Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
What I understand is they are basically a Mary bar but fit a 31mm. There has been some talk about this bar around the forums. And if I had known about this bar I may have got this instead of my Mary which requires a shim.

pink

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Mr Pink57 said:
What I understand is they are basically a Mary bar but fit a 31mm. There has been some talk about this bar around the forums. And if I had known about this bar I may have got this instead of my Mary which requires a shim.

pink
Except they're lighter, wider, have less sweep, and use 7000 series alloy. Other than looking similar, they seem quite different than Mary Bars.

They look promising, I'd be intrigued as well

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mr Pink57 said:
What I understand is they are basically a Mary bar but fit a 31mm.
Sort of, but as someone else stated they have a much different sweep than the Mary Bar. I happen to have a Jones bar, an On-One Mary Bar, a Bikes-On-Snow (BOS) Flowing and a Carnegie..

The BOS (my previous favorite) and Carnegie (my new favorite) have essentially the same sweep, but the BOS is flatter. However, the BOS requires a spacer to run with a 25.4mm stem or two to run 31.8mm. My experience with spacers is that they nearly always squeak and if I am not careful I will overtighten and ruin a faceplate.

In my part of the world, most people's first experience with any of these mtb "alt-bars" were the Mary bars. So, all of them became a "Mary bar."

Word on the street is Brant is coming out with a carbon Carnegie.

Can't wait!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
zarr said:
What is the widest of the "Mary" type bars? (for lack of a better description) Anybody tried out the Origin8 spacebar OR? (off road version) It has a 25.4 clamp area though.
The Origin 8 Space Bar OR is kinda on the narrow side. Definitely has no "forward wiggle" either, so you need a pretty long stem to compensate for your position. (Like a 130mm-150mm stem!) I don't recommend that one at all.

Brant linked the Carnegie's Bar reviews, so I'll let that speak for itself. Suffice it to say that it has become my favorite "alt bar" save for off road drops.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have a them on my Quiring Ti,like the sweep,comfortable.like them in tight singletrack feels like I have more leverage and ease of steering,also like the hand position and leverage while climbing.very precise steering all around.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
NoGrannyDanny said:
Any idea when ChainReaction will have these back in stock?
I am going out on a limb but I am thinking ChaniReaction might have a better line o this than the rest of us clowns? Or not.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Suffice it to say that it has become my favorite "alt bar" save for off road drops.
How would you compare the Carnegie to the Salsa Moto 17-degree bars? I know the Motos are flat and don't have the "wiggle," but that's about all I know in comparing the two, much less in actual use.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
racerdave said:
How would you compare the Carnegie to the Salsa Moto 17-degree bars? I know the Motos are flat and don't have the "wiggle," but that's about all I know in comparing the two, much less in actual use.
Ah yes, the 17 degree Salsa bar. One of my favorites. Well, in setting up a bike and keeping in mind we are talking about getting the same position with either bar relative to hand position from the steering axis, here is how these bars compare........

You need a centimeter longer stem for the Salsa bar vs the Carnegie's.

The actual sweep angle is more on a Carnegie's Bar than on the Salsa, 25 degrees on the Ragley versus 17 on the Salsa. But you don't have to have a longer stem because of the "forward wiggle". Nice.

The Ragley bar is triple butted 7000 series aluminum and is a bit heavier duty than the Salsa bar is. As it should be. The Salsa bar is primarily an XC/Trail bar where the Carnegie's Bar, I think you will find, is more adept at aggressive trail riding, All Mountain type stuff.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cool, GT thanks. I'm more of a XC/Trail guy anyway, although a clyde that is not necessarily gentle on a rigid SS.

Any thought as to which angle is preferable (and why) between the Carnegie and Salsa?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
racerdave said:
Cool, GT thanks. I'm more of a XC/Trail guy anyway, although a clyde that is not necessarily gentle on a rigid SS.

Any thought as to which angle is preferable (and why) between the Carnegie and Salsa?
Best angle? That's kind of a personal preferance, but in terms of really techy riding, I think the Carnegie's Bar is about as severe a sweep as you'd ever want.

Other than that I will say that I can hardly stand riding anything sub 15 degree bend anymore. I "tolerate" 11 degree Salsa bars and recently rode a 5 degree bar that I thought felt rediculous. Of course, tastes vary so...............

·
Bike Matron
245 Posts
vibrations

Very timely post about the Salsa bars. I was getting ready to start a separate thread with a query about carbon bars. Had not really thought about the sweep issue before reading this thread.

The Salsa PRO MOTO CARBON FLAT BAR has an option for a 17 degree sweep. Are Salsa carbon bars good for vibration damping? I've always had problems with some variation of hand numbness and have previously used carbon Easton Monkey lites (riser or low riser) and liked them)
I've been riding my husband's 29er with aluminum low-rise bars and they have been killing my hands.

Santa put a 29er hardtail under the tree with my name on it. It is stock with a long stem with a lot of rise and a low rise aluminum bar.

Thinking I might go for the more extreme sweep (relative to what I have used previously) for comfort with the hand position and then adjust stem length/rise accordingly.

The Salsa looks good because there is plenty of room to get everything on there, especially if I go back to grip shift (my preference) and still get to trim the bars a bit (also my preference).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Best angle? That's kind of a personal preferance, but in terms of really techy riding, I think the Carnegie's Bar is about as severe a sweep as you'd ever want.

Other than that I will say that I can hardly stand riding anything sub 15 degree bend anymore. I "tolerate" 11 degree Salsa bars and recently rode a 5 degree bar that I thought felt rediculous. Of course, tastes vary so...............
Thanks. I'm the same way. I used a Mary and Space bar before. My wrists liked the sweep. Now I can't stand single-digit sweep bars.

That said, I found the techie bits as you mentioned quite vexing with the mega sweepers. The TT on my frame was a bit short and that combined with the cro-mo Marys made switchbacks and hairpins a PITA.

So the Carnegie seems interesting, but the Salsa is the one I'm leaning toward... in carbon. My choice might get complicated when/if Ragley makes one in a non-metallic version.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Team Pro Laps said:
Very timely post about the Salsa bars. I was getting ready to start a separate thread with a query about carbon bars. Had not really thought about the sweep issue before reading this thread.

The Salsa PRO MOTO CARBON FLAT BAR has an option for a 17 degree sweep. Are Salsa carbon bars good for vibration damping? I've always had problems with some variation of hand numbness and have previously used carbon Easton Monkey lites (riser or low riser) and liked them)
I've been riding my husband's 29er with aluminum low-rise bars and they have been killing my hands.

Santa put a 29er hardtail under the tree with my name on it. It is stock with a long stem with a lot of rise and a low rise aluminum bar.

Thinking I might go for the more extreme sweep (relative to what I have used previously) for comfort with the hand position and then adjust stem length/rise accordingly.

The Salsa looks good because there is plenty of room to get everything on there, especially if I go back to grip shift (my preference) and still get to trim the bars a bit (also my preference).
My friend, (he posts here as Captain Bob) has them. He says they are very absorbent in regards to vibrations and actually flex enough that they take the edge off some smaller trail obstacles. I was also considering these for a rigid bike I have.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts