams....

I use my hams a lot in climbing and that's nearly impossible with platforms and bumpy technical stuff, I have difficulty keeping my feet on the pedals (done in an adventure race).

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Frank Tuesday said:
I switch back and forth, though I do spend most of my time on clips. For me it has nothing to do with simplicity, and everything to do with skill. After riding clips for 7 years, I realized that there are many things that I just rely on my clips to keep me moving forward, particularly big step ups and tough technical sections. So I put the platforms back on. At first, I couldn't get over without the clips, but I learned some new skills and shorly I was flying through the section without any trouble. I put the clips back on, and I combined the two skills and it was that much smoother.

Frank
that's the shiznit. exactly what I do. rode the SS at a little micro-fest this weekend, platforms the whole time, but there was not a whit of climbing involved (4 turns of the crank was the longest uphill). much prefer the efficiency of clipped-in pedals for longer rides on the SS.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
PowerGrips

a nice cake said:
simple, yes. but far less efficient as well. I'm not sure how much it would affect your upper body either. I occassionaly slap on some bmx platforms for jumping or snow, but as soon as the climbing sets in, I'm sure missing my Times. If you were going to go straight retro-grouch, then toe clips would be in order...though i've always found them scarier than SPDs.
PowerGrips are way better than clips and straps and way safer and probably 99 percent as efficient as clipless, assuming you adjust them so they're snug but not tight and use shoes without huge honking lugwork on the soles.

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
I spent two years on platforms after building up my SS and deciding that SS and clipless at the same time was too much. After two years on platforms, I realized I wasn't makiing any more progress on platforms and slapped my old Times back on. I couldn't be happier. Clipless is the way to go for me, and I suspect for everybody. At least if you're using Times. I can't tell you that using "'beaters" of any other pedal would be as obliging to my my style, unless they had some Mini-platform to use.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
i run clips most of the time but when i go to downhill country (northstar and downieville downhill) i run platforms. There are people who run it on clips, but i usually pass em all and am able to go MUCH faster knowing that if i fall im not attached on there. Theres good reason all the hardcore downhill riders on freestyle bikes arent running clips either.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I run clipless platforms e.g. T_ime Z
The little times are so small my S_idi's would start to fold around them.
the Z's prevent this and I feel like more power goes to the pedal.
As far as platforms contributing more to upper body usage..okaaay..but, it's also, way less efficient.
we've already got no gears, got to get max power to the wheel, platforms waste power on the ups and on the flats it seems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.