Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking to move to the DHX 5.0 with a 2.25" stroke. Is anyone running one? If so how is it? What spring size?

I weight 220lbs and need advice on the right spring for my weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Gregb said:
Am looking to move to the DHX 5.0 with a 2.25" stroke. Is anyone running one? If so how is it? What spring size?

I weight 220lbs and need advice on the right spring for my weight.
Mine shipped with this shock, I weigh 230lbs and the spring rate is 450-500, I don't have anytime on the bike yet other then a couple of miles so I can't comment on the shock yet, but from what I have been told its the way to go. If you go to the Turner board a member did a review on it over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

Thanks, that is about what I thought 450lb for my weight... thanks for the feedback...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
who determined the spring weight

Decapatator said:
Mine shipped with this shock, I weigh 230lbs and the spring rate is 450-500, I don't have anytime on the bike yet other then a couple of miles so I can't comment on the shock yet, but from what I have been told its the way to go. If you go to the Turner board a member did a review on it over there.
looking into this shock for a 04 heckler and fox spec'd me with a #600 spring for 220lb rider weight.
did you get the spring weight from santa cruz?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
staz said:
looking into this shock for a 04 heckler and fox spec'd me with a #600 spring for 220lb rider weight.
did you get the spring weight from santa cruz?
No, what happened was SC shipped the frame with the standard spring by mistake and my lbs pulled the spring from one they were building for someone else that was not in a rush to pick up his bike.

Note: I would go with what fox recommends and not SC. Im not so sure that the fox spring I got even came off a SC. Its what they had on hand in the shop so I would not need to wait for SC to ship one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm confused...

staz said:
looking into this shock for a 04 heckler and fox spec'd me with a #600 spring for 220lb rider weight.
did you get the spring weight from santa cruz?
Got this reply from Fox this morning..."A 400lbs should work, if your doing a lot of flat landings you may want to move up to a 450lbs spring"

Was for a 220lb person who does light free-riding.Now I don't know if I should be 450lbs or 600lbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Gregb said:
Got this reply from Fox this morning..."A 400lbs should work, if your doing a lot of flat landings you may want to move up to a 450lbs spring"

Was for a 220lb person who does light free-riding.Now I don't know if I should be 450lbs or 600lbs
450 should do the trick, I think 600 will be way to stiff with little give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
well see

Decapatator said:
450 should do the trick, I think 600 will be way to stiff with little give.
spoke with 2 seperate fox sales associates and also with sc couple days ago.
sc said go with fox's word cause they have not exp. with the spring rates enough and fox would know better!
well the 2nd associate i spoke with was riding a 04 heckler and #600 spring on the dhx 5.0.
i'll find out tomorrow, my shock will be in and hopefully i can test it out before vacation.
damn i hate this guess work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
staz said:
spoke with 2 seperate fox sales associates and also with sc couple days ago.
sc said go with fox's word cause they have not exp. with the spring rates enough and fox would know better!
well the 2nd associate i spoke with was riding a 04 heckler and #600 spring on the dhx 5.0.
i'll find out tomorrow, my shock will be in and hopefully i can test it out before vacation.
damn i hate this guess work.
I agree with talking to fox but a little taken back that SC failed to answer your question, hell they have a race team and I would not believe for a minute they do not know how to dial in the bikes. At SC there is a Scott that everyone talks about on the boards here they say he is super helpfull, let me see if I can find his name.

Note: Found it -Scott Turner Not sure what he does there but ask for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott told me 450lbs

Scott Turner told me 450lbs. Yup, he is super helpful. Let us know how 600lbs feels. Real world experience is something that I value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
got a ride on it today

Gregb said:
Scott Turner told me 450lbs. Yup, he is super helpful. Let us know how 600lbs feels. Real world experience is something that I value.
put 16 miles on it today and hit the 5.5' drop about 4 times.
so far smoothest shock i've ridden, feels like it's gliding on ice.
no tech info came with the shock so setting up was based on personal preferance.
ran 75psi with the 600 spring.
this also is my first single pivot bike, had a chaparral before/romic and 750 spring.
fox also clearly stated this is valved and preforms much different then the 5th so spring rate would be higher.and it is way smoother for sure. nice action on small hits also.
still need to break it in more, but maybe a 500 would be a better choice. still going to quiz fox and sc again.
if anyone else gets a lighter spring lets us know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
staz said:
put 16 miles on it today and hit the 5.5' drop about 4 times.
so far smoothest shock i've ridden, feels like it's gliding on ice.
no tech info came with the shock so setting up was based on personal preferance.
ran 75psi with the 600 spring.
this also is my first single pivot bike, had a chaparral before/romic and 750 spring.
fox also clearly stated this is valved and preforms much different then the 5th so spring rate would be higher.and it is way smoother for sure. nice action on small hits also.
still need to break it in more, but maybe a 500 would be a better choice. still going to quiz fox and sc again.
if anyone else gets a lighter spring lets us know.
Tomorrow will be my first serious run with my 500 so I will post Friday pm with my impressions.

UPDATE

Well back with this report, I did a good run on everything from fireroads to single track with a lot of rock gardens and my 500 spring peformed well. Never bottomed out. As for the DHX well the 5th Element is no longer the only game in town. I run the Firefly with the DHX and this combo works vary well, I lock down the firefly and it climbs like a scolded monkey. I hit some hard stuff and the Heckler sucked it all up, I am so happy I went with the Heckler. I weigh about 235lbs and 500 spring was up to the task.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
running the #500 spring now

Decapatator said:
Tomorrow will be my first serious run with my 500 so I will post Friday pm with my impressions.

UPDATE

Well back with this report, I did a good run on everything from fireroads to single track with a lot of rock gardens and my 500 spring peformed well. Never bottomed out. As for the DHX well the 5th Element is no longer the only game in town. I run the Firefly with the DHX and this combo works vary well, I lock down the firefly and it climbs like a scolded monkey. I hit some hard stuff and the Heckler sucked it all up, I am so happy I went with the Heckler. I weigh about 235lbs and 500 spring was up to the task.
and it's right on. what air pressure are you running(bottom out cranked full on)?the manual say's only max 125 but also the manual states shipped with 150psi. i'm at 120max. only one full turn of spring pre load. can the pre load exceed this? 3-5 turns? just looking for more input on this new shock. so far so good!
 

·
Sirstopsalot
Joined
·
104 Posts
I am getting a DHX and Fox said I needed a 700lb spring I am 300lbs and the bike is a VPFREE hope it all works :confused:
staz said:
and it's right on. what air pressure are you running(bottom out cranked full on)?the manual say's only max 125 but also the manual states shipped with 150psi. i'm at 120max. only one full turn of spring pre load. can the pre load exceed this? 3-5 turns? just looking for more input on this new shock. so far so good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
Progressive spring rate?

staz said:
looking into this shock for a 04 heckler and fox spec'd me with a #600 spring for 220lb rider weight.
did you get the spring weight from santa cruz?
I am thinking about getting a used Heckler and it has the 5th with a 350lb stock spring. The guy selling it is about my size 210lbs and told me that the LBS told him to stick with the 350lb spring. This sounds about 100lbs lighter than what it should be...at least. Any heavier riders out there running a lighter spring on the 5th?
 

·
Making fat cool since '71
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Decapatator said:
I agree with talking to fox but a little taken back that SC failed to answer your question, hell they have a race team and I would not believe for a minute they do not know how to dial in the bikes. At SC there is a Scott that everyone talks about on the boards here they say he is super helpfull, let me see if I can find his name.

Note: Found it -Scott Turner Not sure what he does there but ask for him.
He deals with returns and product sales with the public or at least that's what he said when I was returning a crushed frame. Nice, helpful (sort of), sent the wrong spring with my 5th element, but fixed it. Anyway...

Kraig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
staz said:
and it's right on. what air pressure are you running(bottom out cranked full on)?the manual say's only max 125 but also the manual states shipped with 150psi. i'm at 120max. only one full turn of spring pre load. can the pre load exceed this? 3-5 turns? just looking for more input on this new shock. so far so good!
Sorry for the late reply, I had mine built at my lbs and I just got off the phone with them, they said it can be set over what the manual says. When I get home after work today I will check the load and report back. The shop said I was set up at full load, they are gone to get me a manual as well. The shock shipped with the frame from SC but with out a manual.
 

·
Making fat cool since '71
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
ronny said:
I am thinking about getting a used Heckler and it has the 5th with a 350lb stock spring. The guy selling it is about my size 210lbs and told me that the LBS told him to stick with the 350lb spring. This sounds about 100lbs lighter than what it should be...at least. Any heavier riders out there running a lighter spring on the 5th?
I'm 250(ish) and have ran the 350, 375/400, and just got the 450. The 450 feels right for me with no preload (and really low air pressure). The 400 was fine with quite a bit of preload. At 210 I wouldn't get the 450 spring, but after you ride it you may find you want the 375/400, maybe. It took a bit for me to get used to the "ride" as apposed to that of the "old" fox on my '98 Heckler (sag, etc) of the 5th, but once it's set-up correctly they work great (as long as you don't exceed the air pressure recommendations). I've seen the springs on ebay pretty cheap every once in a while. I may even have a 375 laying around.

Good luck.

Kraig.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
DHX spring rate.

Gregb said:
Am looking to move to the DHX 5.0 with a 2.25" stroke. Is anyone running one? If so how is it? What spring size?

I weight 220lbs and need advice on the right spring for my weight.
I've kept up with this thread on Hecklers with the DHX and the appropriate spring rate. I recently got an 8.5 X 2.5 DHX for a Bullit. Obviously these bikes are not identical, but there are definite similarities. My DHX came with a 500lb. spring for my 185 weight. This spring isn't even close. Fortunately I have a few springs to experiment with. Since the DHX is a stable platform shock, 500lbs. seemed a little high. The 5th on the same bike runs a 325lb. spring. The 5th has a more aggressive platform, so I figured the DHX would need a somewhat stiffer spring. My 8.5 X 2.5 Fox RC ran a 450lb. spring. I wound up with a 400lb. spring on my DHX to get full travel. I know the Heckler has a very slight falling rate, so I can see it perhaps needing a slightly heavier spring. Since the DHX has a little more tuneability to soften the stable platform aspect of the shock, I can see this causing a rider to need an even stiffer spring. This may be one reason the DHX will have riders using a wider range of spring rates for the same weight rider, where the 5th spring rates seldom range more than 50lbs. regardless of rider weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would make sense

Yup, so you are running a 75lb heavier spring on the DHX. I presently run a 350lb spring on the Heckler, it should have been a 400lb. So at 100lbs heavier a 500lb spring should work for me. The shock is coming in a week or two so will report back when all is setup.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top