Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to build up a Vassago Jabberwocky SS. Curious if anyone has used the fubar, seems like a good match on geometry. Also if anyone is riding a Jabberwocky, I would be curious what type of set up you went with. I always get lots of great ideas from these forums. Thank you for any info.:thumbsup:

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
I don't ride a fubar per say but ride a Sushi Bar with a very similar sweep and I think it's brilliant on any geometry... so I would not hesitate on getting a fubar.

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
I should be receiving both a FU2bar and a jabberwocky in the mail this week, so I will let you know what I think of them together when they arrive. I went for the FU2 as I was afraid the regular FU would cramp the cockpit a little too much.

·
Ultraglide In Black
112 Posts
I've got one, but I'm still in the middle of my build, so no testing yet. It feels nice though, and looks purty, what with the sweeeep and all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have some fubar's and I really like them. They have the same sweep as the on one mary bar, but they are a little closer than the mary bars. They feel great.

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
any updates on this? i am missing my big sweep bars on my ss.

Here's mine. The wife, Wyosam and I got the team 3-pack of regular Fubars. As I expected, it made the cockpit a little cramped using the stem length I normally would. Remedied that with a 120mm stem ($19 for a EA70 at Jenson, not bad). I have a 660mm Easton XC carbon low-riser on my geary and love it. The width and hand position of the Fubar feels really nice on the Jabber, and doesn't feel much narrower, which I like.

Unfortunately, I have been laid up with a sinus infection for the last month and only have mellow townie rides on this set up - with no stand and mash climbs to report. What I can say is that I think I really like it, and I have no intentions of purchasing a more traditional bar any time soon. I'll update if I can get any good rides in before the snow gets too deep

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
SSINGA said:
Whats the benefit of this type of bar on a SS vs a flat or riser bar?
From the Fubar page at the Psycle Store

Misfit Psycles Corporation of Death said:
The skinny:

Better hand position for climbs. More natural postition allows for greater leverage and improved comfort.
Narrower width (then straight) climbing bars, normally found on SS's. Ample 635mm (FU) or 600mm (FU2) offer the same climbing power as much wider straight bars.
Big sweep means all that with no bar-ended tree catchers.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
i agree that you can climb better with them on a ss. after i broke my mary/space bar i rode a riser for a while. i even tried the luv handles, but they were not for me. i think the fubars will be strong enough that i won't break them, and the will give me the hand position that i loved. i just ordered mine tonight, so hopefully they will be here in a week or so. i will post a report once i get them.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
essentially the fu bar was exactly what i needed to fit my setup at the time...a purely selfish endeavor, as are most of the 'things' i do.

i can see why people add 20mm as a result, that's what i was looking to reduce the ett by on my setup. i have tried (since) to modify the bar with an increased forward sweep or reduced backsweep or greater bend angles...the solutions either changed the bar characteristics (unacceptable) or comprimised the integrity of the bar (from a strength perspective). broken bars suck.

the fu2 was in response to requests for a no-add version. it also sells very well to racey types, smaller riders (particularly women) and more urban types.

with a slight mod to the angle, increase in the center and reduction of the grip area the fu2 fits nicely INSIDE the fu...clamp to clamp area off by 24mm+/- (not shown)
fu-vs-fu2-small.jpg

recently decided to start work on a 25deg 610mm bar...just to confuse things further.

·
Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
151 Posts
nogearshere said:
recently decided to start work on a 25deg 610mm bar...just to confuse things further.
Does this mean I can call off my quest for a custom bar?

For what it's worth, my plan was to take the Fu with the same forward bend and down/up sweep, but from the outer bend just decrease the back sweep. Yeah it will extend the ETT, but that also works to MY favour - your results may vary of course. Don't know if the change in back sweep could mean adjustments to the up sweep are in order or not

Now just for name - something about a whiney customer not following the master plan perhaps...

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
finally got first real ride on a SS and a FU

Finally am mostly healed up from the sinus plague and took out the Jabber + Fu to Curt Gowdy for a first ride. Noticed that the front wheel had a little play and a couple of mildly dented spokes that were not mentioned in the classified description, but this didn't seem to affect the ride. Should have noticed when I built it up, but was a little too drugged up apparently.

Gowdy is the perfect place for SSing as there are pretty much no long descents to be spun out, no steep extended climbs that are impossible with normal gearing (save El Alto), - just lots of rolling ups and downs, integrated boulders, tight corners and some techy rock navigation. On my geary, I usually just use one cog for most of the trails and switch back and forth between the 22 and 32 chainrings - on SS this perfectly translated to sitting and standing.

The bars you ask? Freakin nice. Being off bikes since September and in poor condition, I did a lot of standing and mashing over much of the terrain, and found the Fubars to be just about the perfect hand position for climbing. I was able to get tons of leverage pulling on them while seated as well as yanking up while standing. They felt nice and solid without feeling too harsh (on a rigid bike on rocks).

My transition to the big sweep might have been eased by my lack of riding over the last 7 weeks, allowing my hands to "forget" my riser bar positioning on my geary, but the fact remains the bars feel right on this bike. I am not ready to swap out my low rise Easton XC bars on my Canzo, as the cockpit felt really dialed all summer, but I would recommend the Fu/Fu2bars to anyone in the Stand&Mash support group. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had some on my single speed dambala for most of the summer. They are really comfortable, and the width is great. They're really nice to ride with for the most part.

On the down side, I found that I had to have my stem really tight or it would slip. Most of my mtbing friends thought I was daft for riding with cruiser bars. I also found going down really steep stuff to flat ground, my bars wanted to twist on me. Also, I really wanted to try these out with a 130mm stem, but no one in town could sell me one.

I've gone to a straight bar, which is definitely different, I don't know which I like more. It's definitely different.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
just got fubared

i got my bars last night, and installed them once i got home from work. my initial impressions of the bars: i really like them. they are thick as hell, so i am not woried about breaking. compared to my old space bar, they are much less flexy, but still give me the great hand position i really like. the trail i rode was a little rocky, roots, and had some short ups and downs and some flats. everything felt great all around. way to go misfit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts