Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll, we all liked the old Spooky bikes.

I was poking around the their website just now-got to love any company that's got a Mike watt's Band bootleg video right up front!

I like the look of all their frames-all made by two different-high quality USA outfits (3D racing and SAPA). They seem to have the rugged East Coast aesthetic. I just haven't seen one around (in person or on the web).

Anyone riding one?? Got pics? Do they make a 29er? 650er?

They look like the sort of bikes that stoke my fancy these days!

·
2,678 Posts
I work with a guy who knows the new person in charge of Spooky. He said the frames are only being made for a handful of sponsored racers......so I'm not sure if the new frames are being produced for the public yet.

Then again this info may be wrong,

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am not a sponsored racer nor am I really anything special, but I own one of the new 3d-racing made Spookys. The shop I work at is one of the few (i imagine few) dealers in the US so we got a few in but us shoprats promptly bought the two that we received. If you go back a ways in the blog, mine is the lime green darkside with some powder in the headtube. I don't have any pictures of it built up, but here's my impressions of it:

having ridden an older spooky, the new ones aren't the same but they are a great spiritual successor. The HT is a lil' slacker, the CS longer and over all a little bit more relaxed geometry. That said, the BB is still nice and high (but I guess that's relative) at around 12". These are versatile bikes, you can run 26", 650b and 700x45s in 'em (do a search for SuspectDevice's posts, that's Mickey from Spooky). They're also fairly lightweight; my large darkside clocks in at around 24 lbs with some decidedly non-weight weenie parts. They're easy to get in the 20 lbs range.

Also to note, there are two darksides floating around at the moment if I understand Mickey correctly, ones with the new geometry made by Herting and ones with the old EAST COAST PUNK RAWK BRO geometry made by the fellas at Sapa. The frames themselves cost around 1k give or take a few hundred, but as far as having an awesome US-made product that will ride like nothing else, I think it's a worthy price of admission. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
I work with a guy who is good friends with Mickey and he just built up a Darkside. He loves it and plans on racing XC on it.

I'm pretty sure Spooky frames are being built for everybody, not just racers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.