Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 2003 AS-R SL with a failing Progressive 5th Element shock. I am currently looking into the RockShox Monarch as a replacement since I can get a good price on it. However, I'm not sure if these work well with this bike or if the necessary hardware to mount it is available. Yeti offers a Fox mounting kit, for example. (I am waiting to hear back from Yeti if they know.) Does anyone have any personal experience with this shock on this bike?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Monarch is a great shock for that model bike. Are you getting the 3.3/4.2 or the RCT3?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just trying to find out if any of them would be a good fit first...performance-wise and also would the Fox shock mounting kit work if I went with a Rockshox shock? I'd have to get that kit if I were to replace my Progressive with a Fox.

As for the actual model, I've only recently (like yesterday) started to look at these as an option but I don't see anything listed as 3.3/4.2. The models on their website are:
XX
RL
RT3
RT
R

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old thread but I never updated it for future reference should anyone else find it helpful. I had to order the fox shock mounting hardware kit from Yeti then was able to install the RT3. I liked how the bike rode with the new shock better than the original one. I'm sure it has to do with the newer technology but also being able to set it to "open or unlocked" on descents made the bike that much better to ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts