Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone run a DRS without a fr derialure?

945 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Pete-G 
#1 ·
So I can't fit a front derailure on my Nicolai frame due to the swingarm option that is on it. Turns out there are multiple swingarms available and not all of them accomodate a FD. So, I picked up a DRS and I'm going to try running dual rings with the DRS and no FD. I'd really like to have the little ring for rides where I have to climb for my DH. Since the DRS only has a bottom roller and relys on the FD to guide the chain on top I'm wondering if this is going to be a big headache.

Anyone else ever try this?

#4 ·
Well, I'm going to try to mess with the chainline until I have it exact and then take all the extra links out of the chain so it maintains pretty good tension. I talked to someone the other day who mentioned that he'd seen people running this setup before. If it doesn't work it's not really the end of the world, I'll just swap for an SRS and call it a day. I have a need for a DRS on my hardtail so it'll find a new home on it. Nothing to loose here really, but wondering if others found any tricks to getting this setup working.

Thanks for the Link dirtman. So are you running a DRS without an FD and just using this device to keep the chain from dropping to the inside?

#5 ·
I actually

Switch back and forth - as I live in Florida and travel a lot to the mtns to ride. So for Florida roding I fun (2) rings with FD and the NGEAR chain stop and a Heim 3 Guide to hold the bottom.

When on downhill runs, I switch to a single (no FD) with the NGEAR and Heim 3 Guide.

So no I do not use a DRS. I am considering running a DRS in the future. I need to look into the option ring sizes for the front. I would want more than the standard 22t/32t set up so to maximize my downhill rides.

Dirt

#7 ·
LarryFahn said:
I'm unfamiliar with your bike. But did you consider an E mount BB? It mounts behind the BB. I'm assuming though the DRS will be in the way though cause of the mounts. Anyway, just a thought. Fahn
It's an idea... I wish I had an E type lying around to try. I'm thinking my chainline would be hosed with anything else mounted behind my BB flange. I've got the minimum spacers in there now required to get the DRS to clear and the chainline is pretty descent. Tires should be arriving in the next couple hours and I'll get to take it for a test ride and see what happens.

#10 ·
watermoccasin said:
Check out Envy's stuff too, especially the Double E2

http://www.envygear.com/products/doublee2.html
Wow, that's rad, they actually mention manual shifting with it. Looks very similar what I am after. It's interesting that it's just a plate guide and doesn't use rollers. I wonder if I could incorporate that into my DRS... hmm, that could be interesting... Anyway, thanks for the link!

I've got the DRS setup on my Nicolai now and rode it around a bit tonight and the chain stayed completely put after dialing in the chainline and putting as much tension as I could on it between running the chain as short as poss and tightening up the roller as much as poss. We'll see what happens when I hit the trails...

On a side note, those mudflap girl bar ends that they make are the coolest ever! I emailed the shop that they list as their CA dealer to see if they could send me a set.

#14 ·
Ok, scrap all this. The eNVy guide doesn't work with the DRS, played around with it a bunch. Back to a single ring with an MRP guide I had around that sorta works but is for a larger front chanring. Think I'm going to try one of those Gamut guides with the polycarbonate ring. No 22t chainring up front so going to have to be strong on the climbs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.