Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi experts ;)

Has anyone ever tried running a 8.75 x 2.75 shock in his 07/08 Heckler? If so, do you reckon the additional 6 mm length would have a noticeable impact on geometry? I'm thinking steeper head angle etc.
Could the extra travel cause the rear tire to hit the seating tube?

I'd like to buy a used DHX 5 coil and have it pushed but I'm finding it quite hard to find the correct 8.5 size as 8.75 seems to be so much more common.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
No e-drama please!!
142 Posts
Yeah,no doubt the 8.5x2.5 size shocks are not anywhere on the used market. All i see is 8.75x2.75. I put the larger size on my 2004 BULLIT to give it 7.2" .The HA is a little steeper which i don't like that much but seems to be working fine for what i'm doing with the bike.
As long as you reduce the stroke amount the same amount as the I2I then you'll probably be fine depending on the clearance of your swingarm/seatube-if it will fit that bigger shock.You would only need another 1/4".
I wouldn't put that long shock on there,but if your doing just XC & don't mind the HA being steeper,go for it. Guess you'll have more travel too. I'm sure someone will post up a more scientific reply with more info.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Just curious where you are seeing the 8.75x2.75 because I need one for a different bike.

I don't think that will fit a Heckler - I looked at mine and the swingarm is so close to the seat tube - I'm pretty sure it'll hit.

To help you though, there's a place called wheelandsproketos on ebay that has been blowing out the 8.5x2.5 DHX 4.0's for under $200 shipped with the correct mounting hardware. Mine should show up Friday.

·
noMAD man
12,164 Posts
If you have a newer generation Heckler that you're considering this on, you can easily check this out. Put the bike in a stand...remove your existing shock...get a cord or other method to allow you move the rear swingarm through a range of travel that mimics 8.75" in the fully extended position all the way to a fully compressed 6". Obviously the compressed position will be the same as your 8.5 X 2.5 shock, but the extended position will change. Work your cord and swingarm through all positions, carefully inspecting for any interference or other problems. Look for severe dragging of the chain on the lower part of the front derailleur gate, brake hose/cable stretching, swingarm front brace hitting seattube, etc. While high forward, simple, single pivots are some of the easiest designs to manipulate shock size and travel, obviously not all of them will allow it.

On available shock sizes out there, I thought 8.5 X 2.5 versions are more common than 8.75 X 2.75 models?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went ahead and did it...and rode it right afterwards ;)

The Shock is an older Progressive 5th Element 8.75 e2e. There's plenty of room left between shockmount on the swingarm and the frame. Now the bike should sit at around 166 mm of travel instead of 150. If I'm not mistaken the leverage ratio is 2.38 or something like that.

The bike rides fine although I have no comparison to how it would ride with the correct shock length. Head angle doesn't seem to be excessively steep but again, I have no comparison.

As for the availability of 8.5 shocks...I dunno but I can't seem to find many in the used market around here (Europe). As I'm mostly interested in a Roco TST coil or air I had to check shock lenght anyway as those only come in 8.75 and up afaik.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Shrike - would you mind taking close up pictures of the frame where the swingarm is near the seat tube, etc? Pretty please.
I might pull the trigger on a CCDB and adding travel while running a Fox Van 36 160mm might be perfect.
Thanks,
Clayton

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I bought a 2.5x8.5 DHX 4.0. My local shop says that the bottom out adjuster will be set to 'medium'. On my 5.0, there are only 3 lines - soft medium and hard anyway so I don't think it's critical, especially if you aren't doing big bottom out drops, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.