Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a set but can't seem to find any feedback on them yet. I currently run Nevegal 2.35's and have been mostly happy with them. Was just curious if the Excavators had less rolling resistance or if anyone has tried running them tubeless. The treads look very similar, I'm guessing the knobs are slightly smaller.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No I haven't tried them, but I have done exhaustive research on a nevegal replacement,

My bike came with 2.35 stick-e front /DTC rear. The front is great and the rear has great traction, but it rolls slow. I switched it to a Fat Albert and so far it is quicker, but gives up just a tad on loose fast cornering. I think it has to do with being more square than the nevegal.

Many say that the Schwalbe NN / FA / BB are good alternatives. The Nics being the fastest rollers of the bunch. Problem with the Betty's and Nics are so expensive.

I switched cause it was slow and if you go too low on pressure (25#) it is unrideable in the corners. Many find the sidewalls thin as well.

I also would love to try the Chunders and Eskars.

Rob

·
achiever
1,066 Posts
I just rode my first ride on 2.35DTC's today. They don't roll as well as the WTB Motoraptors I was using but they grip very well. I hit a lot of wet roots and they did better than the Motos by far. I'm going to be hitting some slicker trail in the morning. I'll let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Actually the knobs blocks....

on the Excavator are a bit larger than the blocks on the Nevie, and they are squared off rather than ramped and they're a bit deeper than the nevie blocks. The tire is primarily designed as a 4 cross downhill tire. So rolling resistance is not a primary consideration with them. The roll quite well for their desing, but a noticeably slower rolling on the flats than the Nevegal. Think about who the tire was designed by, none other than Eirc (EC) Carter, the dude made his name in downhill and 4 cross, all gravity sports. Even the narrower "XC" versions of the tire roll a bit slow. So if lower rolling resistance is what you are looking for, the Excavator probably ain't it. But they do have a ton of traction and will rip a corner a full lean very well. Just be ready for a little extra effort in the climbs and flats. But if you want, give em a try. Slower than the Nevie, but it's hard to beat the hook up you get from them.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've been rocking the 2.35 DTC front and 2.1 DTC rear combo for about a month. They are the best tire for overall handling that I have ridden. The downside to them is the rolling resistance as previously stated. They aren't the fastest rolling tire in the world but they are livable. I am doing a thirty five mile ride on them this weekend.

If I had to do it over I would get a faster rolling tire in the rear. That said, the 2.35 can't be beat for a front tire in all mountain applications imho. I ride front range and mountains of Colorado for terrain reference as tires handle differently in different conditions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just want to follow up. I finally got a set of excavators(2.35 DTC) and pretty much agree with what everyone here has said so far. The knobs are noticably bigger on the sides, then the knobs on my Nevegal's. Down the middle their ever so slighlty larger, but shaped different then Nev's and bite a little better. After a couple rides now, over very familiar terrain I noticed some pleasant riding differneces. They grab everything and just pull you along. Slow rock garden crawls were a blast. On a couple high speed, rocky downhills, I blasted right through with zero hesitation that they were going to wash out or fail to grab whatever I pointed them at. On hardpack trails they were overkill obvoiusly, but when it got sandy or loose they bit right down and felt great. We have a couple spots filled with beach-like sand that sneaks up on you and where my nev's and others have hit this stuff and kind of throw you off your line, these tires plowed right through as if it was just loose dirt.

On the downside though, they are noticably slower than the Nev's while just cruising along. Not a giant difference, but if your slow like me, and ride with fast people, don't expect an advantage with these tires. I won't be using these tires when the rides will consist of lots of climbing. I got through the climbs with no problems, but I think they'll wear you down over the long haul. At least hear on the east coast. I think once the middle tread wears down some they'll be even better to ride with. The rolling resistance will subside a little and you'll still have the advantage of the big side knob bite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.