Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a nice spill the other day on a stream crossing. Flipped over the bars and landed on rocks. Messed up my arm and shoulder pretty good - no broken bones thankfully! So naturally in the back of my mind is arm protection. Anyone use it? Is it cumbersome and hot?

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
After bashing my bony elbows 2 or 3 times in a row on falls I picked up some POC elbow pads and after 2 rides I can say that they're definitely a confidence booster but after about an hour or so they start to feel like a tourniquet. That might be a deal breaker for me, I'll give them a few more shots though.

I'm also looking at hip protection (least cumbersome possible) if anyone has anything to say about that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking about purchasing a set of arm guards for the real techy rocky stuff. I can't afford to get hurt with my career.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I usually just wear the Gform elbow pads. Lightweight and breathe well and have saved my elbows from dirt rash and rock bash a few times.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
IMG-20140430-00709.jpg

I just started wearing G-Form elbow and knee pads..I went down a good many times before I got them..bleeding in one place and another...I have enough scars on me! LOL
I don't like a whole lota bulk on me and I didn't need real MTB hard pads. Just someting between me and the Earth!
Started with Elbows as a test..got the knees too and I like very much.
Light and compact they fit in the front pocket of my Raptor^^^ ALL 4 pads.
I leave them off for the 30min. 4mph climb...get to the top..slip them on and RIDE!!

Oddly my crashing has gone down and my Speed and AIR TIME has gone UP!
Confedence builder I would assume....I am jumping farther and higher...
Weeeeeeeee
OK too much Coffee on a Monday for Burt...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I wear my 661 Kyle Strait kneepads about half the time I ride. I have arm pads, but I don't wear them as often -- really only on full-on DH or lift days.

·
650b me
1,486 Posts
I see a lot more photos of guys wearing knee pads than elbow pads. Why is that? When I crash, it's almost always my elbows that take the brunt of it. I've never worn pads but am considering elbow pads like the OP.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I see a lot more photos of guys wearing knee pads than elbow pads. Why is that? When I crash, it's almost always my elbows that take the brunt of it. I've never worn pads but am considering elbow pads like the OP.
I'm in the same boat..my elbows allways bleed...not so true with my knees about 1/2 the blood letting.
I started with Elbow to see if I could hang with pads on...the G-Form is light and super easy to pack with you. Some had issues with the spandex part ripping so I just take care when pulling them off and on....
SO far they don't bother me at all when I am riding and keeping skin on my body is a bonus!! :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel like if I were to get anything, i would get arm gear. My legs don't really take any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
G-Form for knees and elbows if I am riding rockier trails most of the time.
It would be great if they could breathe some. The cuff of the elbow pads go up my arm farther than I would like. Aside from that no complaints so far. Had them about 3 years.
I think they are a warmer than my Lizard Skins hard shell pads. If the Lizard Skins stayed up on my elbows a little better, and they were less bulky overall I would wear them instead.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I feel like if I were to get anything, i would get arm gear. My legs don't really take any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? I almost never hit my elbows. Whenever I fall it's hands and knees that hit the ground usually. I have elbow pads but do not wear them a lot, only DH riding really

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can chime in on hip protection, which I just started to incorporate. Had a hard time finding a good baggy short with an integrated riding short underneath, so I just use my favorite spandex/chamois junk-huggers with some Troy Lee shorts (can't remember which model) on the outside. The Troy Lee's have hip pads, very similar to motocross pants- in fact the Troy Lee shorts are like motox pants, cut into shorts. I like them very much and they are my go-to short.

Ride on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
On most trails (since they're pretty much all rocky) G-Form for elbow, just picked up some POC for knees after the G-Form knee pads kept slipping.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I don't know why others do it, but for me, I've had a couple injuries to my knees that would have been prevented by wearing pads (these both came on "regular" trails, not downhill or anything like that), and like the extra protection there. I have never had more than just some road (dirt?) rash on my elbows and arms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts