Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like being able to move my hands around in different positions while climbing. look at pictures of other people's bikes it doesnt look like many people ride with bar ends. am i alone out there? whats your reasons for using or for not using bar ends?

·
Registered
228 Posts
They were big in the 90's and now seem to be out of style with the newer bikers. That being said,I really don't care if they're stylish or not,they help me climb so I use them on my bikes. My next pair will be the Ergon GX-2's.

Steel frame bikes were once "out of stye" too,and now look whats making a resurgence. Just use what feels good is my motto. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got a pair of super light profile bar ends that I've had to 12 years and 2 bikes. Can't live without 'em. They don't seem popular these days. but I like them for 2 reasons

1) hand position when climbing
2) whack protection factor when in tight spaces!

If these bar ends keep going, I'll be passing then on to my son!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use a set of Ergon GR2 grips with bar ends integrated. My initial reason for putting these on my bike was comfort. After almost 30 years working in an automotive assembly plant, I need to be able to move my hands around a lot to combat numbness and fatigue. These grip/bar ends work great for this. As an added bonus, they are great for climbing. Another unexpected benefit for me is the relief I get from soreness in my right elbow when I grip the bar ends. I am still a little paranoid about hooking a tree in tight situations but for me the benefits are worth it. I am sure that the more I ride with them the more confident I will get in those tight situations.

·
off to ride
207 Posts
I ride with them, use them for longer rides which allows me to move my hand position around a bit. I've also seen a difference while climbing, just a different way of pulling while going up.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm kind of a masher on the pedals (I prefer to stand and muscle up hills rather than sit and spin) and IMO you can't beat them for climbing while standing. Also, as others have said, I find that they tend to aid with climbing while staying seated. You can pull against them for leverage when you need it and it also helps me to relax my grip which in-turn helps me to relax my upper body. Give them a try.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these are all EXACTLY why i run bar ends. ive been given some crap about getting caught in tight spaces but nothing yet. (knock on wood). the tips of my bar ends are curved inward too so its harder to get them caught on stuff. i use to ride my dad's bike and he ran bar ends as well. always had them, guess ill always run them on bikes i plan to pedal with.

anyone ever fear of getting stabbed by the bar ends on a crash?

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, decreased use, but I still love my bar ends. Really helps with those extended climbs, and nice on the short, tough ones that you really have to muscle through. I have caught them on trees before, and that does suck, but it makes me pay more attention to where my front end is going. I used to have the Scott AT-4 Pro bars, way back in the day. The ones that came all the way around and had the rise in the middle so you could get all aero roadie style on the downhills. Even had brake levers that were sort of L shaped so you could still pull your brakes while using various hand placement. I loved that setup, too bad the bike got stolen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another yes for bar ends, even though I feel a bit of a tool with them on, because I feel as if I am trying to be too cool for true (or look too hot, whichever way you look at it). <G>

Great for uphill. For me they allow better pull, better breathing, and on steep climbs, less likely to wheelstand.

I have caught mine on stuff a few times. The ends curve in, but brush has still got in there, and gets jammed between my glove and the B/E So far it has just pulled a little and torn off a few twigs. With bigger stuff I have never had any trouble.
Nick

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I don't use them but I can see why some like them. Your choice.

--- I am quite capable of snagging a "normal" riser bar on trees and saplings. ---

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use em. Mine curve in as well and have actually saved my knuckles when I got a bit too close to a tree on a tight section of single track.

Without the barends, I would have punched the tree. But as it was, my bar just glanced off. I put them on to be able to change hand position on long rides, but I've found they have many more uses.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have an old set of avenirs that have 1000's of miles on them. They are short and they are curved in and I have caught them on small trees and undergrowth. That will stop the bike really quickly might i add. I still run them though. To answer yimmy149's question, there is no "rule" for angle to speak of but I set mine to be parallel with the stem. I would not set them lower than parallel, that really defeats the purpose but a little higher than parallel is not going to kill you. to hell with fads.... mine are on the bike to stay..

·
Registered
974 Posts
I used to have them, but when I bought my new bike they weren't on there. I have not had them since. When you do a steep climb in the low chainring, they prevent you from pulling your front tire up. But I almost always ride the center ring, so it's not a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a set of Cane Creek bar ends on my ODI stationary grips set up. I really prefer them on climbs than being without. Plus it's nice to just rest my hands on them as I coast down a smooth hill.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
hehe. I didn't know they were going out of style! I know one at least one of my bud's uses them, because I recommended them for climbing. I bought some small, really lightweight bar ends years ago, and transferred them from bike to bike.

They're not essential, but they're worth the price (insignificant), and the weight (insignificant). I like having options for hand positions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a set of bontrager barends about 1 month ago from my lbs the packaging was actually faded from the sun coming through the window they were on the shelf so long, but anyway the only time I'm not using mine is when I am on the brakes or shifting. One thing I noticed is during very steep climbs I am pulling on those things so hard my front wheel will come off the ground or nearly float while I'm ascending.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to have them on my bike about 10 years ago, and when I got back on the saddle about a year ago I asked the employee of the LBS I purchased my bike from where they kept theirs. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me they only had two types and nobody runs them anymore. Needless to say I picked up a pair that I mounted on my bike and now my brother and two of the guys I ride with put them on their bike as well.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=25225

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.