Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the warm weather we have been having I was thinking of heading up to ride Smith Rock this weekend. Has anyone rode up there lately? I am curious what the conditions are like up there.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
I was up there this past weekend, and it was pretty nice, as it was my first time out there. Bunch of hikers, no other bikers. I just took a spin along the trail that paralles the river, but I'm thinking of going up there again this weekend, or out to Horse Ridge.

As this is my first winter here, I'm really digging the east-side riding.

·
Registered
19,024 Posts
VA2SLOride said:
I was up there this past weekend, and it was pretty nice, as it was my first time out there. Bunch of hikers, no other bikers. I just took a spin along the trail that paralles the river, but I'm thinking of going up there again this weekend, or out to Horse Ridge.

As this is my first winter here, I'm really digging the east-side riding.
Scott, if you go to Smith instead of Horse this weekend, check out Gray Butte, which is linked to Smith.

Here's one thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=175503&highlight=gray+butte

Search for "Gray Butte" to find several other threads.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,661 Posts
Yeahbutt.............

Nat said:
Scott, if you go to Smith instead of Horse this weekend, check out Gray Butte, which is linked to Smith.

Here's one thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=175503&highlight=gray+butte

Search for "Gray Butte" to find several other threads.
Doesn't the north side of Gray Butte turn to indescribable gumbo this time of year? Don't stick your foot in that! :eek:

--Sparty

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Well, I didn't end up going riding out at Smith, but went for a nice hike instead. Didn't make it to Grey Butte, though.

I DID go out to Horse, though, and that was nice. There's so much out there that's not even close to being on the map...I'll be out there for weeks.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
Smith Rock update

As of Feb. 4th, it was pretty soupy. I rode from Skull Hollow out to Burma Road and back (loli-pop loop). Lots of soft, muddy conditions before you hit the side hill. Made for a brutal first season climb, that's for sure. The side hill to Burma was choice however. Came back the way I came on the sidehill and hit the descent once you go through the gate. The descent down was the super wet and muddy... covered pretty much head to toe in the stuff once I got to my car. On that note, that last section had about 10 or so tree's intentionally fallen on it, right across the trail. Not sure why, but it pretty much kills the entire top section of what is an otherwise great downhill. I will say it was quite erroded however, so maybe they are doing a reroute?

Mud or not, those panoramic mountain views are worth every pedal stroke. Love that place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.