Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a sweet deal on a Minute 3 and went ahead bough it and installed it on my Unit. I have it on the 100mm setting and the darn thing is too stiff, is there a way to soften it?

I weight about 210 with gear and I'm running 70psi on the main chamber and 30psi on the spv, I tried the 80% of your body weight and that's too much to my linking and 50psi or less will be too little and will bottom out easily.

Any ideas other than putting 60psi?

I could put it on my VT and put Black Super on the Unit but will have to manually adjust the travel on the Black in order to use it at 100mm.

·
Registered
981 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
...I tried the 80% of your body weight and that's too much to my linking and 50psi or less will be too little and will bottom out easily
You can run the lower PSI in the air spring leg like 50 or 60 PSI and reduce the size of the SPV air chamber via the red volume chamber with the adapter tool that comes with it. Making the SPV chamber smaller will affect your mid to big hit stroke, so it won't bottom out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I read somewhere that the 100mm setting was not supposed to be used for hard riding and is designed for fire road climbing. I have an 04 Minute 3 and have the same problem. You can upgrade the fork for $200 to the 2005 valving with the Infinite Travel control. This would resolve the spring rate problem at 100mm, the can't ride it hard at 100mm problem, the 05 valving is supposed to have a wider range of adjustabilty, and you get the handlebar mounted IT switch to adjust the travel on the fly.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Have you called the Manitou tech support line? I've been talking to them over the past week getting their advice on setting up my Minute 1. They've been pretty helpful and even walked me through stuff over the phone.

661-257-4411

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frankenbike said:
You can run the lower PSI in the air spring leg like 50 or 60 PSI and reduce the size of the SPV air chamber via the red volume chamber with the adapter tool that comes with it. Making the SPV chamber smaller will affect your mid to big hit stroke, so it won't bottom out.
To which direction shall I turn the red knob to reduce the size?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

After calling Manitou's Tech Support yesterday they explained to me what's going on. By putting the fork on the 100mm setting I'm giving it a 30mm preload making it too stiff.

The tech support guy also explained to me that the 100mm setting was supposed to be used for climbing and not as a regular travel setting and told me that I made the wrong fork for the application that I wanted, he suggested a Minute 2 100 but it's too late for that now.

During the conversation I told him that I had a Black Super 100/120 on my geared bike and he suggested to switch forks between bikes and to change the travel on the Black to 100 and that I'll be happy at the end.

Last night I also discovered that the rebound button rod on the Minute is broken and that there's a small oil leak on that area, I called Manitou again and they will warranty it no questions asked. I'm waiting for them to send me the RMA # in order to ship the fork to them.

Hopefully this fork situation will be sorted out in the next few weeks and I'll be a happy rider once again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
981 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
After calling Manitou's Tech Support yesterday they explained to me what's going on. By putting the fork on the 100mm setting I'm giving it a 30mm preload making it too stiff.
Yup, this affects all forks with travel reduction features. Compressing the fork is an unwanted coincidental preload. Interestingly enough Manitou claims this on thier site "Our Rapid Travel Wind Down (RTWD) geared travel adjust system allows riders to set their suspension anywhere between 100 and 130mm of travel, on the fly, without a change in spring rate."

I don't think there is anything wrong with riding a Minute RTWD model in 100mm mode. I just ease up on the SPV pressure to compensate for the stiffer feel. I rode my U-turn Psylo all the way down to 85mm all the time for XC.

I enjoy my 04 SPV Minute. Don't think I will back to a non stable platform shock anymore.

Also kudos to Manitou's tech support crew, helped me out with setting my SPV just right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.