Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to gear up a touch but what is the limit on how few teeth is A-ok?

Yes, I am aware I could increase upfront.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I once had a 14 on the rear. It seemed that my chain popped off more frequently. Now I'm running a 16 and all is well.

I would recommend larger cog and chainring (while maintaining gear inches/ratio). When more of the chain is making contact with the cog/chainring it is much less likely to pop off.

I hope that helps....

·
Registered
595 Posts
I ran one for one ride/switched it to a 16t as 15t was too tall for the riding I was/am doing. But I was using a tensioner so that doesn't help does it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I ran a 15t with a 36 for a dirt crit series a few years back. It never gave me any trouble, even though the course had a creek crossing that ttok some work to power out of.

Ordering another one for this years series. But I've never had a chain come off in any gear combo. I can definitely make em pop, but I've never had a chain come off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I ran 34/15 on my old Singular Gryphon, and it was fantastic - good for 30kmh @ 100rpm, and I could still get up most climbs (except the really steep ones...). Good compromise between comfortable road pace and being able to hit singletrack :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran 34/15 on my old Singular Gryphon, and it was fantastic - good for 30kmh @ 100rpm, and I could still get up most climbs (except the really steep ones...). Good compromise between comfortable road pace and being able to hit singletrack :thumbsup:
that's kinda what i'm doing.

i'm running 34/16 and it's pretty close for what i'm riding.

34/15 would help sometimes though when i run out of gear.

gonna give it a whirl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts