Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most likely won't work, as when the pads wear down, fluid moves from the Master Cylinder to the Caliper to compensate for the pistons moving out. As the Saint master cylinder is larger than the XTR cylinder to make up for the larger amount of fluid required by the 4 pistons, the XTR master cylinder will be sucked dry due to the smaller volume. Any 2 pot caliper should work though.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
From Shimano's FAQ : "All Shimano hydraulic disc brake systems are interchangeable. Depending on the model of the brake lever and caliper, the connections may differ and could require replacing of the hose and/or the connection fitting, but the brake levers and calipers are fully compatible."

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting thoughts....id wondered as the saints are the 4 pot...but the statement of interchange ability means it may be worth a go....

i guess in part its laziness!. i have saint calipers all set up but want to replace the levers with the xtr as ive been using them for a bit on a different bike and really like the lever geom and shape...

hmm!....

·
Registered
6 Posts
dRjOn said:
interesting thoughts....id wondered as the saints are the 4 pot...but the statement of interchange ability means it may be worth a go....

i guess in part its laziness!. i have saint calipers all set up but want to replace the levers with the xtr as ive been using them for a bit on a different bike and really like the lever geom and shape...

hmm!....
Just curious... Have you set this up yet? I'd like to know if it works poorly, acceptably, well, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Corvette said:
Anything new here? Perhaps first hand user experience with XTR Trail lever + Saint caliper combo? Thanks.
Well, you definitely couldn't use the XTR XC lever with the Saint caliper - or any other, for that matter, save the XTR XC caliper. The XC model is not Servo-Wave.

I just picked up some XTR Trail levers, and plan to set them up with SLX brakes. Why? No idea, really... I'll post here how it works out!

·
Registered
863 Posts
dRjOn said:
thinking of trying this set up but no idea if it will work...any thoughts? cheers!
Why bother,the xtr lever look hot and its just best to stay stock for the best performance...just wait for the new xt brakes (due out this summer ) and go that direction

·
Registered
6 Posts
By any chance did you use last years SLX m665 calipers? I am thinking of just buying the XTR m988 levers to replace the SLX lever like yours.
Cheers
Yes, they're 2010 M665 calipers. They work AWESOME (though some of this might be due to the XTR "Ice Tech" rotors). And replacement pads, should I ever need them, are half the price of XTR trails.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
XTR trail levers work with Saint calipers. Very well. The setup is insanely ****ing powerful. You need to recalibrate your fingers, as you do not need much to lock everything up. One of the best setups I have ever used.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.