Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm going freaking nuts (and spending waaay to much time on the Turner/SC boards according to my GF) trying to decide on a Nomad or Turner 6-pack (or possibly an spesh Enduro).

I recently took the Nomad for a test ride around the bike shop hood-some nice stairs to ride down, small 1-2 flat drops, a steep street to ride up...it was niiiice! No pedal bob, but the thing is sooo freakin plush on the stairs & drops! The geometry felt really good for such a slack bike compared to what I ride now, and the extra weight felt totally manageable-and I especially tried to pay attention to the brake jack thing as I rode down the stairs w/ the brakes on, which I couldn't feel anything...

I should back up a step: This purchase will be my 'only' bike-from singletrack technical stuff in Bend, to lite freeride stuff in Falls City-and everything in between. I am selling 2 other bikes (my 3.9" FSR & 5" FSR trailbike for this). I was thinking my new 5" bike would have been the last bike for me-but I am just too heavy & wanting to do the jumps too much - I feel like I'm gonna break that thing already.

But I can't find a built up 6-pack ANYWHERE. A shop in Hood river (2hrs away) has offered to build one up just for me to test ride...but I can't exactly do back to back comparisons w/ the SC then.

Sooo...anyone on this board riddin both the SC & 6 pack enough to note the key differences? I keep going back & forth on the 6-pack-is it an effecient enough pedaler to be the 'one' bike? I plan to use the DHX air on it if I go Turner, mainly for weight savings, as my finished product goal wieght is ~ 32 pounds. But the 'Pack is soo damn simple looking its sexy, and the Turner reputation for quality, customer service(how many other bike mfgr have the OWNER posting on a regular basis on the MTBR forums??) and rider culture is a huge draw for me.

I was thinking SC was gonna get my business after my test ride, then I keep reading things about the VPP - like it totally has a 'numb?' feeling on the trails compared to other suspensions?? And bearing issues w/ Vpp bikes, SC percieved cust service on this board seems very poor...It seems there are alot of folks on here waiting 6+ weeks for their new bike after they were told 2 weeks...

I know no one can make the decision for me, but the forums have really helped me thus far...maybe there are some generous Homers out here in Oregon who will go on a ride w/ me & let me test drive the ol' Pack??? :)

thanks in advance,

JDub

·
Registered
729 Posts
Six Pack in my book

Rode both for a considerable amount of time and they are close in stability and handling however I give the edge to the six pack cause there wasn't any persitible pedal feedback. On the Nomad I felt a lot of it when climbing at a realative fast speed and hitting rock gardens, as I powered thru the rocks the pedals kicked back noticeably. Hope this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
well, I have a 6 pack that I have been riding and I just got my nomad here that I need to build up. ( so I can't tell you about that yet) but......
The Pack's angles feel strange to me after riding SC bikes for the last 4 years. The seat tube on the pack is very "straight up" feeling which makes the top tube seem short.
I felt more comfy on my 04 heckler or bullit, BUT, the pack's suspension really is plush. That FSR linkage works great in techy terrain, but the VPP stuff climbs really well ( I loved the way the VP free climbed) The pack just seems a little sluggish on climbs. By the time I would have the seatpost in the right place to climb it, I was WAY up in the air. ( high BB)Maybe it's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.