Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Instinct 970 MSL and am considering doing a conversion to 1x10 using the Oneup or Wolftooth 42 tooth cog.

I have read about this working really well for some people and not so well for others, so I am thinking it may be, at least partially, due to specific bike.

So, is anyone here running a 1x10 conversion on their Instinct (or other Rocky bike)?

Thanks

·
ups and downs
15,593 Posts
The 42T success is going to be heavily influenced by the rear derailleur used and what kind of gear range it can handle, but 1x10 is pretty commonly used. The real question is how steep are your trails? That will tell you whether you can live without a granny gear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan is to ride without my two largest cogs on the back for the start of the season to test this out. If I do this, my easiest gear will actually be more difficult than a 30T front/42T back combo.

I have been finding on my first rides on the Instinct that using the largest cog on the back has actually been causing me to spin out on climbs, and I have been climbing better on the Instinct when I stay out of the easiest two cogs.

However, that testing was in Moab, not BC, so climbing conditions are a bit different.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Running 1X 10 on my slayer using the race face ring and a standard cassette, along with an X9 clutch deraileur. Two dropped chains while riding the North Shore once, otherwise never had an issue. I'll never go back to 2x10, the single ring upfront makes riding so much quieter, and so much more enjoyable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts