1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to here about this bike.
Weight for the Comp and the Pro
How well does is climb?
How does it compare to the SJ FSR Comp and Pro for AM?

Thanks
j

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I recently took home a Pitch Pro for one weekend. I liked the bike very much. I wouldn't mind having one as a spare for use as a loaner, or for when my Enduro SL is in the shop. Frankly, had the Pitch been out last year, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat over the Enduro SL. I say that because the SL took me far over my budget last year, and because the Pitch is plenty bike for the level of riding that I'm capable of.

The one thing I miss on the Pitch versus the Enduro SL is the air-adjustability on the front fork. I like my forks on the stiff side, and with the SL I can just pump in a bit of extra air to get the compression exactly how I want it. With the Pike, I'd need to buy a stiffer spring than the stock.

For climbing, I give the nod to the Enduro SL, because it's easier to lower the fork-travel on the SL. Lowering the travel really helps when going uphill.

The above is my limited experience. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
iv just bought a pitch and it was replacement for my specialized xc expert, so my main concerns were weight and how well it would climb.... i am happy 2 say, it is v good, a bit heavier at the back, but the pike's make up for the climbin, put the travel right dwn and its very gd, pro pedal is perfect, obviously it isnt quite as gd as my xc bike but for how well it goes dwnhill... the comprimise is absolutley nufin..... and then theres the price, iv got the pro paid £1400, it is a bargain for that price, so much fun and asoon u get on it, u know its strong and it can really take a beatin! .....yeh u dont get the xt crank etc, which did put me off at 1st, but deore will last forever, and when u hav been out on a decent ride, thankfully that deore rubs straight off lol!!!

what i would say, is go and hav a look at 1, cos the 2D fotos u hav off shop websites dont sell it at all, it looks shite, if u go 2 a shop and hav a gd look at it, its a really nice lookin bike, much chunkier than the website fotos make it look!

this really is an 'all mountain' bike, i get the impression (however my experience is quite limited, as i havnt been riding long) that most if not all, 'all mountain' bikes should hav travel adjustable front forks, as in my opinion, if the front travel isnt set lower, it would make it a lot harder 2 climb??????

if u buy 1 u will not b dissapointed could u will save a load of cash and wont mind hurtin it so much if u manage too cos it was cheaper!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, Thanks for the feedback, sounds good. I love my SJ Comp, but I wanted something for more asgressive DH, but still maintaining some climbing capability. I think this is the target for this bike.

j

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
I LOVE mine. there were a few things that i changed right away, but think i would have with any bike. Went to Juicy 7 set back seatpost (thomson), and new saddle. other then that i love it. It climbs well, and looks real sharp and that PIKE on the front is to die for

·
Registered
356 Posts
iv bn out quite on a long ride on mine 2day, put the forks dwn in the front, and it was climbin awsum! well impressed with mine!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just got a large Comp. 32.25# on the bike shop hanging scale WITH the plastic CPSC reflectors and spoke guard, so about 32# with stock platform pedals (junk). I haven't had a chance to take it on a real ride with clipless pedals, but so far so good.

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
Fuzz541 said:
I just got a large Comp. 32.25# on the bike shop hanging scale WITH the plastic CPSC reflectors and spoke guard, so about 32# with stock platform pedals (junk). I haven't had a chance to take it on a real ride with clipless pedals, but so far so good.
wow the domp is almost 3# more then the pro?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pitch Pro, but am not sure what size to get.:confused:
Currently I'm riding a 56 CM Langster, which fits great. I'm 5'11, closer to 6 foot, but small build. I want the pitch to be fun all around for aggressive riding. My LBS has a large in stock, I rode it but wasn't sure if I'd like a medium better or not because they didn't have a medium... The top tube length of my 56cm langster is very close to the length of a medium pitch. Any advice would be helpful! Those that have a pitch, how tall are you and what size did you pick? Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
FreeLiving said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pitch Pro, but am not sure what size to get.:confused:
Currently I'm riding a 56 CM Langster, which fits great. I'm 5'11, closer to 6 foot, but small build. I want the pitch to be fun all around for aggressive riding. My LBS has a large in stock, I rode it but wasn't sure if I'd like a medium better or not because they didn't have a medium... The top tube length of my 56cm langster is very close to the length of a medium pitch. Any advice would be helpful! Those that have a pitch, how tall are you and what size did you pick? Thanks!
im the same height as u, and a slim build, wait and get the medium!!!!, i used mine a bit of dwnhill yesterday, put the seat dwn and it was the perfect size! im assumin it will b lighter in a medium aswell??!! trust me wait and try one, it will b bang on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
^ Think so? Did you try a large? I got some people saying medium and my buddy who works at a specialized shop keeps telling me large. I rode the large and it felt good, but I can't tell! If anything it may have felt like I was laying down a little more than I'd want for a mountain bike.

·
Registered
356 Posts
yeh i had a go on a large, not a gd go, just a ride around the car park, i just felt more at home with the medium, i hav jst sold my xc spec which was medium tho, so maybe it just felt simular 2 that? wait 4 the medium 2 *** in b 4 u buy, a lot of money 2 take a chance with isnt it, try another shop, sumone gotta hav one

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am 6' 4'' and I am riding a large. It is technically too small, but i can get away with it using a 410mm post maxed out. I went with the smaller frame because I like the benifits of having a shorter wheelbase and possibility of a lower seat height.

Mine weighs around 29 lbs. I have made quite a few mods to it. If I went to narrower rims, I could drop some good weight. (running 5.1D's)

Overall I love the bike. It is a Great climber and Awesome on the downhills. Once the Pike breaks in, it is a super buttery smooth fork too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
FreeLiving said:
'However, such short chainstays mean larger sizes will have an unwieldy rearward weight bias. The medium is still a bit too long - 5ft10in testers could fit a small.'

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/MBR_News__Bike_news_article_163830.html

I am 5' 8" and the medium felt right to me (just about to get one!) but I wouldn't have wanted it to be any bigger - I say get the medium. This size guide suggests you within the range for medium

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/contentPages.asp?pageID=62

·
Registered
163 Posts
im a hair under 6 feet, 170 lbs, I went with medium, its more nimble on the down hills under my body. Getting behind the seat is easy and feels normal. Climbing, I need to slid the seat back a little bit, or stretch out the stem a hair. I haven't had a chance to tweak with it too much.

You will love the bike and not regret it!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.