Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received a Honzo ESD frame to replace my broken Honzo AL frame back in April, and moved all my parts over to the ESD.

I've been running a '20 Marz Z2 at 140mm and for the most part it is fine. On smooth trails with occasional jumps, chunk, and drops it is great. I've been meaning to get the 150mm air shaft so the frame rides as intended, but there hasn't been one available for sale all year.

Problem is, I like to ride chunk, roots; gnar. I've come to the conclusion that air forks are just not good enough for me. No matter which ones I try or how I adjust them, they all suffer in high speed chatter.

This leads to hand and full body fatigue on longer rides.

Conversely, the 2012 Fox 36 Van on my enduro bike soaks up absolutely everything. There is no trail it can't tame.

I want that same performance on the front of my ESD. Is the Z1 Coil the business? I'd run it at 150 or 160mm- it doesn't really matter. Weight doesn't matter either. Here's a pic of the kind of riding I'm talking about:
Plant Plant community Wood Tree Natural landscape
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,244 Posts
I found a coil fork to be the easy button in terms of comfort. It might not be the most advanced damper or the fastest overall, but if on long downhill my hands and arms are aching, then I won't be able to capitalize on a faster fork anyways.

From folks who have ridden coil forks and the Mezzer, it seems like the Mezzer is as close as you can get to a coil fork that isnt.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
I found a coil fork to be the easy button in terms of comfort. It might not be the most advanced damper or the fastest overall, but if on long downhill my hands and arms are aching, then I won't be able to capitalize on a faster fork anyways.

From folks who have ridden coil forks and the Mezzer, it seems like the Mezzer is as close as you can get to a coil fork that isnt.
I would agree with your assessment of the Mezzer. It's far smoother than you'd ever expect for an air fork.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I would definitely put the coil kit in the Marz. The damper in the Marz/rhythm is pretty dang good and probably a fair bit stiffer than your old vanilla. I don't really think you have anything to lose there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definitely put the coil kit in the Marz. The damper in the Marz/rhythm is pretty dang good and probably a fair bit stiffer than your old vanilla. I don't really think you have anything to lose there.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a coil kit for the Z2, just the Z1. Otherwise I'm okay with the Z2 chassis. I notice some flex only on occasion.

The high speed chatter is where I notice the biggest difference between it and my old 36 Van. The air fork just can't respond fast enough.

Probably going to sell the Z2 and buy a Z1 coil without having to cough up too much extra money in the process.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think there's a coil kit for the Z2, just the Z1. Otherwise I'm okay with the Z2 chassis. I notice some flex only on occasion.

The high speed chatter is where I notice the biggest difference between it and my old 36 Van. The air fork just can't respond fast enough.

Probably going to sell the Z2 and buy a Z1 coil without having to cough up too much extra money in the process.
Oops, lover looked that detail. You mentioned Marz and coil and my mind went right to the rhythm/Z1. Out here you can find a lot of people pulling the rhythm off of their OEM bike and selling for cheap.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the z1 coil on 180.

The only thing i don't like is when i drop the front from a rock to flat, it seems harsh.
Could this be the damper?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Are you bottoming out completely or do you think the fork is spiking before getting full travel?

To be honest, drops to flat are usually going to be harsh. The max I will do anymore is about 4 feet (I will do up to 20 foot drops to transitions, however ?). You could theoretically setup your bike to handle them better, but then it would suck on regular trail features. I just take a hard pass on them these days, as they really aren't much of a thrill and I'd rather save my bike and parts for well-built, bigger features.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.