Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making the plunge and getting my first full suspension all mountain bike and the Transition Preston FR looks like a likely candidate. I am only slightly hesitant, because no dealer around me stocks them so i will kind of have to order blindly.

I am 6'1" so I think the large would suit my needs best, but I am wondering, how is this bike to pedal as most of the riding I do will require a ride up before the drop down...

Thanks for your input.

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Big fan of the Preston

I have been riding a 2006 Transition Preston for two seasons and been extremely happy. Its a great all around bike, not great at anything but good at everything. Its a bit heavy so its not a great XC bike, its a bit low on travel so its not a great DH bike, but if you want to do both, you will not find a better one. I have taken my Preston to the bike park, hit drops, railed berms and flew off jumps. I have also taken it on 40 mile XC rides. There are not too many bikes that can do both equally well.

That said, keep a few things in mind. The Preston is a single pivot and really needs a stable platform shock. I have a Manitou Swinger Air on mine and been happy. And while the bike can take up to an 8" fork, I wouldn't go over 6" of travel. I have had a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (150mm) and a RS Pike (140mm) on mine and prefer the Pike. It has a much lower crown height and feels more stable. With the Marzocchi I felt like the front wheel wandered on steeper climbs and felt quite tall on flats. And get some lighter wheels. I had Azonic Outlaws on mine for a while and it pedaled like a pig. Put the new Sun Str8 Tracks on it and they have given the bike a turbo boost.

The Preston is a great shorter travel freeride bike and there is not much it can't roll over or get up if you have the legs and the balls for it. If you are more XC oriented you might want to look at the Transition Covert. I rode one recently and really liked it. In the same vein is the Santa Cruz Blur 4x. Shorter travel, tight, beefy and quick. It also comes in several pounds lighter than the Preston when built up. But you will also pay $500 more for those pounds.

Finally, Transition is a great company. Very few bike company founders will talk to you on the phone about bike setup. Transition's did. Nough said.

Good luck with your choice. And definitely get a large. I am about 6' and the large fits me well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.