Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Prescott, Arizona and will be heading in my VW bus with a big group of climbing friends to Enchanted Tower. We will camp Thursday night (19th) and leave Sunday 22nd.

I don't climb but I'm planning on going along and finding some good off-road rides. It may be just me riding, or one or two of the other guys may bring their bikes.

Would love to meet up with some other folks, a group would be great. Or if you've got any info on the trails around there, give me a shout!

Thinking something 3-4 hours.

Thanks!

Greg in AZ

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not sure exactly where the Enchanted Towers are but there is definately some fun riding in the mountains west of Soccorro, up Water Canyon. However, the stuff up high, the really good stuff, may still be snowpacked in a couple of weeks. Maybe one of the Soccorro locals could pipe up and let us know the trail conditions down there.

I am hoping to head down there before it gets too hot but my plans are still really shakey right now. I'll keep these dates in mind but I don't want to promise anything. Try contacting the Spoke 'n Word bike shop in Soccorro to see if you can get a local hook up. I am sure they know more about the trails and conditions there anyway.

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I called the fellas at the shop in Socorro and they were very helpful. They mentioned a forest service guy who rides a lot but who only comes down into town every once in a while... Chad Horman, maybe... anyway they said he knows tons of trails in the area. Sure wish I could hook up with that guy.

The guys at the shop were great but didn't have much experience riding west of town. It sounds like most Socorrans ride to the East.

Hopefully someone chimes in with a good ride or two.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Velokid1 said:
I'm in Prescott, Arizona and will be heading in my VW bus with a big group of climbing friends to Enchanted Tower. We will camp Thursday night (19th) and leave Sunday 22nd.

I don't climb but I'm planning on going along and finding some good off-road rides. It may be just me riding, or one or two of the other guys may bring their bikes.

Would love to meet up with some other folks, a group would be great. Or if you've got any info on the trails around there, give me a shout!

Thinking something 3-4 hours.

Thanks!

Greg in AZ
good overview:
http://www.socorro.com/fattire/trails.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Velokid1 said:
Thanks for the reply. I called the fellas at the shop in Socorro and they were very helpful. They mentioned a forest service guy who rides a lot but who only comes down into town every once in a while... Chad Horman, maybe... anyway they said he knows tons of trails in the area. Sure wish I could hook up with that guy.

The guys at the shop were great but didn't have much experience riding west of town. It sounds like most Socorrans ride to the East.

Thanks again!
As a Socorro local, I would say that most Socorroans ride from the Magdalena Mtns and east, not east of town. As far as the Magdalena's go, word is that there are still some snow drifts near the top of the South Baldy (Trail 11). Trail 13 is good, Six Mile canyon may also be good. I belive it is ~ a 40 min drive from Datil to the Water Canyon campground and 20 mins more to get into Socorro.

You should know that FS road 235 is closed during the week to ALL trafic (bikes included) for construction of the Magdalena Ridge Observatory. So don't plan any rides on 235 for friday.

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town then so I can't ride with you.

For riding west of the Magdalenas Chad is probably your best bet but I don't know how to get ahold of him either. If you' have any other questions fire away.

Craig

·
Registered
185 Posts
Velokid1 said:

Thanks again!
Intersting ... didn't they suggest trying some of the trails out by the CDT? Or maybe the trails off of 107 near the VLA (Whitington/Big Rosa)? Seems like the Maggies might be a bit far from ET, but for my money, I would go with a short ride in the Maggies ... maybe Jordan Canyon to North Baldy and then drop down Copper canyon. It is a good ride for the single speed types.

S

And how are the trails in Williams for that matter.

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glenzx said:
Thanks for the link, and everyone else's info.

Thoroughly confused. I think I'll just wing it. Take my bike, try to find a local or two who knows a trail. Not sure where this group is going to camp. Not even sure where Enchanted Tower is exactly. I may even end up bringing my road bike, instead. Especially after reading the ultra-forboding warning about goatshead thorns. I refuse to use Slime.

The photos of the area look just like Prescott. Looking forward to it. If all else fails, I'll just chill out in the VW with my guitar and some mushies, maybe go for a hike.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Velokid1 said:
...I may even end up bringing my road bike, instead. Especially after reading the ultra-forboding warning about goatshead thorns. I refuse to use Slime.
Refuse to Slime? Better stay far far away or get some DH tubes. Goat heads are rampant in these parts and they like pavement too. But putting 100+psi behind some slime in a road tire causes some interesting results so I just double up my tires there. Cut the bead off an old tread and stuff it inside for extra protection. We call it the "system". Great training tool. As an added bonus it doesn't take but a few strokes of the pump to fill 'em up.

As for finding a local riding around out by Datil....that place is literally the middle of F****G no where. Good luck on finding anyone out there 'cept maybe of few SETI folks.

I did a back packing trip in that area several years ago. The guide book described it as a "little used area of NM". That was the worlds hugest understatement. We managed to find the trail head but after a few miles it died out due to dead fall and overgrowth.We ended up bushwhacking for 10 hours. My chic was not particularly thrilled about this trip. The wild rasberries and strawberrys were really good though. Hope you are ready for some adventure.

Someone above suggested riding up Jordan Canyon, on a single speed no less. Shoot, I came down that on a 5 inch squishy and my brakes were smoking. That is one of the nastiest fire roads I have ever ridden on. But hey, what the heck, give it a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.