Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to see all my options for a 180mm fork for the highline. I know of the usual suspects: marz rc3, totem but never hear of the travis nor is the much info on it.
I just finish the highline w/ a rc2 which has nothing wrong w/ it, I just want the 180mm travel. So far the rc3 is my primary choice. Other than negatives like manipoo, does any one know how the travis performs? Thanks
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
ifouiripilay said:
I'm trying to see all my options for a 180mm fork for the highline. I know of the usual suspects: marz rc3, totem but never hear of the travis nor is the much info on it.
I just finish the highline w/ a rc2 which has nothing wrong w/ it, I just want the 180mm travel. So far the rc3 is my primary choice. Other than negatives like manipoo, does any one know how the travis performs? Thanks
I think it depends on where and how hard you ride.

The travis performs great until you you're ripping a 4,000 foot descent top to bottom, bottom it out and blow the intrinsic (or tpc+) cartridge up. Others have had more success, but I went through 5 cartridges on mine at Whistler over the course of a season. Thankfully, Summit Sports is a Manitou factory service center, so I was never more than a few hours off the bike.

Cheers,
EB
 

·
squish is good
Joined
·
4,933 Posts
ebxtreme said:
I think it depends on where and how hard you ride.

The travis performs great until you you're ripping a 4,000 foot descent top to bottom, bottom it out and blow the intrinsic (or tpc+) cartridge up. Others have had more success, but I went through 5 cartridges on mine at Whistler over the course of a season. Thankfully, Summit Sports is a Manitou factory service center, so I was never more than a few hours off the bike.

Cheers,
EB
Cid you blow up both Intrinsic and TPC+ EB? I can see having an issue with the Intrinsic cart but I'm not sure how a TPC+ cart could break. I've been rocking TPC in a Nixon for years and never even changed the oil, it's still like buttah!
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
Cid you blow up both Intrinsic and TPC+ EB? I can see having an issue with the Intrinsic cart but I'm not sure how a TPC+ cart could break. I've been rocking TPC in a Nixon for years and never even changed the oil, it's still like buttah!
Yeah, I blew up 3 stock intrinsic cartridges, 1 slightly modified intrinsic cartridge (manitou thought they had a solution figured out) and one TPC + cartridge. The TPC+ cartridge lasted significantly longer.....but I still blew it up. They rebuilt it again with a TPC+ cartridge and I sold it.

EB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you end up selling the travis after all? Is there anything specific that you were doing that made them blow like hucking huge jumps or was the product just poorly designed? Hmm sound like I should stick w/ the Marz.
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
ifouiripilay said:
So you end up selling the travis after all? Is there anything specific that you were doing that made them blow like hucking huge jumps or was the product just poorly designed? Hmm sound like I should stick w/ the Marz.
Yes, I sold it. You can see the whole story here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3655667&postcount=8

Basically, it would blow up on big hits when combined with a high speed run. When I did big hucks on local FR or the Shore (all slower speed stuff), it did fine. Maintou gave me a bunch of theories as to the cause (primarily around the heat generated), but in the end, I couldn't rely on it.

EB
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top