Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been considering getting one of these. I like the "race yourself" feature as I am more competetive with myself than with other riders.

Was wondering if anyone had one of these who could answer a couple questions:
1-Charge time?
2-Does it have multiple bike settings (I'd like to use it for my road and mountain bike)
3-Is it as valuable a training tool as it seems like it would be?
4-Does it rub your feet after long rides? (it should for the price!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
1. and 2. are answered in the product info on the Garmin website. As for 3., it's essentially a glorified cyclocomputer/heart rate monitor combo that'll tell you where you've been when you're done. If you're looking for a valuable training tool, you'll need some sort of power compatibility and a coach to help you decipher the info and develop training plans for you.

I tried a 705 for awhile (w/out power measuring capability) and found it to be a distraction more than anything. I'm sure there will be lots of folks who'll extol the virtues of a GPS-based cyclocomputer/hr monitor because they like to see all the "data" after their rides, but IMO that doesn't really mean that their GPS is a valuable training tool. I sold mine after about a month.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1-Charge time?

By this I assume you mean how long a charge will last - and I've seen mine last up to about 8 hrs with GPS and HRM modes on (no cadence meter).

2-Does it have multiple bike settings (I'd like to use it for my road and mountain bike)

Has Bike 1 and Bike 2 settings.

3-Is it as valuable a training tool as it seems like it would be?

It is coded with all the functions that one would need for a comprehensive training program, except power training. How and whether one uses them to any benefit is, of course, dependent on the user.

4-Does it rub your feet after long rides? (it should for the price!)

Check around the web, especially Amazon and even Costco, which had a coupon promotion several months back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've been training with the edge 305 for over a year and i find it to be quite useful for transmitting all my ride info to the training peaks website. i have a coach and it allows him to look at heart rate data, distance, elevation gain, etc. my only gripe is that they are prone to breaking. i've gone through 3 units in one year 2 of them had display failures and the other just stopped responding. garmin has been way cool in backing up there product, but there are obviously some issues with durability. i am not that hard on stuff although it does get used 6 days a week. i hope this helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also, if you travel or ride in new places a lot then the basic GPS mapping is very usefull.

I like mine, the race yourself feature is great fun. I will buy another (although may go for a more GPS map orientated one as I no longer use heart rate).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the Garmin 405 which I use mainly for running. I've worn it on some long MTB endurance races, a couple of 8 hour races and that is about max for it to hold a charge utilizing the GPS feature. I'm disappointed that it won't last longer, but overall I do like it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
dirtdirt223 said:
all garmins break, alot.
Just to add some balance to this thread. I have thrashed my Garmin edge for 2 years now, used it mtbiking in sub zero temps, mud, rain (Heavy rain), taken it running, tramping, and even open water swimming (in a zip tie bag). Its still going strong, I guess there are some duds out there?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thumbs Up for the 305

Mine has been great. I have had it for a season and it's worked perfectly. I used it down in North Carolina when a group of us got lost after our first couple of hours out on the trails. I just followed the crumb trail back to our starting point. It paid for itself right there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
Mine has been great. I have had it for a season and it's worked perfectly. I used it down in North Carolina when a group of us got lost after our first couple of hours out on the trails. I just followed the crumb trail back to our starting point. It paid for itself right there.
With a screen name like "Ranger Pride" I wouldn't expect you to get lost in the first place. Can't lead the way if you can't find your way, you know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been very happy with my 305HR (no cadence). I get around 12 hours of active use from a full charge. It does have multiple bike settings. Mine has been through rain, snow, mud and many crashes. It is valuable to me as it lets me create routes, pace against the computer and track progress.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
scooter2468 said:
With a screen name like "Ranger Pride" I wouldn't expect you to get lost in the first place. Can't lead the way if you can't find your way, you know.
Now that's funny! But since I was not an Army Ranger you gotta give me a pass.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
Now that's funny! But since I was not an Army Ranger you gotta give me a pass.
So, let me guess, either your spouse or your son or perhaps your brother is/was a Ranger?? Or, are you just really proud of your bass boat? Nah, can't be the last one, you wouldn't have caught the reference to Rangers leading the way.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had a 305, loved it, lost it during a bad crash (didnt notice until it was too late and I was miles down the mountain), bought another used unit on ebay, and have loved them both. I do not train with power, but I love programming custom workouts into the 305 and then I can get out on the open road/trail and be focused on my workout. I also have downloaded race course GPX tracks and loaded the breadcrumbs into the unit and been able to follow it for epic races. NOt perfect for route finding, but it does help me be aware of significant upcoming direction changes, ie, look for a sharp right turn, etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot for all of the input. I'm thinking that the I'm gonna go ahead and get one. I'll just watch e-bay for a good deal...this is the PERFECT time of year for that kind of stuff...lots of gifts being sold!

One more question...........

I like riding 24 hour races solo and I'm concerned that the 12 hr. max battery run time will basically make the thing useless since its the second 12 hours that really get tough and it'd be nice to be able to use it to help keep my pace using the "race yourself" feature. Opinions on this? How long does it take to re-charge? Can you change the battery? Can you turn off the gps feature and just use lap/HR feature to extend battery life?? Or should I just use my current cateye computer for the actual race?

·
1,534 Posts
Steady Grind said:
Thanks a lot for all of the input. I'm thinking that the I'm gonna go ahead and get one. I'll just watch e-bay for a good deal...this is the PERFECT time of year for that kind of stuff...lots of gifts being sold!
check best buy.

apparently a bunch of people have found them for under $140, new, with heart rate. not available on the bestbuy site...you'll have to go into your nearest one. definitely worth a shot though.

One more question...........

I like riding 24 hour races solo and I'm concerned that the 12 hr. max battery run time will basically make the thing useless since its the second 12 hours that really get tough and it'd be nice to be able to use it to help keep my pace using the "race yourself" feature. Opinions on this? How long does it take to re-charge? Can you change the battery? Can you turn off the gps feature and just use lap/HR feature to extend battery life?? Or should I just use my current cateye computer for the actual race?
you can buy battery extender things that plug into the USB port and will give you extra life for a 24hr event.

·
Riding or Drumming
213 Posts
A few thoughts:

- Unit has been quite durable. It's been though a few big get-offs with no ill effects.

- Garmin is quite good on warranty issues. Quick and no-hassle on the variety of items I've owned.

- Battery life is good but not sure that the claimed 12hrs is accurate. 8-10 hrs?

- Wouldn't bother with the cadence sensor unless you're using it on your road bike. Not durable plus no use in off-road riding.

However, I would probably do the new Edge 500. Cheaper, ANT+ capable (if you want to use a powertap hub), longer battery life, but no mapping. Honestly, I ALWAYS carry a paper map if I'm riding someplace new and the small display on the 305 is just short of worthless. I use my 305 for data logging rides, training and general cycle computer odo, etc while riding. Probably selling my 305 and getting the 500...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all the input. I think I have the information I need.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
The Garmin 305 is neat, I don't train seriously, but I do like to see all the data at the end of a ride.
Just wish the battery lasted longer...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nomit said:
you can buy battery extender things that plug into the USB port and will give you extra life for a 24hr event.
Is this a garmin product?? I looked at the website and couldn't find anything like this. Could you provide a link so I can see what you're talking about? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts