Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone set these up on their bike. When I ordered the guy said I may need an extension kit but I had read that it was primarily needed for bigger bikes and I am on a medium. It looks like barely enough of the metal housing to run full length for the front brake! WTF???
Does anyone know how much more of the stuff is in an extension kit? At this point it does not even seem worthwhile, I am thinking to go with a combination of Avid full metal jackets and some pieces from my old flak jackets. Still I would like to try these Nokons if anyone can give some decent advice...

Thanks in advance,
C-

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey CDtofer

I'm running them on my XL Flux and they are very good, but don't expect much spare change out of a couple of hours as they are a complete and utter pain in the butt to fit. I don't think that I needed an extension kit and don't worry about the metal housing - these bits are only to be used where you would have the equivalent grey outer on an XTR set i.e. Shifter to Top Tube, Top Tube to Seat Tube.

They also come with a very thin inner similiar to the ones that are on your Avid's which runs the entire length from shifter to derailleur to provide the protection. Extremely fiddly to fit but good once in place, though I would question there need if you ride in conditions to say Aqua where there is very little mud / rain. A typical British winter and you'll be set! :D

Mfezi

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,162 Posts
Thumbs down!

I think they suck.

I tried the Aztec version, "Powerlines", or, whatever they're called. They were unneccessarily time consuming to setup and install. They took 3 or 4 rides to properly seat and bed in, with constant cable slack adjustments. The thin, clear, outercoating started to look ragged and wrinkled (like FoSnitzzles face), after a few weeks.

I promptly switched them out to the cheapo generic cables from Aztec.

They are a waste of money. Spend those $$ on a more worthy upgrade. Another example of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Attachments

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I misunderstood...

I thought the point was to run full length housing. :confused: This is what I did with my last bike and never had to change out my cables (at least for a couple years) Well that makes me feel a little better...

Guess I will set em up and see how they go...

Aqua,
Grrrrrr...kinda pisses me off. Talked to a couple people and they said both these and Full Metal Jackets by Avid made a difference for mech disks. I think my four year old idea of running full length regular cables was prolly the better idea.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've not used the Nokons for brakes, hydro all the way here, but the gear set is superb, no wrinkly plastic outer on the Nokons.
They do take a while to fit the first time, but once they are fitted with the full length inner liner there is no need to touch them again when changing the gear cable. They are a fantastic upgrade in wet and muddy conditions that would quickly seize up standard cables, they do seem to make gear changing snappier, they are great on tight, twisty cable routing making them ideal for a full sus as they don't kink, ever once fitted. Lube them with a little bit of cable magic when building them, just put a few drops in the inner and you're done, and an occasional lube a couple of times a year and they just keep on giving nice clean shifts. The inner liner is available separately so it can be replaced once it's worn out but I've yet to need to replace mine in over 18 months, the outer lasts forever.

One tip for threading the ferules onto the inner liner, put a gear cable in the liner, it makes it much easier to slide the ferules on and reduces the chances of kinking the liner. If you need to replace the liner later, again slide a cable through the inner and slide the extra cable into your already built set, it's then a simple job to slide the outer onto the new liner.

Maybe in dry dusty conditions it's not such an improvement but for riders in wet and muddy areas they are superb, if expensive. A standard set is long enough for a 6 Pack or 5 Spot ime.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tried 'em and dumped 'em

As a UK rider I got all excited about these things and my original build of the 5 Spot had a full set. I needed the extention kit to run a full length outer to the front brake (running Avid mechs front and rear) and they were a fiddle to fit.

I found the section to the rear mech was forever rolling into and scuffing the cassette in a scary way and no amount of zip-tying really cured it - a friend of mine had his roll into the cassette (on a Maverick ML7) and rip the cable and outer in 2 (his was set-up by a reputable shop btw).

Personally I found no advantage in feel for gears or brakes and the rubber protective outers became discoloured over time where dampness had got underneath.

I now run Avid Juicys on the Spot and XTR cables for the gears with no problems. I use bog-standard Shimano or Avid cables for the mechanicals which are now on a hardtail.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Deano said:
I found the section to the rear mech was forever rolling into and scuffing the cassette in a scary way and no amount of zip-tying really cured it - a friend of mine had his roll into the cassette (on a Maverick ML7) and rip the cable and outer in 2 (his was set-up by a reputable shop btw).
That would be with a Shimano rear mech I'm guessing with the big loop of cable just ready to snag anything that sticks out into the trail?

I'm using SRAM with a short, neat, straight in cable run and no problems with the Nokons catching the cassette or anything else. Chalk another black mark to the 'Big S' :p ;)

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
had em on my stumpjumper120. sucked. i tried to like em. they were a total pain in the balls to install, and they made the bike shift worse. the only sealed cable i've had luck with was Gore ride on cables. :confused:

edit- i used an aztec version of nokons. so i guess i'm full of it :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tried 'em, didn't get on with them. I'm now the proud owner of masses of black Nokon kit & liner, used only for my Avid mech rear brake on my hardtail & front mech look from TT to seat tube on my 5 Spot (& XCE before that), & IT cable on my Minute 3 forks.

Big criticisms:
Firstly, the cable run from TT to seat stay tends to droop outwards, even when run as short as possible. So it doesn't scratch the paint work but does catch my heel.
Secondly, the runs from shifters to stops take on all sorts of strange shapes and, frankly, look ugly as hell. Not a major point (irrelevant to some) but why spoil the look of such gorgeous bikes?
Thirdly, and worst of all, they creak & squeak on gear runs because they're under permanent compression. This is worst for the the shifter to TT run for the front mech (most compression). Again, difficult to notice when riding but on the stand or road it's really irritating.
I'd rather have silent cables that need replacing than noisy ones that need maintaining.

XTR cables work for me, even in UK weather. Well-sealed, replace annually, job's a good'un.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Agree. No need for anything other than XTR. I've run XTR gear cables on my 5 Spot for the last two years. Still working perfectly despite typical UK conditions- never even needed a drop of lube.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
mornin cdtosser. (i kid). im one to stand on my platform and holler about how big a diff the avid full metals make on mech discs. huge! im blown away that you didnt feel this too. ive never run the nokians and frankly, hadnt planned to, but ill continue to sing the praises of the avid stuff with bb7's on my flux. gettin close to the performance of hydos without all the headaches and expense. thinkin of throwin my spare set at the nickle bag to make the 5" / 6" swap a much easyer task with all the adapter spacing, rotor size/width and line length diffs i face each time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nokons

I used them for a while but eventually replaced them. I would say they did a good job in reducing the amount of crud that gets into the cable and thus kept the gears running smoother for longer.
However, I what I didn't like about them was the lack of flex in them. When the suspension bowed, the cable would flex out but would stay out and wouldn't flex back to it's original position. I found this a complete pain and eventually replaced to Avids which do a good enough job for me.

I wouldn't say they are a bad product at all, but in the end they just weren't for me.

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cactuscorn said:
im one to stand on my platform and holler about how big a diff the avid full metals make on mech discs. huge! im blown away that you didnt feel this too. ive never run the nokians and frankly, hadnt planned to, but ill continue to sing the praises of the avid stuff with bb7's on my flux. gettin close to the performance of hydos without all the headaches and expense.
Cactus,
This is what I was thinking, I have heard from several people that BOTH the full metals and Nokons (run full length) added a noticeable benefit. Since the full metals have some funky routing to deal with (considering they are a solid straight tube) I thought the nokons were the better deal. Plus they look pretty cool IMHO. Im a little miffed because for almost 60 bucks you dont get enough of the little metal tubing to even run full length for the front brake. I dont see that buying the extension kit will get me enough to run two full length housings (both fr and rr)
So now I have the set and dont know if its worth even setting it up. I think its crap that someone would sell a kit like this with about half of what is necessary to set it up. I understand that I should have bought the extension (will prolly do it since Im already in for 60 bones) and I wouldnt ***** if it was a "bit" short, but we are not talking a "bit" we are talking about a meter and a half or however long a rear brake cable is. I actually think it shipped with stuff missing :confused:

Hence my post...

Guess Im just grumpy as trying to get everything for a new build shipped in less than two weeks while Im visiting the fam was never going to be an ideal situation....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like the Nokons in regards to shifting and keeping the cable dirt free. I just couldn't stand the way they creak and sqeak. It seems like as soon as a little dirt gets in between the barrels it would make a noise with only the slightest of movement. I also agree with most of the other problems minus the bad shifting ones.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
What's wrong with XTR? It's cheap, lasts a good long time and very smooth. I think they did some shootout amongst these cables in one of the bike mags ( I think one of those British ones) and I remember it said that XTR and Dura ace gave the least amount of shifting resistance and lasted a long time. You can get almost four sets of the XTR shifter cables for one set of the Nokons. My shifters cables haven't been touched for two years running!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
gimme a set of plain ol' shimano/jagwire/bontrager/insertnameherecuzalmostallaremadebyjaganayway stainless steel cables and nylon lined housing. these fancy shmancy coated and sealed jobs have only caused me a loss of time, cash and a love life. girls hate guys who spend more on cables than her jewelry. but they dig a long stiffy so full metals are cool.

dont get too down cd. custom builds can be frustrating at times specially when trying out new things. stick with it and learn along the way. the next one will go much smoother and there will be a next one. yer a homer afterall.

·
Turner lurker
34 Posts
Aquaholic said:
I think they suck.

I tried the Aztec version, "Powerlines", or, whatever they're called. They were unneccessarily time consuming to setup and install.
Nokon and Aztec are different companies with different products. I use Nokon's on my Avid Mechanicals and they rock! Zero compression and they look way cool (red anodized). I'm not sure what could be the problem people are having with setup, for I found them quit easy to set up. However, I am a tinkerer and a longtime student of Ride On cables.

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
They lasted about 2 years on my spot. That's a fairly long time for cable housing. But I probably won't use them again. They are very flexible but they make lots of noise - all the creaking when they get dry, so you have to put some teflon or other lube on them to quiet them, and then that can attract dust and dirt. They corrode, so don't expect them to stay shiny for long. Then you will notice after a while that the cable looks like it's shorter and you sit there thinking how you know you made it plenty long enough, so you add some extra links, and what is happening is that the little segments are gradually wearing down, reducing the overall length, until you end up with something like in the pic below.

Attachments

·
Hisforever
1,863 Posts
Hey Aquahaulic, have you had any good conversations with Roy Mercer lately?

After running NOKONS, I currently have them installed for the FD&RD, I would say its a waste of money.

I was told they shift cleaner due to better compression, but the only thing I have noticed is that they are no better than the standard cable housing I had before.

waste of time, waste of money...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.