Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built a new steed on a 2012 Reign X frame with a 160mm Pike up front (542mm A-C). Loving it so far, but I feel like a slacker front would further help realizing the downhill-capabilities of the bike. Just having second thoughts about lengthening the already long wheelbase, and that it might make the bike too sluggish for general trail use.

Any experiences? -1 or -1.5 degrees?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Does it work ok in tight techy stuff? 65.5 or a little above shouldn't be a problem I guess.

·
May contain nuts
2,381 Posts
Yep, no problems at all, but then I like slack and don't mind a bit of flop. 65 is the new 67...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm running a Works -1.5 with Fox 36 160. Feels good, a bit floppy but good on the downhills, climbs ok, Talas fork so I drop to 140 on steeper climbs.

I wouldn't take it off for the stock step up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds awesome... I can lower the Pike to 130mm for the climbs, which will effectively bring back the head angle to 67 degrees if I slacken it out to 65,5 with a new headset. The frame is amazingly lightweight, and the Pike weighs only 1900 gram. My target weight is 12.5kg (circa 27,5lb) with tubeless setup. Granted this will be more of a long legged trail bike rather than bomb proof enduro.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have built a Reign X over the past few months but it never really crossed my mind about the angle set,might give it a go , so is it Cane Creek one ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll go for a Works Components headset. I have one on my Iron Horse mkIII and its great value for money. If you have a straight tube fork maybe you should check out the FSA Orbit headset.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok thanks just looked at their site its over here in the UK will measure up and check everything, the fork is a Fox 36 tapered 160 talas 2013

·
May contain nuts
2,381 Posts
Main motivation was to go tubeless, 27.5 was just an experiment but also I wanted to slack it out a bit. Works well and seems to have a bit more roll in the lumpy stuff. Wider rims and lighter wheels don't hurt too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thank you. I also have a Reign (the SX model) and I plan to replace my Domain R with a 160mm Pike 27.5 in order to keep the same a2c and also to try a 27.5 front tire. At least this is the plan unless Rockshox puts the charger damper in a Lyrik as they did with the updated Boxxer.

·
May contain nuts
2,381 Posts
Very nice setup. Is the coil not too linear for this frame? Air shocks ramp up a bit better, but lose in the small bump dept... Was that the motivation? Weight?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks, The coil is perfect for this bike in my opinion the ride is solid , the spring has been custom made for me by ti- springs .com, I also fitted a spring bearing at the same time, the weight factor is a bonus, I could not live with the DHX 5.0 it was so wallowy going down hill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts