Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
DRTRIDR said:
Acadian- Any opinions regarding the single crown on the Sunday. Handling differences? Steering improvement? Stiffness? Is that a 45mm/50mm stem??
I'm running a Totem on mine, had a Boxxer WC on it before. I honestly can't feel any difference in stiffness between the two. I am running a 45mm Thomson stem on a medium frame. The BB height is 13 5/8" , just about the same as the Boxxer. I am running the 1.5 coil version with a firm spring, as I weigh a tad over 200, about 215lbs with gear. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I just wanted something different, but I will say, the turning radius is pretty cool for steep, tight shutes, and x-ups!! ; )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
DRTRIDR said:
Inkpad- The reason I would go SC would be for the added turning radius!!!!!!!!!! Is there anything you miss not having a triple clamp?
Don't miss anything, only thing I found out is I needed to put longer cables on my bike, left the shortys from my Boxxer on & nearly ripped them out on a small crash, as there is no more stopping the turning radius with the fork tubes ; )

·
mtbr member
1,135 Posts
The longer cables- I was wondering about that. About the long fork tubes---- have they ever saved you from a crash when the bumpers stopped your fork from going 90 degrees.

The reason I ask, in the past, I have been saved by those fork tubes from eating ROYAL sh!t- Another crash (which left me injured for 2 months), was caused by my single crown completely crossing up.

All of my bikes currently have single crowns. The Sunday which will be purchased mid- summer- I am still undecided... nervous.... scared. I want a SC fork for it!!! My brain keeps telling me, "if the reduced steering of a triple clamp (i.e. bumpers) saves me ONCE from another bad crash, it will be worth it." I don't know....... the memory of my crash will not go away. Just tell me the single crown is the way to go--PLEASE! Haha!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
DRTRIDR said:
The reason I ask, in the past, I have been saved by those fork tubes from eating ROYAL sh!t- Another crash (which left me injured for 2 months), was caused by my single crown completely crossing up.
I know what you mean. I had a crash while running a SC on a DH hardtail a few seasons back. The wheel got wedge in a rock garden, twisted the handlebars on me, and I went crashing over the bars into the rocks, knocking the wind out of me. Although, it wasn't a seroius crash by any means, I still remember it. And it left me with a nice bruise in my gut that last months and months.

I'd imagine that running a Sunday with a SC would require the use of flat pedals. A BB that low might cause some trouble with some clipless pedals in terms of durability.

toby

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
DRTRIDR said:
The longer cables- I was wondering about that. About the long fork tubes---- have they ever saved you from a crash when the bumpers stopped your fork from going 90 degrees.

I would say the opposite, actually. I have crashed trying to get around a tricky corner only to have the steering lock, causing me to fall into the turn.

All of my bikes currently have single crowns. The Sunday which will be purchased mid- summer- I am still undecided... nervous.... scared. I want a SC fork for it!!! My brain keeps telling me, "if the reduced steering of a triple clamp (i.e. bumpers) saves me ONCE from another bad crash, it will be worth it." I don't know....... the memory of my crash will not go away. Just tell me the single crown is the way to go--PLEASE! Haha!
I really can't see how a different fork will cause you to crash any differently, if you are crashing, you are crashing because of a mistake, not the fork. I say go for it if you are comfortable, it will be alot of fun, but if you are doubting them at all, stay with the dual crown :thumbsup:

BTW, I run clipless pedals with no problems, the BB height is all about race speed & cornering like a go cart :yesnod:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I can't see how a 180mm sc would make much difference in HA or BB height, they are only 3mm shorter than a boxxer, run less sag, and would require a taller lower headset cup (assuming you're running a 1.5 fork). If anything it would be taller?

Teague

·
mtbr member
1,135 Posts
Thanks inkpad- My accident was a freak accident. Makes one nervous when they watch their fork cross completely up in front of them. The image is still stuck in my head. I am 90% certain I will go single crown.

As for pedals- I run platforms most of the time!

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.