Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dudette
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to swap out my Race Face BB and cranks for some Canfield cranks (155mm) and BB. Their BB is similar (same?) as the GXP. Anyone know if I'll need to run any spacers on the drive and non-drive side? My Atlas has three spacers (didn't measure the width) on both the drive and non-drive side. Not sure if it matters but I have a 2018 alloy Shred Dogg.

·
Dudette
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I'd been exclusively riding my hard tail for almost the last two years (needed to replace the dropper for one and couldn't get a regular seat post to insert beyond an inch or two). I'd totally forgotten how much fun a FS could be - but definitely noticed an increase in pedal strikes. I've been hearing good things about short cranks and figured, why not? :D

·
Dudette
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I'm a little confused...the chain line on a 2017 GG Shred Dogg is 55mm. With the Canfield Cranks and zero offset chain ring, the chain line is 52mm...is that correct? Anyone having weird shifting issues with that? Canfield suggested to get to a 55mm chain line that I get a Wolf Tooth SRAM spider that has +4 offset and zero offset chain ring and that should bring it in line?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Okay, I'm a little confused...the chain line on a 2017 GG Shred Dogg is 55mm. With the Canfield Cranks and zero offset chain ring, the chain line is 52mm...is that correct? Anyone having weird shifting issues with that? Canfield suggested to get to a 55mm chain line that I get a Wolf Tooth SRAM spider that has +4 offset and zero offset chain ring and that should bring it in line?
On my 2018 Shred Dogg I have a Oneup Switch Chainring (30t) with zero offset. I measure 55mm from the Chainring to the center of the BB.

·
Dudette
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my 2018 Shred Dogg I have a Oneup Switch Chainring (30t) with zero offset. I measure 55mm from the Chainring to the center of the BB.
Cool. I have a North Shore Billet zero offset 28T chain ring on my Canfield crankset, but shifting felt a little off/less smooth. Kinda miss the good ol' days when you didn't have to think about different chain line standards ;).

·
Dudette
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cranks are on and finally got a decent ride on them today. Took a little getting used to initially, especially on the climbs...felt like I could use one more gear at first, but then it felt fine. Definitely less pedal strikes. The thing I liked the most so far though is the feeling that I can really get on top of the pedal and drive it down, particularly when I'm needing an extra boost to get over something.

Last question - because I don't remember how much chainring clearance I had with my Race Face Cinch cranks and chainring, but it looks like I only have max 5mm of space between my 28T zero offset chain ring and chain stay. Is that enough? I have a good cm between my chain ring and chainstay on my other bikes. The other thing I noticed was the DS crank arm was closer to the chainstay than the NDS. Shouldn't they be the same distance from the chain stay? Everything is installed correctly (zero BB spacers for the 73mm BB shell) and nothing's loose. No play. Am I missing anything or just overthinking?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.