Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new RF stem with a bit of rise to experiment and help sweep me back a bit on my 06 RFX. I also chose the Deus because the clamp is narrower than the huge, wide Titec one I was using before. This allows it to play a bit nice for placement, especially on my old z1, where I had just a few mm's too short a steer tube.

So now since the clamp is like 10mm less wide, to start with a similar position, I put another 10mm spacer on the ST, so I'm looking at 30mm in spacers above the King topcap. Went for some short rides and the position is nice and I'm glad I kept the long steertube so I can play with it. I'm just a bit weirded out on 30mm of stack above the HS. I still have plenty of ST above it.

Anyhow, anyone running lots of stack? It didn't look so bad when the Titec was there because it's all ST clamp, but now it looks strange, especially since I got one of the polished Deus stems.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooooh, that frame looks familiar!

I don't know if this will be the final, but I wanted to actually get a few rides to see where I can optimize my position and see if I can improve it, especially on some weird technical stuff. I'm going back to Italy in the spring, so I want to prepare for the stuff I was having difficulty with, and laying back a bit is something I think is feasible, along with retuning my TALAS so I'm not dumping through travel for 3.5 inches. I've been looking to even get a 66, but at this point, I'm looking at things and thinking the cockpit geo is what's sketching me out and not really in tune with my riding needs.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I'm not sure if you meant the spacers are above or below the stem, but I always run a couple for easier resale value. That said, I try and keep it below my bar height, because I like at something like zilla's and just quiver with fear of a botched landing and stacking up on that - that could quite easily kill. I'm ok with falling, minor injuries, but the idea of death or long term medical problems from being skewered by my bike is scary. resale value isn't worth it. I don't think i'd go over 10mm above my stem

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, the stem is roughly at the same height, if we go by clamp centerline, except now the clamp is shorter, so then a spacer goes underneath to sort of baseline it into the position I was roughly in. I will likely drop it 5-10mm, as now I have a higher rise bar and a 6 degree angle on the stem.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a current shot, not that it matters anymore. You can also get a glimpse of the Hope Vision 1. Tiny, bright, and the batteries are AA's that are contained in the unit. It rocks, though I have snow, so can't really see how it would work in a completely dark trail.

Attachments

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
Bikezilla said:
SSINGA says no worries...Krispy Kreme Approved:
Ugh. Pics like that give me flashbacks to a muddy DH race, a log-induced partial dismount, the meeting of my junk/abdomen and a steertube stack like that, an eventual ER trip, and 3 weeks of purple privates. :) Consider yourself overly educated in my painful lesson.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Are you kidding Ritchie would never wouldn't have even heard of On One by the way who are they and why are we talking about them again :D

Funky :p

I don't think they could afford the Krispy Kremes for MBA, let alone the ink for a review :D

NO too SPACERs this is not COOL cats! its not franken its not retro, good will someone buy Ssinga a hacksaw!

What yer doing Jerky :confused: looks as bad as Ssinga's Totem pole u guy's competing, LOL, I dunno how use ride like that, truly! seriously..

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Different strokes for different folks I guess....I've always preferred my bars on the low side!
Low bars + short stem allows you to weight the front wheel through corners and dips. Low bars also flatten out your back and take some weight off your a$$, which for me at least, makes climbing with a short stem more tolerable.

Of course it's all relative to frame size....

High bars and short stem always had me falling off the back of the bike, personally.

Now somebody will probably post a link to the leelikesbikes article,
"How to make your MTB fit like a hybrid"
:p

But hey, if it works for you that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Anyhow, anyone running lots of stack? It didn't look so bad when the Titec was there because it's all ST clamp, but now it looks strange, especially since I got one of the polished Deus stems.
Not running a lot now on the RFX, but used to run 30mm on the Inbred and the El Padrino because of the stupid short HTs. The taller stack worked just fine, never had an issue. I'd say run them if it improves your position on the bike.

FoShizzle said:
good advice...you are definitely not badazz enough, a la Fo, to handle an On One
I hear they make great garage ornaments.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.