Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
except for a possible early morning ride (at a place that does not compare), i'll be working, thank you:madman: :madman: :madman:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, everything was perfect except for taking care of our dogs. DOH! So I'm going Saturday.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Just remember; When you see the double black diamond sign on Blue Velvet (had a bra hanging on it), just ignore the temptation and stay wayyyy left. No need for a sequel to my video masterpiece :yikes:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kenbentit said:
Just remember; When you see the double black diamond sign on Blue Velvet (had a bra hanging on it), just ignore the temptation and stay wayyyy left. No need for a sequel to my video masterpiece :yikes:
Blue Velvet will be either on my 1st run or 2nd run. Not only will I avoid that drop but I won't "make up a new spot to drop from" either :lol:

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Yeah, that line looked perfect in my head. In reality, not so much :p

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I have a short video of the crash on FB. Haven't had time to do any more editing, plus the video I got kinda looks like poo. I needed to test out the new helmet mount before this trip I guess. Horizontal was good, vertical was too low. Good thing I got over an hour of crap to go thru :madman:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Short Whistler ride report:
Started out with a 2.25hr drive up. Followed some crazy Canadians who knew all the turns so we were really cooking up the mountain.
Took the lift up and 'warmed up' per a few people's suggestion with Crank it Up
Second time up I took both lifts and went down Blue Velvet (see pic below), No Joke/Freight Train
there were some big lines at the bottom lift so I took the upper lift a few times and rode BV a few more times, then decided I was ready to hit A-line, which was an awesome trail although I don't understand that lower part that turns into a North Shore type of trail for about 500'. Very weird compared to the rest of that trail.
Just before lunch I went back up to the top and hit all the trails one last time. I was going to go down Dirt Merchant that run but there was some sort of major injury and a trail guy was stopping anyone from going down it so I hit Crank it Up again and ate lunch.
After lunch I went back to the very top to hit the entire length of Freight Train. Unfortunately I had a g-out to table to cut tire right at the first section of the trail :(
The good news was that I had a patch and tube so I just patched the tire and threw a tube in (I run UST) and rode down. Got back to my car and the tube was starting to push out of the tube through the patch. I had brought an extra set of wheels so I just swapped that tire on.

There was one trail that I really didn't like - the Ninja Cougar/Karate Monkey stuff. In fact I ditched it partway down and hit the rest of A-line. It was just way too much like the XC trails we have here.

The rest of the day I just kept riding and riding - I don't know how the second 4 hours went by so quickly. I was getting pretty tired and beat up toward the end of the day and thought I'd take one last run but I was already out of time!

Some things I learned:
Whistler eats your tires up. I guess the high speed cornering does it?
I would probably go with 2.5 tires next time. I ran a Muddy Mary up front and a Prowler XT 2.3 out back. They both hooked up but especially the Muddy Mary shows pretty good wear after one long day.
If I were to go there often, a DH bike would be a must. The braking bumps and potholes are really killer on the arms and hands. My wrists hurt today.

Oh yeah - my legs didn't even get tired - the rest of me did but my legs felt pretty fresh the entire day. I've never shuttled/lifted a day and thought that my legs would be trashed from it.

Here's a video that I didn't make, but it's of Crank it Up. I think all those guys are riding Double Barrel's.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
kenbentit - i hope you didn't get hurt... but could you post that video anyway?:devil:

gticlay - i think i would get bored of that trail you rode in your video... after going down it about 4326 times :D :D :madman: (sigh)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just remembered a couple more things:

There was a momma bear with 2 cubs that were grazing below the chair lift. Very cool to see them as you rode up. Not like when I ran into a black bear at my home trails 2x within the last month.

We also had to wait for a very nice black bear (biggie!) transtioning from Blue velvet to the club/lodge/grill thing where that lift that isn't working dumps off. Took like 5 minutes. I think he was waiting for some food :)

Having a Pivot F-bird in Whistler attracts attention. I had a lot of "there's one of those Pivots" or "do you like that bike - you must have a lot of climbing at home?"

I'd like to shout out to the French and the Quebecois (sp?). I met multiple french speaking people that were super friendly even when they found out I am USA, not Canadian :p

Two more pix - a view of the park from where you enter on your bike, and almost at the very top on the 2nd lift looking back down. I'm suprised I didn't fall off. Those lifts a scary to ride on - I feel like I'm going to fall off when they hit the towers.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice report! Just for the record you seem to be a nice guy even tough if you are from the US of A (say the french canadian...)

Quick question for you: Did you use the RC4 or the DHX air? If you used the latter did you feel you were blowing through your travel in the big berms of Crank it up / A-Line??? If not, what are your settings?

Im really struggling with adjusting my shock so I dont dramatically blow the travel when Im pushing in a berm...

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Ahh, the "Bra Drop". I kinda like that name. Not so crazy about the line itself :p I can see the orange marker tape in your pic but not the rock that I planted my sorry a$$ in. I uploaded the video to my Vimeo acct but it's taking a bit to convert for some reason (hasn't even shown up yet...). I'll check in the morning before I head out. Gonna be in Utah for a bit so I won't be doing any online stuff.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
louiffe said:
Nice report! Just for the record you seem to be a nice guy even tough if you are from the US of A (say the french canadian...)

Quick question for you: Did you use the RC4 or the DHX air? If you used the latter did you feel you were blowing through your travel in the big berms of Crank it up / A-Line??? If not, what are your settings?

Im really struggling with adjusting my shock so I dont dramatically blow the travel when Im pushing in a berm...
I used the RC4 the whole time. Was too busy riding to test anything else :lol: Maybe next time.... although the coil was so 'rad' that I can't imagine trying anything else. One thing I was super happy with was that my settings from my home track felt perfect to me up at W. There might have been two times when I felt like I could have used another click of rebound, maybe.

On the DHX air, I'm doing 30% sag, 1/2 to 1 turn in on BO, 160 psi in the boost and I'd have to count clicks on the rebound but I tend to like it a little firmer on rebound these days. I used to run it really fast on my Konas but they seem to work differently.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Here ya go Dog...

The now infamous "Bra Drop" line (although I wasn't technically on the line). This is what a near vert nose wheelie looks like, with a rock landing. Plenty of profanity in this :eek:

Whistler crash from Ken Bennett on Vimeo.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
kenbentit said:
The now infamous "Bra Drop" line (although I wasn't technically on the line). This is what a near vert nose wheelie looks like, with a rock landing. Plenty of profanity in this :eek:
ouch.

I think you could have rode it out had there not been the rock pile. it "looks" like you were 'this close'.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
hmmm... someone should move those rocks...:D

that was actually pretty scary... glad you are ok...

how did your poor pheonix do?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dog said:
hmmm... someone should move those rocks...:D

that was actually pretty scary... glad you are ok...

how did your poor pheonix do?
I think he rode it the rest of the weekend, with a new wheel :D

My question is how do we get those cool pivot shorts at 0:08?

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I had to "repair" the fork with some top secret materials and replaced the front wheel with a Sun (temporarily). Also needed a new saddle and some clean shorts :eek: As for those schweet Nema DH shorts, they were from the Press camp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts