Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of miscreants is coming over and down from Toronto to try the Jay (Winter) Challenge on the 10th of Feb.

I understand it's the first year, anyone else making it out?
Accomidations for the Friday are set (local) but any suggestions for Saturday accomodations, and the requisite Newport nightlife would be much appreciated.

Jay Winter Challenge

Cheers.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
galleywench said:
I had planned to do it but the $100 entry fee cuts into my summer race pot. Looks like fun though. Good luck.
aye 100$ is steep. i needed some motivation to actually complete this so a road trip combined with cash out of pocket will ENSURE i actually show up and get it done.

looking at the logistics, support and smaller(ish?) size of the event it is understandable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am not doing the winter Jay Challenge but will be there for the summer. The race director Dan Derosier is an awesome guy and really goes out of his way to make the summer race a great experience. If you send him an e-mail with questions he will respond back very quickly. I would expect the race to be longer and more difficult then it is described. The summer race description says 65 miles and 10,500 feet elevation gain. The race last year was actually 74 miles and over 14000 feet of climbing. Dan likes to make the race as difficult as possible. The summer race is worth every penny of the entry fee.
I believe this race starts in Newport so you could stay at the Newport city motel. It is kind of an old school hotel but it has a sweet indoor pool and Jacuzzi. This is nice after a long day of racing. The rates are reasonable but if you are looking to save some cash there is a super 8 a few miles down the road. As far as restaurants go the Eastside is a nice family place with great food and reasonably priced. If fine dining is what you are looking for there is a place in town that is quite pricey but the food is phenomenal. I think it is called Lago. In the other direction down past the super 8 there is a place called the Cow Palace. I have never been there but a buddy of mine says the food and the bar is pretty good. If you stay at the Newport City Motel eat breakfast at the Brown Cow. You can walk there, they open early, and the food is good. I hope this helps.

KMC

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the Newport motel for us.
Yes Dan seems like a good guy, we are all letting the fact that he is French Canadian slide...for now.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, sounds like it will be a solid event.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
nogearshere said:
Looks like the Newport motel for us.
Yes Dan seems like a good guy, we are all letting the fact that he is French Canadian slide...for now.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, sounds like it will be a solid event.
@NOGEARS: I'd be careful out there! A lot of VeloEpic guys will be on the course... I did part of it over the holidays with Dan... Sure looks like a great course! Crossing the Memphremagog lake is an experience by itself... Well, you'll do it twice!

The Bonfires, the food, and the course will be worth the trip!

I was suppose to do it on my 28er rigid singlespeed... would have loved to kick your a** like at Hot August Nights... But what do you know, i'm having shoulder surgery a week before... Looks like i'm out! And to think i've been riding in the cold at Jay in the last couple of weeks just to prepare for the race!

I will probably in the area tough... I will come and cheer for the Mysfit Cycles and VeloEpic guys and gals!

You'll have a blast!

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigJay said:
... would have loved to kick your a** like at Hot August Nights... ... I will come and cheer for the Mysfit Cycles and VeloEpic guys and gals!

You'll have a blast!
yes, you and several hundred other riders beat us...in fact i am willing to wager that i could beat you at losing any day of the week. hows that for trash talk?

i will look for you there, are your riders sticking around saturday or heading out straight away? 'cause beer is usually on the winners...

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
nogearshere said:
yes, you and several hundred other riders beat us...in fact i am willing to wager that i could beat you at losing any day of the week. hows that for trash talk?

i will look for you there, are your riders sticking around saturday or heading out straight away? 'cause beer is usually on the winners...
lol!

I figure some will stick around... And of course, if there's beer, i'll be there! (Of course, it all depends on how my shoulder feels...)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have created " The Winter Challege " Blog that everyone can have a progress report before the race. All pertinent info will be posted there as a central location for the one of you looking for updates

Dan
Race Director:thumbsup:

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan001 said:
I have created " The Winter Challege " Blog that everyone can have a progress report before the race. All pertinent info will be posted there as a central location for the one of you looking for updates

Dan
Race Director:thumbsup:
BLOG LINK

what is the rule of thumb...snow=no studs? ice=studs?

can i get a ruling please???

·
Registered
309 Posts
95 % of the course is on snow.The lake crossing is 1 mile going and one mile coming back. Even if it was cristal clear ice you probably could ride on the edge where their is some snow without stud.

However Stud would be safer to have; I personally do not ride with stud. Your guess is as good as mine.

No whining allowed on race day. :nono:

Dan

·
Registered
470 Posts
anyone know where the results can be seen? wondering who entered. just too far away for me. plus they really have winter weather up there. I don't mind my Cape Cod riding during winter.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dang said:
anyone know where the results can be seen? wondering who entered. just too far away for me. plus they really have winter weather up there. I don't mind my Cape Cod riding during winter.
RESULTS

We had a great time...it is absolutely on my list of MUST RIDES from here on in.
In summary. The entry fee was more then covered, organization was top-notch, rest stations provided warmth - food - beverages, on course support was very visible, post ride lasagna - soup - chili. I ate my entry fee's worth of food, in fact it wouldnt be a stretch to say i consumed more calories then I burned. Everyone got a medal that completed - it was just like in gradeschool when i couldnt complete the flexed arm hang and they didnt want to offend me...

I honestly cannot say enough positive about the race, well done and see you in 2008.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I must say that this race, the 30 mile course, was very intiminating to me considering its location and winter weather. but nice to know about the stations. the required equipment didn't help things either. it had you wondering what you might be getting into.I've been on some very cold rides that really froze the feet.

maybe next year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.