Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the weather is getting really cr4p here in the UK, my shifting is getting worse and being lazy when it comes to maintenance, I am really tempted by the Gore Ride On full length gear cable system which a couple of friends use.

I don't really fancy drilling the frame so is there an alternative?

Cheers

Chris

· cyco biker
62 Posts
The problem w/ a full length of housing presumably zip tied to the frame is all that housing presents potential housing compression & shifting idiosyncrasies. Also, the Gore cable tends to slough off it's fancy Gore coating as soon as your bike comes with in 50' of mud & then that sloughed stuff is like cholesterol in your arteries. It slows down the freedom of sliding for the cable. As much of a installation PITA & $$ as Nokon is, I like it cuz it's easy to occasionally pull out the cable, stick a Tri-flow nozzle in the end & flush the housing run & all the dirt out.

Bottom line, if you live in a wet environment, to keep your bike shifting like new takes giving it love every now & again . The average motocrosser spends just about as much time working on their toys as using them. Imagine saying to your significant other, "Sorry I can't take you out. I know I just got done getting my 2 hour endorphine fix but now & have to get my bike ready for my next ride." :yikes:

· Registered
321 Posts
hughjayteens said:
Now the weather is getting really cr4p here in the UK, my shifting is getting worse and being lazy when it comes to maintenance, I am really tempted by the Gore Ride On full length gear cable system which a couple of friends use.

I don't really fancy drilling the frame so is there an alternative?

Cheers

Chris
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28123

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the feedback - my friend runs gore on his bikes and raves about them, but he doesn't ride in the wet and mud as much as I do. It's quite gritty where I ride and is notorious for destroying brakes pads, so I was hoping there would be a low maintenance solution that worked well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.