Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm going freaking nuts (and spending waaay to much time on the Turner/SC boards according to my GF) trying to decide on a Nomad or Turner 6-pack (or possibly an spesh Enduro).

I recently took the Nomad for a test ride around the bike shop hood-some nice stairs to ride down, small 1-2 flat drops, a steep street to ride up...it was niiiice! No pedal bob, but the thing is sooo freakin plush on the stairs & drops! The geometry felt really good for such a slack bike compared to what I ride now, and the extra weight felt totally manageable-and I especially tried to pay attention to the brake jack thing as I rode down the stairs w/ the brakes on, which I couldn't feel anything...

I should back up a step: This purchase will be my 'only' bike-from singletrack technical stuff in Bend, to lite freeride stuff in Falls City-and everything in between. I am selling 2 other bikes (my 3.9" FSR & 5" FSR trailbike for this). I was thinking my new 5" bike would have been the last bike for me-but I am just too heavy & wanting to do the jumps too much - I feel like I'm gonna break that thing already.

But I can't find a built up 6-pack ANYWHERE. A shop in Hood river (2hrs away) has offered to build one up just for me to test ride...but I can't exactly do back to back comparisons w/ the SC then.

Sooo...anyone on this board riddin both the SC & 6 pack enough to note the key differences? I keep going back & forth on the 6-pack-is it an effecient enough pedaler to be the 'one' bike? I plan to use the DHX air on it if I go Turner, mainly for weight savings, as my finished product goal wieght is ~ 32 pounds. But the 'Pack is soo damn simple looking its sexy, and the Turner reputation for quality, customer service(how many other bike mfgr have the OWNER posting on a regular basis on the MTBR forums??) and rider culture is a huge draw for me.

I was thinking SC was gonna get my business after my test ride, then I keep reading things about the VPP - like it totally has a 'numb?' feeling on the trails compared to other suspensions?? And bearing issues w/ Vpp bikes, SC percieved cust service on this board seems very poor...It seems there are alot of folks on here waiting 6+ weeks for their new bike after they were told 2 weeks...

I know no one can make the decision for me, but the forums have really helped me thus far...maybe there are some generous Homers out here in Oregon who will go on a ride w/ me & let me test drive the ol' Pack??? :)

thanks in advance,

JDub

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
Biker75 said:
Sooo...anyone on this board riddin both the SC & 6 pack enough to note the key differences? I keep going back & forth on the 6-pack-is it an effecient enough pedaler to be the 'one' bike? I plan to use the DHX air on it if I go Turner, mainly for weight savings, as my finished product goal wieght is ~ 32 pounds. But the 'Pack is soo damn simple looking its sexy, and the Turner reputation for quality, customer service(how many other bike mfgr have the OWNER posting on a regular basis on the MTBR forums??) and rider culture is a huge draw for me.
Tscheezy tried out the Nomad during the Interbike Demo Days, and has been riding a Pack longer than just about anyone on here. You can read his impressions in this thread.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SkullCrack said:
Tscheezy tried out the Nomad during the Interbike Demo Days, and has been riding a Pack longer than just about anyone on here. You can read his impressions in this thread.
Yep, read that one a while back too. I probably will go w/ the Talas 36 tho, and the vanilla seemed to be a major thing Tscheezy didn't like about the 'mad...

thanks tho!

Jdub

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haven't seen or tried a Nomad, but you mentioned maybe looking at an enduro. I can say that the Pack is alot smoother/plusher through its travel than the Spech (you can notice it just doing a carpark test). My pack does have the DHX coil tho, which I highly recommend. Climbing ability is awesome, very adjustable with the DHX and incredibly active over rough terrain climbs. With a good build you can still achieve 32lbs.

Good luck choosing! ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,812 Posts
I wouldn't ride the Nomad based on it's geometry. It has the same BB height as my foes basically, but with much more travel, and I hit my pedals enough with that thing to know that any lower would not be good. The nomad has more travel than the 6pack, and a significantly lower BB. Maybe this is due to the different intended uses, but I think the BB height with the pack is just right, not too high or too low. The nomad also has a fairly short top tube, long chainstays, but the top tube is fairly short, which gives you a shorter wheelbase than with the pack.

I also wouldn't ride a VPP due to the highly leveraged pivots, I want something that will last through the years with minimal maint, which is what the turner pivots are.

Geometry makes the difference between these two bikes for me. I could have had a Nomad, but I just wasn't interested.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
6PK or Nomad?

Jayem said:
I wouldn't ride the Nomad based on it's geometry. It has the same BB height as my foes basically, but with much more travel, and I hit my pedals enough with that thing to know that any lower would not be good. The nomad has more travel than the 6pack, and a significantly lower BB. Maybe this is due to the different intended uses, but I think the BB height with the pack is just right, not too high or too low. The nomad also has a fairly short top tube, long chainstays, but the top tube is fairly short, which gives you a shorter wheelbase than with the pack.

I also wouldn't ride a VPP due to the highly leveraged pivots, I want something that will last through the years with minimal maint, which is what the turner pivots are.

Geometry makes the difference between these two bikes for me. I could have had a Nomad, but I just wasn't interested.
I had a Turner 6 pack for about 3 months. I really liked the bike. It just didn't feel as smooth to me as th Nomad. I tried it with a DHX Coil and settled on the Avalanche, which I recommed if you're going to get one, but after riding my buddies Nomad back to back, the Nomad just felt better. I have had several Santa Cruz bikes and have had only a few CS issues, with which, the handled. Yeah, it might have been a little hassle on one of them, but it was a fairly easy thing to handle. So, the CS isn't an issue with me at least. As for your target weight, the Nomad will be a little easier to get that too due to the fact the pack weighs in at 8.8 vs the Nomad at, I think, 7 ish?? It really is preference, but the Nomad gets my vote for performace and handling just a hair above the pack. Both are great choices for the "1" bike.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Not sure if the Nomad can take the abuse a pack can since it is lighter and you aren't a little guy.
SC's customer service seems quite good - Dusty Bottoms has had great service from them. Of course no one is quite as good as Turner but it sounds like they are pretty good. People have had to play the waiting game on Turner frames as well in the past, so don't let that sway you.

Don't sweat the lack of back to back testing, and go ride the Turner - see what you like. If you like both equally well, pick the one that looks better to you. Both appear to be great bikes.

Hopefully the Nomad won't have the bearing problems the Blur had.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
I gotta second JM here-

Jayem said:

I work for a Santa Cruz dealer, and I own a Pack. Our manager got his Nomad right before I ordered my bike, so I had the benefit of riding one (and owning a Spot) before deciding. The geometry really made the Nomad a second choice for me. The large Nomad is only ~1/2" longer in the top tube than the medium Pack, and is noticably taller in standover, plus has noticably longer chainstays. The medium is just way too small. I also preferred the steeper seat angle of the Pack. The Nomad is really raked out with a 150mm Marzocchi, it feels like it was designed around a Pike-length fork (same feeling Tscheezy reported). It feels much better with the 150mm Travis he has on there now, but still a little slack for me (and I like slack bikes). The bottom bracket is a little low, too.

All that said, the Nomad is plush and smooth. It's very laterally stiff as well. The bearings scare me, as we've sold a ton of Blurs and, well, you know. It's a great bike that I'd ride happily- if I didn't have my Pack.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
A couple of things....if you are a big boy, you may want to consider the 6-pack. Also, if you weigh over 200 lbs you will want to rethink the Talas version of the 36. I weigh 225 lbs, and I had a 36 Talas for a month, and I hated it. For the type of riding I do, it just never felt right. I'd either go with a 36 Vanilla, or a Z-1. Trying to build up a 32 lb 6-pack that will be able to handle a lot of abuse will be hard to do. I think it'd be more realistice to shoot for a 34 lb pack. The one thing about the Nomad that I prefer to the pack, is the deeper rear suspension feel. The 6-pack has a high leverage ratio, and doesn't feel quite as plush as the Nomad.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fantastic feedback!

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far!!

You folks have some fantastic insight---on both bikes---...which is admirable considering this is the Homer board. Thank you for the objective opinions everyone.
I might go w/ the Pike & DT swiss 5.1's & 2.3 rubbers to acheive my target weight if I go w/ the pack...I see several of you are using that fork on yours, so it must be a good fit for the pack. Maybe even the avalance shock, too if its lighter than the DHX coil.
....Off to find some more info on that shock now! (there's another 3 hrs on mtbr).
I'm not that heavy, but w/ gear approaching 200#...my S-works trailbike w/ septune shock just aint keepin up w/ my bulk---

Thanks again!

Jdub

·
Registered
323 Posts
While I haven't ridden a Nomad, I have ridden other Santa Cruz VPP bikes. I think they pedal very nicely and handle trail chatter pretty well. I, however would recommend the Pack. The extra stiffness in the pivots is really nice. The bike pedals extremely well and is sturdy. I can ride mine on the trails, light DHing, urban riding, etc. Perhaps the most compelling reason, it will feel like a better version of your Specialized (I owned an FSR before). While a new one won't necessarily have the Horst Link like your Spec., it will feel pretty much identical...with more travel and a stiffer rear end. The VPP rear ends (to me) feel kind of flat and weird bunny hopping. My mechanic (who sold me his Turner) now rides a VPP bike and says it takes a lot of getting used to when preloading the bike for jumping. It rides smooth, has tons of travel, but he wants his Turner back (I'm never going to let it go). I would definately recommend the Avalanche shock (it will probably make it feel like it has the same travel as the SC). There is also the versatility of the Turner, you can build it up light with 5" travel rockers if you want to on Monday and 6" burly for Tuesday. Just my two cents. I admit that I liked the the VP Free when it was coming out, and the new Intense bikes are tempting, but I just love the 4 bar feel and don't want to change my fleet over.

Bryan

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I have never ridden a Nomad, but my intention was to buy one before buying my Pack. I was talked out of it by my LBS due to the fact that I like a very active rear suspension and the pivots are superior to the SC....among other reasons. I couldn't be happier with my Pack, it weighs 32.6lbs with a DHX-Air and a 36 Vanilla in front. The bike can climb all day long and it goes downhill almost as well as my AS-X does. I would not hesitate to buy a Turner again, I use to think my Foes FXR was a great bike (which it was) but the 6 Pack just does everything better with a much more plush feeling rear suspension.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
It should be obvious from the Interbike demos, but I guess I'll reiterate that given a ~540mm A-C fork, the Intense 6.6 and 6-Pack definitely exhibited better handling. The Nomad was just begging for a Pike or other 520mm imho. I don't think the Highline suffered a bigger climbing deficit with the 40 than the Nomad did with the 36 from a geometry point of view (and the Highline did not pedal any worse). I like somewhat slack bikes, but the Nomad just seemed overpowered by the 36 that was on it. I have liked just about every VPP I have ridden and those that seemed to fall short I could trace back to a crappy shock or poorly specced fork or a bike which simply falls outside my range of preferred application (for instance I liked the Spider more than the 5.5 because the Spider's geometry was more appropriate to that type of bike *xc racer* than the 5.5's are to it *trailbike*, again, imo). Intense just got the geometry right on the 6.6for a pedalable (word?) light-FR VPP rig. The 6-Pack is absolutely spot-on from a handling perspective. I'm not trying to bash the Nomad, just say that by the end of the show as all of us were going back over our mental (or in my case written) notes on what bikes stood out and why, no one mentioned the Nomad. I think there was general agreement that the best 6" bikes were the 6-Pack, 6.6, and Reign. I bet the Nomad would have made the cut with a different fork.

When I traveled through Hurricane I dropped by Shuntavi Bikes a couple of times hoping to catch Doug and ask him if I could borrow his personal Nomad (medium, AM1) for a day, but it never worked out. It's for sale in the classifieds, BTW.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
tscheezy said:
It should be obvious from the Interbike demos, but I guess I'll reiterate that given a ~540mm A-C fork, the Intense 6.6 and 6-Pack definitely exhibited better handling. The Nomad was just begging for a Pike or other 520mm imho. I don't think the Highline suffered a bigger climbing deficit with the 40 than the Nomad did with the 36 from a geometry point of view (and the Highline did not pedal any worse). I like somewhat slack bikes, but the Nomad just seemed overpowered by the 36 that was on it. I have liked just about every VPP I have ridden and those that seemed to fall short I could trace back to a crappy shock or poorly specced fork or a bike which simply falls outside my range of preferred application (for instance I liked the Spider more than the 5.5 because the Spider's geometry was more appropriate to that type of bike *xc racer* than the 5.5's are to it *trailbike*, again, imo). Intense just got the geometry right on the 6.6for a pedalable (word?) light-FR VPP rig. The 6-Pack is absolutely spot-on from a handling perspective. I'm not trying to bash the Nomad, just say that by the end of the show as all of us were going back over our mental (or in my case written) notes on what bikes stood out and why, no one mentioned the Nomad. I think there was general agreement that the best 6" bikes were the 6-Pack, 6.6, and Reign. I bet the Nomad would have made the cut with a different fork.

When I traveled through Hurricane I dropped by Shuntavi Bikes a couple of times hoping to catch Doug and ask him if I could borrow his personal Nomad (medium, AM1) for a day, but it never worked out. It's for sale in the classifieds, BTW.
Did the 6.6 feel as plush as the nomad? Just curious? I have a nomad on order but may change to the 6.6 if that is the case. I do think the Nomad is a little raked out. I have an 06 Z1 Light to go on it, and I am afraid it may do the same to it. Thoughts!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Like the fork's effect on geometry/handling, a shock will have a huge effect on the perceived plushness of the rear end, so I hesitate to rank one as more "plush" than the other. They are basically similarly executed and given the same shock, the coasting bump absorption performance would be roughly equal. Either could be set up to be compliant, or nasty, I'm sure. If I told you one was plusher than the other, that would reflect more the particular bike's shock setup that day more than any inherent charactersitics of the linkage.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Always baffled...

I've owned a Burner and a Blur and won't go into suspension characteristics as that's been covered. Bearing failures and maintenance issues regarding the VVP Santa Cruz bikes would definitely weigh heavily in my decision. I'm always baffled as to how little some riders concern themselves with frame durabilty. If it matters to you, think Turner. If you ride in wet conditions, definitely think Turner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took a six pack

airwreck said:
Isn't inkpad up in Bend?

If he doesn't join in do a search for that user in this forum for some six pack comments.
dont have much to explain but I had both the nomad and still have the six pack I think you should just go with the bike that fits you best they both are burly trail bikes. one not better than the other. six pack just feels right. sold nomad to some guy in the UK on ebay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.