Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used these KMC x9 chains? They seem pretty light and the shop says they are super durable.......even stronger and more durable then the SRAM 991. Any info or help would be appreciated. I ride all mountain ...... sometimes 30 miles with hills and sometimes 30 miles with lots of drops and DH stuff. I will be running an XTR cassette.

TheX9 SL Silver is 229g

SRAM 991 is 300g

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
i've been using a KMC X9 SL + XTR 970 cassettes since September after 3 years using SRAM PC991 hollow pin.

i do alot of climbing, about 2,000m -3,000m on most rides, usually about 80 miles a week. the chain is holding up just fine, no measureable stretch and no shifting issues to grumble about, also hardly any visible wear to the TiN coating either.

...i do maintain it more than a cheaper chain, with regular dousing of Rock'N'Roll Extreme lube left overnight before a ride, then wiped dry before kicking off.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Never the SL version, but I've been happy to alternate between the 9.93 and Shimano's XTR/Dura Ace for the last three or four years. I don't measure mileage, but have never found myself thinking that the KMC had worn out too quickly; quite the opposite, in fact. The X-link design certainly seems to lend itself to clean shifts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
culturesponge said:
...i do maintain it more than a cheaper chain, with regular dousing of Rock'N'Roll Extreme lube left overnight before a ride, then wiped dry before kicking off.
They do indeed seem to need lubing before every ride (and during longer rides), else they'll get a little noisy.

Other than this, the KMC have worked at least as well from a durability standpoint as the Dura-Ace/XTR and XT chains I run on my other rides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.