Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just met some guy on a trail at Gooseberry Mesa who had a Garmin Edge attached to his bike and looked like it could add some value to my rides.

Any of you guys ride with a GPS? I'm also a bit into backpacking as well and would like a GPS device that I can use both on my bike and hiking the backcountry ... any suggestions?

kev

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
I've got an Edge 305, and I like it a lot. You could also get the wristwatch version [I can't recall the model name], which might be better for multiple activities, not just biking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Garmin Oregon and I'm very happy with it. If you want to use the GPS for hiking and etc. it's the best choice. A use in the car either and it works great. There's new models - Dakota that's very similar to Oregon, but slightly smaller with better screen visibility (if I have to buy now this will be my choice).

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
I use an Oregon 400 (handheld, touch screen). I use it primarily to record rides & hikes, not so much for finding my way, although it did come in handy finding the correct trail out of the woods once in a place I hadn't ridden before. I also use it for geocaching with my kids.

I got the 400c (maritime charts preloaded) because it was marked waaaayyyy down at a boat store going out of business. You can load it with other maps, though (topos & roads), and it takes a micro-SD card.

It's a bit on the large side. I don't know if there's a handlebar mount for it, and how durable that would be for rough rides. I clip mine to the back of my hydration pack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
random walk said:
I don't know if there's a handlebar mount for it, and how durable that would be for rough rides. I clip mine to the back of my hydration pack.
There is and it's quite secure, a lot of enduro motobikeres use it with no problem, although I prefer to keep mine in the backpack on the dh.

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
pe6u said:
There is and it's quite secure, a lot of enduro motobikeres use it with no problem, although I prefer to keep mine in the backpack on the dh.
Thanks! That would make it a lot easier when I want to stop and record a waypoint.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I use my Iphone... Works great. Several apps let you upload your ride directly to a website to see your stats. Some also let you collect waypoints, import tracks, etc... Just waiting for the bluetooth HR monitors and cadence sensors to get worked out! Not the best GPS antenna in them, but if you're out of the trees you can get down to about a 2M horizontal accuracy, +/-12M vertically. In the trees... meh, 50m or so, but with a 3g connection it stays tighter. 3hours is about max for the battery, though. Luckily there are plenty of external battery add-ons.

The edge 705 seems to be the way to go for dedicated gps units for cyclists. The one I'm looking at at REI comes with streetmaps and Western Topo maps preloaded. Way better deal than the Oregon or Dakota which dont have either for the same price. That might just be REI though... Maybe they have a special release for them available at a special price.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
I just picked up a refurb etrex legend cx, basically the same as teh hcx. Use it mostly for guiding us when marking trail etc. Same sort of deal, color screen with micro sd with loadable maps etc.

I might take it on some rides to see whats up :)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I always keep my Nokia N95 phone with me. It usually gives me an "adequate" GPS track of where I went. If I ever want to take a photo, it lets me do that too.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Dude, there is a whole forum here on GPS use.
I just bought one and love it (Etrex legend hcx).
Here is what I decided when I was doing my research:
I don't like the edge 305, or forerunner models because they don't have map capability. If you want to see your ride on a map, you need to download it onto your computer and view it with google earth or other software.
The Edge 705 is really cool because it has heart rate monitor capability along with all the other key features and map capability.
The Garmin Colorado and Oregon are advanced hiking GPS's. Nice but some unnecessary stuff for more advanced users and GPS geeks.
I bought my legend hcx because I got a great deal on craigslist. It has a memory card slot (important for storing base maps). the one thing it doesn't have is a barometric altimeter, which would make altitude readings more accurate. The Vista hcx has the barometric altimeter (as does the colorado, oregon, and edge I believe).

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
But if I had to spend all my evenings analyzing my rides...
... when would I have time to hang around the forums?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I recently started using My Tracks on my Google Android phone. Its super convenient and will automatically upload your info to Google Documents if you have a gmail account. You can immediately send your tracks to friends too. If you use the same description for the track, it will continuously add your info into the same spreadsheet with a link to your track on google maps....pretty convenient...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.