Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone riding the Access XCL 9.9 or 9.7 from performancebike?

I'm thinking about getting the 9.9 and an curious about your impressions of the bike.
How does it handle the tight twisty stuff?
Is the handling great or just ok?
How does it feel on the climbs?
etc.

I've been debating about this bike, and I've been keeping an eye out for the right combination of coupons/discounts to get the price closer to $1000 than $2000.

My riding involves a lot of singletrack with roots, rocks, short climbs, etc - the standard New England trails mix.

I'm about 5'8", so I will probably get the 17" frame size

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Get the 17" at 5'8"

I have a 19" at 5'9" - bought a frame - and I probably got a size too big - we'll see. Again I bought just the frame.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Own the frame...similar specs to the 9.7

This is my 2nd 29er and compared to the Windsor it replaced (which I still feel was a good frame) it is lighter, more nimble, and feels more "racey".

Frame is solid in the front triangle with just a hint of vertical compliance in the stays. The complete bikes come with the forks in the 100mm travel but I am running mine at 80mm as it quickens the handling nicely. If the complete bikes come with the same headset as the frame does...plan on replacing it, its a total POS. The seatpost clamp was also cheap and I got the Forte clamp that is similar in function to the Salsa clamps in that they distribute clamping force better (I run a carbon seatpost so this is important).

Overall good frame, I would recommend it

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree, these run pretty tall. No midget will be able to ride on an Access 29er bike. The 17" has a standover height of ~30". My usual frame size is between a medium and a small so I have yet to see if I will like this bike.

I'm sure that many of frames are being shipped everyday amd I hope to see more of these builds.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Good to hear in a way - for me personally - that the 17" doesn't offer much standover clearance either. We'll see how I like it if the friggin rain ever stops here in New England.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
newaccount said:
I meant because I went with the 19" size to get the longer top tube. But set up with an 80mm fork up front, my nuts are touching to top tube when I stand over the frame.

It sounds like I wouldn't have gained much room if I had opted for the smaller size - so I think it is good after all that I went with the 19" to get the longer TT

We'll see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked with performance and they don't have the weight on the fully built bikes, but they did send me the specifications on the frame:

2009 Access XCL 9R Mountain Frame Geometry (item 30-1874)

-----------------------------------17-----------------19--------------21-------------23
Seat Tube (C-T)----------431.8 mm-----482.6 mm---533.4 mm---584.2 mm
Seat Tube (C-C)---------361.8 mm------412.6 mm--463.4 mm---514.2 mm
Effective Top Tube------580 mm--------605 mm------630 mm------650 mm
Actual Top Tube---------555.7 mm-----577.1 mm---601.9 mm---625 mm
Chainstay------------------455 mm-------455 mm------455 mm------455 mm
Head tube-----------------110mm---------115 mm------140 mm------155 mm
Bottom Bracket Drop--60 mm --------60 mm--------60 mm--------60 mm
Wheel Base--------------1066.9 mm---1092 mm----1117.7 mm--1138 mm
Head Angle---------------71 deg----------71 deg--------71 deg--------71 deg
Seat Angle----------------72.5 deg-------72.5 deg-----72.5 deg-----72.5 deg

Build Requirements
Seatpost diameter 31.6 mm
Headset Threadless, 1 1/8" steerer, Zero Stack
Front Derailleur 34.9 mm
Seat Tube Collar 34.9 mm
Bottom Bracket Shell 68 mm

Miscellaneous
Weight 3.8 lbs
Replaceable Dropout Yes
Rear Rack Eyelets Yes
Rear Rack Braze-ons No, and no openings for them​
If I add up all the component weights of the 9.9, I get:
Frame: 3.8 lbs = 1723g
Fork: 3.74lbs = 1696g
Wheels: 1750g (Not sure if wheel skewers are included in that weight)
Tires: 726g*2 = 1452g
Brakes (w/ levers): 395g approx * 2 = 790g
X.9 Shifters: 262g
X.9 Rear Derailleur: 255g
X.9 Front Derailleur: 155g approx
Crank w/ BB: 940g
Seatpost: 320g
Saddle: 300g (not sure of the model)
Stem: 160g
Handlebar: 357g
Chain: 304g approx (assuming HG73)
Cassette: 330g (guessing)
Tubes: 140g (guess) * 2 = 280g
Headset: 140g (not sure of the model)
Grips: 80g (guess)
Seatpost clamp: 22g​

I've left off the reflectors and the pedals (308g=0.68lbs). Assuming I have everything correct here, the total weight should be approx:

11176g = 24.64lbs​

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but it doesn't sound like the weight is too bad

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Your probably a bit light on the cassette, tubes, brakes (395g is for front with 160 rotor and post mount), and skewers are generally not included in Mavic wheel weights.

So figure
-Cassette likely a SRAM PG-950 so 380g
-29er Tubes probably closer to 200g each so 400g
-Add for 185 rotor and adapter front and adapter and extra housing rear ~100g
-Mavic Skewers 108g pair

Probably about 25.5lbs w/o pedals

·
Registered
287 Posts
There has been talk about the standover height of this frame on a few threads. I suspect that this is the reason for the low price. The design may be flawed. Check it out before you buy.

·
Terror of Sidewalls
301 Posts
newaccount said:
There has been talk about the standover height of this frame on a few threads. I suspect that this is the reason for the low price. The design may be flawed.
Probably not the reason. 16" Karate Monkey frames claim 30.8" standover. Standover is a huge deal to some folks and a non issue to others. I've smashed knees into stems a few times but never suffered a groin/TT injury.

Thats probably why I feel comfortable wearing 29" inseam jeans and riding an 18" KM with 31.9" SO. My 5'2" wife loves riding it too, although there's only about 1" of seat post showing when she takes it for a spin.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
newaccount said:
There has been talk about the standover height of this frame on a few threads. I suspect that this is the reason for the low price. The design may be flawed. Check it out before you buy.
Not Flawed at all really.

I'm actually wondering how it'll feel with the 72.5 degree ST angle and 71.5 degree HT angle. Those are actually a little different from the norm ever so slightly.

We'll see how she rides once we get some better weather here in New England. Whoever stole the sun from this part of the US - we'd like it back please!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mtnbiker72 - do you remember the make/model of the original junk seatpost clamp and headset that came with your frame?

Also - with the revised weight numbers, I get 11554g or 25.47lbs
or 25.82 lbs with the heavier 21" frame.

I still trying to talk myself into this bike. I was really hoping the latest Performance coupon ("friends09") would stack with the existing 10% off, but no luck. So, the price comes out to $1519.99 - factor in the 10% I get back from Team Performance and the price drops to 1367.99 + 54.99 shipping = 1422.98. Not bad for the components, but not exactly the steal of the century, especially for I bike I haven't seen/ridden.
I remember a few earlier threads with people indicating larger discounts on this bike, getting the prices closer to $1200, but I can't find a note indicating anyone actually bought the bike for that price.
I've had great luck with my performance/supergo purchases in the past, including a few bikes - but I'm nervous, not having seen any reviews on the complete bikes.

(please excuse the next section - it's just me trying to justify spending the money when I already have a perfectly good MTB)
As part of my agonizing over spending the money, I've done a bit of math on the cost of the components:
Frame:$99 (after assorted discounts)
Fork: $487 (although I did see '08's in the $330 range)
Wheels: $775 (although I did see '08's in the $600 range)
Tires: $70
Brakes (w/ levers): $297 ('08s available for $250)
X.9 shifters + derailleur: $267 ('08 available for $180)
Seatpost: $18
Saddle: $17
Stem: $25
Handlebar: $29
Chain: $20
Cassette:$20
Tubes: $10
Headset: $15
Grips: $5
Seatpost clamp: $5

That's about $2150 (or about $1730 with '08 components) - so... on parts kit alone, this seems like a reasonable deal.​

I wish there was a performance bike store close by.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up my Access 9.5 yesterday and took it for a spin this morning - so far so good. Frame feels pretty stiff, but my old bike was steel... The price cannot be beat as I did quite a bit of shopping and picked it up for a song.

Taking it to some real trails in the morning adn will report back in - but so far so good really enjoyable adn I do not feel like I took a handling hit moving to the bigger wheelset.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Can you post up some pics of that 9.5? Thanks,

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
My 21" frame has a 33" standover height with a KM fork. That's fairly typical for this size of a frame. I find the handling pretty neutral with that setup. I recently put drop bars on it, and I'm enjoying that quite a bit--you can really swoop through the turns.

You can see more about the Access frame on this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526557

And there's a couple more threads floating around out there.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
mstoller said:
Mtnbiker72 - do you remember the make/model of the original junk seatpost clamp and headset that came with your frame?

Also - with the revised weight numbers, I get 11554g or 25.47lbs
or 25.82 lbs with the heavier 21" frame.
The seat clamp is some generic clamp that is roughly cold forged (not real smooth) and has a general pinch bolt. I like the Forte because similar to the Salsa clamps, it has a bolt pivot which tends to distribute the clamping force more evenly around the seatpost. Since I'm using a carbon post, this is important to me.

The headset is a Cane Creek labeled VP. It uses open cage bearings with some flimsy plastic "seals" and steel cups. I had the same headset on my Windsor 29er (of which the parts on the Access are mainly from) and it pretty much died this winter even with using Phil Wood grease. The seals are a joke. So once I wore it out, I grabbed a WTB Team Zero Stack for $20 on Ebay and am using it now on the Access as well.

BTW-by my scale the 19" frame weighs 4lbs 1oz (or 4.06lbs)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 9.7 so I can't comment on performance, but as an FYI my local PB has them heavily discounted. The tag on the bike was for $1099, the bike rang up at $950. After 20% coupon, tax, and $25 to join their reward program, it was around $850. Awesome deal IMO.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts